NEurope

The characters in the trailer are a little unusual looking for a CoD game, one with a death mask, one with a Mohican. Some kind of character-customisation option in there somewhere possibly?

I can not wait for this game, still playing COD 4 everyday. Would be good if we had a N-E match some time.

I can not wait for this game, still playing COD 4 everyday. Would be good if we had a N-E match some time.

Give me 6 days and a chance to get my XBL back up and running, and you're on. Due to excessive playing of this game last summer, I alone can cause entire teams of cocky 15 year old Yanks to run away whimpering, so I can't wait to see what team N-E does to them... :awesome:

Haha, you're on guys. Havn't jumped in to this for ages but would love to play it again with some N-E'ers.

MW2 is looking to be the dog's bollocks at this rate!

I cannot wait for this game. I love COD4, and have been playing online for a looong time.

I'm now 7th prestige, 55k kills, and a nice 24 killstreak.

I cannot wait for this game. I love COD4, and have been playing online for a looong time.

I'm now 7th prestige, 55k kills, and a nice 24 killstreak.

Do you play on the 360 or PS3?

I've never played COD4 but this looks awesome.

Maybe I will get myself a copy of COD4.

Are there still many people playing it?

shit loads.

This and your post sold me to COD4. There probably aren't 13 million active players but I guess "shit loads" is enough.

I'd probably place a bet on it being the most populated game on Xbox live.

New info from a dutch magazine

Singleplayer:

- To handle the pressure, Infinity Ward put up a selective filter on community feedback, and at some point simply decided: "this is how the game is going to be."

- Both bullets and grenades now have realistic physics. Bullets will ricochet off walls and grenades will realistically fall down stairs.

- It is now possible to hold a handgun in one hand and a knife in the other, comparable to how Solid Snake holds them together in MGS3 and 4.

- There will most probably be an underwater level, since a heavily armed Navy Seal diver was shown off (as in the trailer).

- One of the levels is called 'International Cyber Space Lab'. Will CoD go into space, or is this some derelict Russian missile base?

- Bullettime is featured in the game, but will only be triggered at key points. It's not some super power which you can activate with a press of a button.

- More innocent bystanders and civilians will be present in the warzones, and though it isn't your mission, you wont be punished if you shoot them down.

- Every time you finish a level, a Challenge will be unlocked. These challenges are comparable to Horde Mode from Gears 2, only with a time element added to it. The faster you kill everyone, the higher your rank will become.

- You can play the Challenges in split screen and they will most probably be playable online as well.

- New weapons will be introduced (while some others will be dropped), and since you're part of Task Force 121, you will have access to the most advanced weaponry available.

- One example of such an advanced weapon is a gun equipped with a heartbeat sensor, which you will use in the 'snow level' to detect enemies from dozens of feet away.

- Existing weapons are completely remodelded and as such are much more detailed this time around. For example, a scope can get smudged while a red dot sight will dissappear when you aren't targeting anything.

- You can destroy much more of your environment. For example, you can shoot at a firefighters pump which will cause a huge geiser to errupt, blocking part of your sight.

- Another example: you can shoot at a gas station, which not only causes an explosion, but the gasline will then flail around like crazy while flames erupt from it.

Multiplayer:

- A couple new multiplayer modes will be introduced, but they wont be revealed until after E3. All modes are completely new and have never been featured in any other game.

- New perks will be introduced.

- The riot shield will be a perk. It will be possible to carry the shield with two people, while a third shoots from behind it's cover.

The first three levels details

- The 'snow level' takes place somewhere in Kazakhstan and is called 'Cliffhanger'.

- The level starts off with climbing a ridge which, from their description, sounds mostly scripted, though you do the climbing yourself by pressing the triggers.

- General MacTavish makes a return and is featured in this first level.

- Once you've climbed up the ridge, you will make a trek through the snow, while your sight is slightly blocked due to falling snow, so you'll have to make use of your weapons' heartbeat sensor.

- This level is described as an infiltration mission, where you have to use stealth to advance, comparable to Ghillies in the Mist from the first game.

- After a couple of stealth kills and the placement of several explosives, you get caught and are forced to trigger the explosions early. Now shit hits the fan and all hell breaks loose in true Call of Duty fare.

