NEurope

Well, think about it people. How else do you top an intro where you get executed?

Just got an e-mail from GAME, looks like GAME.co.uk are sending out pre-orders early to avoid delays due to the postal strike.

I have to admit, I'm feeling a leetle bit irksome about that opening sequence.

Right I'm saying this now to avoid confusion later:

if anyone talks about this intro without spoiler tags I'm going to Red you, and ban you from this sub forum.

I really don't want to spoil this one for myself so please, for your own good, spoiler like your life depends on it.

Hell, you should even spoiler your reactions just in case i can work out what happens contextually. I'll be just as mad, and abuse my power for personal vengeance just as much.

judge_dredd.jpg

I'm going to protest for equal modding of all topics made. Personal preference should not factor in the enforcement of bans! Some of Uncharted 2 was spoiled for me but did you pretend to give a shit by saying you'd ban those who sinned through spoilerific posts? No. But you are interested in this game and you are modding differently for your personal benefit!

I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my forum brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.

Right I'm saying this now to avoid confusion later:

if anyone talks about this intro without spoiler tags I'm going to Red you, and ban you from this sub forum.

I really don't want to spoil this one for myself so please, for your own good, spoiler like your life depends on it.

Hell, you should even spoiler your reactions just in case i can work out what happens contextually. I'll be just as mad, and abuse my power for personal vengeance just as much.

judge_dredd.jpg

I'm going to protest for equal modding of all topics made. Personal preference should not factor in the enforcement of bans! Some of Uncharted 2 was spoiled for me but did you pretend to give a shit by saying you'd ban those who sinned through spoilerific posts? No. But you are interested in this game and you are modding differently for your personal benefit!

I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my forum brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.

Hell yeah I'm with dwarf on this one...

Still don't know what to do. Obviously I want to buy this game. But the price, the silly mans comments...I don't want to!! Bah!! I blatantly will but I'll suck on a lemon and dab salt on my eye every cut scene to teach myself a valuable lesson....

I'm talking about the spoilers:

WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING???

What the **** is appealing about having such a gruesome sequence like that in the game?? It'd be acceptable if it was a cut-scene, and purely observational, but actually making it a playable level? Where you actively go and head hunt, and plan strategy? Jesus Christ!

Activision are socially, morally and corporately irresponsible. They know there's a sizable chunk of their audience that will abuse the level, and glorify it.

I'm going to play the game, because I'd otherwise enjoy the game, and yes, I do have a morbid curiosity for the mass-murder terrorist level, but I'm not a silly little boy that gets easily influenced, nor will Igo on YouTube and glorify the killings, and nor will I hack the engine and create my own Machinima.

Activision should know better. I'm shocked and appalled, as a consumer, and I hope this is a one-off thing.

Video gaming is an immersive experience - you ARE the character, you are living the story. It's not the same experience as film or television, like say 24 or Sleeper Cell, which have contained similar plots but are observational and responsible. Nor is this game the same as GTA, because that's not reality, it's an OTT universe where everybody is immoral and sinful, and that's the so-called justification of being a crook or vigilante.

This game however is based on real life emotions and feelings. A level like this is an emotional mind-f**k, that will make a lot of delicate people with issues even more fragile and volatile.

My god, what the heck...

I am incredibly disappointed to the degree that I will gladly slap or punch the game's lead designer, and get arrested for it. It's things like this that prevent mainstream media from taking gaming seriously.

I do acknowledge Activision's efforts to have the sequence skippable, but it shouldn't be there in the first place.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Edited by Black Diamond

I'm talking about the spoilers:

WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING???

What the **** is appealing about having such a gruesome sequence like that in the game?? It'd be acceptable if it was a cut-scene, and purely observational, but actually making it a playable level? Where you actively go and head hunt, and plan strategy? Jesus Christ!

Activision are socially, morally and corporately irresponsible. They know there's a sizable chunk of their audience that will abuse the level, and glorify it.

I'm going to play the game, because I'd otherwise enjoy the game, and yes, I do have a morbid curiosity for the mass-murder terrorist level, but I'm not a silly little boy that gets easily influenced, nor will Igo on YouTube and glorify the killings, and nor will I hack the engine and create my own Machinima.

Activision should know better. I'm shocked and appalled, as a consumer, and I hope this is a one-off thing.

Video gaming is an immersive experience - you ARE the character, you are living the story. It's not the same experience as film or television, like say 24 or Sleeper Cell, which have contained similar plots but are observational and responsible. Nor is this game the same as GTA, because that's not reality, it's an OTT universe where everybody is immoral and sinful, and that's the so-called justification of being a crook or vigilante.

This game however is based on real life emotions and feelings. A level like this is an emotional mind-f**k, that will make a lot of delicate people with issues even more fragile and volatile.

My god, what the heck...

