NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Philthy

Who wants ports anyway?

Basically what the title sugests...

I've heard loads of comments about the Rev not getting ports etc etc.

I'm pretty much of the opinion that this is a great thing, and lets face it, who wants boring ports of games for other systems that don't use the unique features of the Rev controller? (Of course we all know that Rev will be able to use GCN controllers and the controller/shell add-on so there is no issue with ports anyway...)

On the flip side however, how many cool rev games are going to be able to be ported to the other consoles?

What this means is loads of exclusive Rev games and less mediocre ports. Something I could never be dissapointed with.

Whilst I agree with your comments in regard to bad ports, I certainly feel the Revolution needs some "normal" games just to ease the conversion process for gamers not quite sure about the Revo's unique gameplay ideas

Who wants ports? Mainstream gamers want them. Without games ported from other systems a console can barely or not at all survive. Look at Dreamcast for instance, it had no EA support which means no ports of James Bond, NFL, NHL, FIFA, NBA, and so many more. You need third party games to keep your system afloat.

If nintendo can keep devlopment cheap like they said they would, hopefully we won't need ports! Still, for ports and stuff they're releasing the "traditional" controller shell, so porting third-party games to Revo shouldn't be too much of a problem anyway.

Isnt one of the big pulling features of the Rev being able to download ports of your favourite previous-gen games? Or are you guys not planning on using that?

________

Honda cbr900rr

Edited by Johelian

If third parties can't port their games, then they will not support the Revolution. No third party support means lack of games. Lack of games means less people will buy Revolution. The less people who buy Revolution, the more of a failure it is. Simple as that.

Without good support a console cannot achieve huge sales, it's as simple as that. And 3rd parties can't afford to make games exclusive all the time, so even if I don't play the FIFAs I still want them to be on Revolution.

Hey, hey, I'm not meaning no support!

I'm just saying I'd rather take the new unique Rev software than sloppy ports.

Of course the ports will be around and I'd hope that a lot of games are ported over (maybe RE5 and MGS4). If that's the case though it would be nice that they try to include some features exclusive to the Rev version.

I'm not sure ports are the best way to describe multiformat games.

GC Bond: From Russia With Love isn't a port of the PS2/XBox version. Its being developed alongside them. EXG3 was a port, since it was developed from the existing PS2 code. Thats the difference, i believe.

Multiformat games are essential. Not having them would be a disaster for Nintendo, since EA's sports titles (sadly) are a reason many buy into gaming, along with other multiformat titles. Nintendo will no doubt do their best to encourage developers to use the motion tracking function on these titles, but many may choose not to.

I've been playing games for 15 years. I have had enough of the standard ways of playing. I am totally with Phillthy and Nintendo, I want something new. It will be nice to play games with the old way of playing, but only as a secondary option. Much like being able to play Gameboy games on the DS (incidentally I haven't played 1 GBA game on DS, only DS games...). I am betting that once playing with this controller it will be unlikely I'll really want to go back for extended playing sessions anyway. Since the move to 3D I find it hard to enjoy 2D gameplay. It's too restricting.

As for people's argument that the mainstream want ports in the old style. I sincerely doubt that the mainstream will be able to avoid the appeal of online virtual reality in your living room for around £200.

Sign in to follow this