- During the huge firefight, with soldiers, helicopters and jets all over the place, you make your escape on the well known snowmobile, racing downhill while fighting off pursuers.

- The 'Brazil level' takes place in Favela, a shanty town in Rio de Janeiro.

- Level starts out with you sitting in a car when suddenly you get fired upon.

- You are forced to leave the vehicle, as your driver got shot and bullets are still flying all over the place.

- Your mission here is to chase down some guy while not killing him, so it's a capture mission.

- Loads of stuff happening in this level too: civilians screaming and running away, exploding cars, dead bodies everywhere, it's utter chaos.

- After shooting the target in the leg, the demo ends, which is because they haven't finished the level yet.

- Infinity Ward now uses texture streaming, which enables them to construct much bigger levels. They show this off by zooming out of the Favela level.

- The lighting is greatly improved, with much more subtle details everywhere.

- The entire level is described as having loads of detail, with lots of shacks everywhere and alleys going in every direction, as well as newspapers blowing in the wind.

- The developer hints to Favela being a multiplayer map as well.

- A third level takes place in the desert.

- You drive off to a cliff, which you will rapel down from.

- After this, you will enter a cave and fight underground.

- The scene in the cave strongly resembles the scene from the Iron Man movie where Tony Stark constructed his first suit, which is something the developer was shooting for intentionally.

- The cave consists of a seemingly endless amount of corridors, and numerous large rooms.

Me and platty play COD quite a bit online. we was kicking some ass last night!

PlayStation 3

Me and a friend play just about every night, mainly S&D. If you fancy teaming up with us (both 10th prestige) add me on PSN.

CoD4 was pretty much the only call of duty game i liked. The others didn't really pull me in, you can only play through WW2 so many times untill it gets boring. Pre-ordered this a few days ago, should be kick ass.

Cod4 was much more mainstream/arcadey in terms of gameplay, the earlier games were much more epic and more niche as it was harder to master especially online.

Not that it's a bad game but it's fairly easy to rack up kills.

Edited by The-Ironflame

Cod4 was much more mainstream/arcadey in terms of gameplay, the earlier games were much more epic and more niche as it was harder to master especially online.

Not that it's a bad game but it's fairly easy to rack up kills.

The fact it was subtitled modern warfare explains the increased kill count - the prevalence of automatic weapons and telescopic sights makes the killing easier...

Why isn't there a thread already?

Anyway, looks like a lot of fun.

Big disappointment: announcement of map packs. They should think about stuff like that once the game is finished.

COD online to be subscription-based?

Activision may be considering a subscription-based multiplayer option for the Call of Duty series.

The service would be "in addition" to features the series offers today, according to a mysterious survey drudged up by Destructoid. In other words: you wouldn't lose, only gain.

The paid-for service "may" offer early access to content like map packs and betas; increase character customisation options; add enhanced statistic-tracking and community features; include exclusive in-game modes and challenges; and open a suite of team-management services for competitive play.

Examples given are persistent attributes that carry over from game to game, War Rooms to meet and plan in and exclusive tournaments and leagues.

These will be paid for monthly, quarterly or yearly, or included with Special Edition versions of the game at retail. The survey asks, "How likely are you to purchase or subscribe to this online service when the next Call of Duty game comes out?"

Activision told Eurogamer it does not comment on rumour and speculation.

But it's not the first time Activision has mulled over the idea of a more ambitious online approach for Call of Duty - a series that has an already popular and robust multiplayer segment.

"When you think about other properties that we own and control like Call of Duty, and what would be the natural evolution of a property like Call of Duty into a massively multiplayer environment, and how do you monetise that, the same rules apply," said Kotick in March 2008, leaking learning from talks with Blizzard while the pair discussed mergers.

Taken From Eurogamer

Seeing as I have never play a COD game, initially I care little. BUT if this were to prove successful, or at least be acceptable to some gamers, I would not be surprised if other FPS developers copied the idea. Thus if this idea spread to the few fps that I own and play online, I would be a little more than pissed as really, I associate such pricing structures with MMOs and that's it.

SO...if I were to take this survey I would say big fat HELL NO. Also, with Activision's recent activities and the way they like to milk franchises, I am totally not surprised by this bit of news and actually suspect they could have purposefully leaked this info to see what people's reactions would be.