I am incredibly disappointed to the degree that I will gladly slap or punch the game's lead designer, and get arrested for it. It's things like this that prevent mainstream media from taking gaming seriously.

I do acknowledge Activision's efforts to have the sequence skippable, but it shouldn't be there in the first place.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Get over it.

I agree with Black Diamond. It wouldn't put me off buying the game but the benefit of mowing down civilians in a game that is striving for realism is unclear for me. It's foolish and unnecessary.

I agree with Black Diamond. It wouldn't put me off buying the game but the benefit of mowing down civilians in a game that is striving for realism is unclear for me. It's foolish and unnecessary.

Beware of TEH LAW!!

You're such a cunt :)

OH SHIT. I seriously forgot. Uhhh, better scarper I guess.

Lol jokes Dan that's not what happens, I'm glad I got ya.

Dan Dare, there is still time to wipe your memory. You just need to get absolutely plastered with the strongest Alcohol you can find. Then go out in a blaze of glory. Hopefully by the time you wake up, you won't remember a thing.

Have you actually seen the video leetpants? Because that's not actually what happens. Face it, you both got dwarfed!

The only thing that will come of this is, we'll have one less argument against Jack Thompson, ect. We just won't be able to say

"there isn't a game where you go through a building shooting innocents"

But seeing as we have other stronger arguments, its not really a big deal.

Apparently there's a trophy for not gunning down the civilians when playing that level, so you are rewarded for not taking part in it.

In all honesty, I think Activision/Infinity Ward are trying to see how well controversy marketing will work for this sort of game. Its going to be all over the news in a few weeks when someone from the mainstream media hears about this, which basically gives the game free marketing.

I also don't see this being that much worse than playing something like inFamous as evil.

That's obviously the most shittily conceived achievement, because the player in the video still killed about a dozen people. The achievement should be from NOT KILLING ANYONE AT ALL.

From fourzerotwo's tweet....

Won't comment on leaks. Too many spoilers out there being viewed out of context. I'd avoid watching & reserve judgement till you play

I think the key words here are 'out of context'. We simply don't know much about that particular chapter. Anything could have happened in the story leading up to it.

That's obviously the most shittily conceived achievement, because the player in the video still killed about a dozen people. The achievement should be from NOT KILLING ANYONE AT ALL.

Did you read Emasher's post? Thats exactly what the Trophy/Achievement is for.

I think the key words here are 'out of context'. We simply don't know much about that particular chapter. Anything could have happened in the story leading up to it.

Oh please, it's not that hard to put it into context, we've all seen 24:

- you're playing an undercover terrorist, who's a good guy and has to convince himself in the cutscenes to kill innocents

- he does the deed, secures himself as an integral member of the terrorist group

- this somehow justifies the killings, because it means your character will be able to take down the entire terror cell from the inside, saving many more lives in the long-run

- but your character still feels the guilt, and become suicidal, or whatever

- blah-blah-blah

The idea is not original. It's rather standard. Making any artistic value is has a moot point.

And even still, the gamer doesn't actually have TO PLAY THE DAMN SCENARIO, why not just have it as an interactive cutscene, like the last game's intro??

Did you read Emasher's post? Thats exactly what the Trophy/Achievement is for.

No.

The guy in the video killed about a dozen people, including children. He obviously chose not to kill hundreds, and was awarded for showing restraint, but he still killed those 12 people to begin with.

The only achievement should be for not killing anybody. Because mass murder, even if selective and restrained, should never be awarded.

Edited by Black Diamond
Automerged Doublepost

Oh please, it's not that hard to put it into context, we've all seen 24:

- you're playing an undercover terrorist, who's a good guy and has to convince himself in the cutscenes to kill innocents

- he does the deed, secures himself as an integral member of the terrorist group

- this somehow justifies the killings, because it means your character will be able to take down the entire terror cell from the inside, saving many more lives in the long-run

- but your character still feels the guilt, and become suicidal, or whatever

- blah-blah-blah

The idea is not original. It's rather standard. Making any artistic value is has a moot point.

And even still, the gamer doesn't actually have TO PLAY THE DAMN SCENARIO, why not just have it as an interactive cutscene, like the last game's intro??

So whats your problem with it?

So whats your problem with it?

It serves no artistic purpose.

The only reason its in the game, aside from the free publicity, is to ensure this is the "black-market" game of the year for under-18s.

Activision have put their hunger for sales above ethics. To them, it doesn't matter how old the gamer is, as long as they're making $60+ off of them. A sale is still a sale at the end of the day.

As I said before, just because they can, doesn't mean they should. That's why many people are upset, including media-types like myself.

I read somewhere that there's a trophy/achievement for not killing anyone. I haven't even watched the entire video TBH. Looking at the entire trophy list there doesn't seem to be one for not killing anyone, or showing restraint. So never mind that.

In all honesty, what makes killing people in this context worse than killing people in inFamous?