NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Noku

Multiplatform Wii titles on the horizon?

Now that we've had our share of exclusives (Deadly Creatures, HotD:OK, Madworld, soon The Conduit), I was wondering what (quality) multiplatform titles are confirmed heading to the Wii.

I got a little depressed.

What I've got: Colin McRae DIRT, Tiger Woods 10 and (finally) Pro Evo '09

Note that this is to be a thread about multiplatform titles, so Overlord Wii, Dead Space Extraction, RE:UC2 don't really count towards this particular criterion.

..hmm.. I'm not even sure Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 counts considering just how different the game is :heh:

I'm definitely interested in seeing DiRT though.. haven't played a good 'realistic' racer in a while..

Ghostbusters is totally different for the Wii (not to say that it'll therefore be bad, it just isn't the sort of game I was having in mind).

Overlooked Virtua Tennis, hopefully another quality piece of Sega :)

Those Activision Hero titles are growing old and tiresome imho...

Came up with the thread because of Max Payne 3 being announced yesterday, no Wii release in sight. Mafia 2, no Wii release in sight. Godfather 2, no Wii release in sight. Gearbox's Aliens title, the Witcher console port, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2, no... well you get the picture.

Multi-format game I'm looking forward to are Indiana Jones and The Staff of Kings, Rock Band : The Beatles and hopefully Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2.

..hmm.. I'm not even sure Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 counts considering just how different the game is :heh:

I was thinking that, but didn't want to reduce his list to 2 games :smile:

I was thinking that, but didn't want to reduce his list to 2 games :smile:

I was thinking that too :(

If you're looking for multiplatform Wii games, the only games that come to mind are PS2 ports sadly enough.

and hopefully Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2.

That's the only one I really care about at this point. Hopefully now that they've got the engine for the Wii they'll do it.

Came up with the thread because of Max Payne 3 being announced yesterday, no Wii release in sight. Mafia 2, no Wii release in sight. Godfather 2, no Wii release in sight. Gearbox's Aliens title, the Witcher console port, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2, no... well you get the picture.

I don't think you should expect these types of games for Wii either. The technological and control differences between Wii and PS3/X360/PC are just to big. A Wii version, if possible, will require serious downgrades, and perhaps a separate development team, different engine etc.

I'll rather have exclusive games to fully utilize Wii's potential than multiplatform games that will be inferior to its PS3/X360/PC counterparts.

Resident Evil 5....(hey, I can dream, can't I? You gotta admit, it'd kick ass on the Wii)

I don't think you should expect these types of games for Wii either. The technological and control differences between Wii and PS3/X360/PC are just to big. A Wii version, if possible, will require serious downgrades, and perhaps a separate development team, different engine etc.

I'll rather have exclusive games to fully utilize Wii's potential than multiplatform games that will be inferior to its PS3/X360/PC counterparts.

I think I should. I think we all should. Look at CoD: WaW. Look at DiRT (well, at the moment there's not much to look at, but trusting Codemasters, it'll be worth it).

Approaching them differently (Overlord: Dark Legend, Ghostbusters) is one thing, but I crave for some epic-ness à la Mafia, Max Payne and Bioware RPG's. Don't see why they shouldn't really. Demographics schmaphics. If properly marketed, any title can sell on Wii.

Resident Evil 5....(hey, I can dream, can't I? You gotta admit, it'd kick ass on the Wii)

Just play Resi 4 again. You aren't missing much. RE4 is a better game anyway. Especially on Wii.

Approaching them differently (Overlord: Dark Legend, Ghostbusters) is one thing, but I crave for some epic-ness à la Mafia, Max Payne and Bioware RPG's. Don't see why they shouldn't really. Demographics schmaphics. If properly marketed, any title can sell on Wii.

It's about whether it is worth it for the company. Like someone said it'll need a new/different engine (This means downgrading textures/AI/DLC) and another development team. This costs a lot of money. And when you have a combined audience of Just under 50 million people on the PS3 and 360, it never really going to be worth the risk.

If you want 'epic' games, the Wii isn't the place imo.

Edited by Daft
Automerged Doublepost

You're contradicting yourself :D

Resi 4 is one of the most epic games I ever played in the entirety of my puny life.

Back in the N64 day, so was Perfect Dark.

Hence, I don't see why making epic Wii titles can't generate moneybags. CoD: WaW's already nearing the 1 million mark.

You're contradicting yourself :D

Resi 4 is one of the most epic games I ever played in the entirety of my puny life.

Back in the N64 day, so was Perfect Dark.

Hence, I don't see why making epic Wii titles can't generate moneybags. CoD: WaW's already nearing the 1 million mark.

Contradicting myself? About the user base numbers, yes I suppose. I'm just saying there are more than enough users on the PS360 boat to not need to bother about a console that still has adverts on TV promoting WiiSports as it's selling point.

Yeah, Resi 4 was, and still is, awesome. Resi 5 is just a bit meh. It actually just gets a bit silly. The co-op if fun though.

The term 'epic' is always going to be relative. In comparison to the high powered consoles, the Wii is never going to be tempting to put epic games on over the other two. The definition of epic being God of War III and that's not possible on the Wii.

WaW on the other two consoles has blown the Wii version out of the water sales wise. Developers see Wii Fit and WiiPlay being the only constant hard hitting games selling on the console and it's no surprise they choose not to pander to a crowd that doesn't especially seem to care about 'epic' games.

It's about whether it is worth it for the company. Like someone said it'll need a new/different engine (This means downgrading textures/AI/DLC) and another development team. This costs a lot of money. And when you have a combined audience of Just under 50 million people on the PS3 and 360, it never really going to be worth the risk.

Suddenly porting games between the two HD consoles became incredibly easy...

Suddenly porting games between the two HD consoles became incredibly easy...

If you take the PS3 as a lead, it is relatively. And then if you release it again on PC, another equal tier platform, then your potential customer base goes up even more. You could just release it for 360 and PC and that is definitely very easy for developers to do.

In fact PC games have no requirements. They don't have standards to meet, they can be as buggy as hell on release (Just look at any PC game by Square). Saves a lot of money.

And when you are doubling/tripling you're audience with minimal effort, it is time well invested.

Contradicting myself?

I just found it funny that you commended Resi 4 for the Wii in the same thread in which you said there were no epic Wii games.

Well, technically, you're correct, seeing as Resi 4 is Gamecube-software really.

Couldn't care for God of War III. I've got Madworld and Kratos never really interested me all that much. You know, with the raping of the holiest of holy mythologies and all that.

Yeah, I generally consider Resi 4 a Gamecube game. The Wii version is the best version, easily.

I also don't consider it epic tbh. Epic is something extraordinary in size or scope. RE4 is a zombie game, set in a village, about a kidnapping.

I love warped takes on mythology (And tbh, after anything Disney have done, GoWIII could have guns and spaceships in it and not be as bad :heh: ).

For another point of view, Madworld is simply bastardising some stylised worlds within comics. ;)

If you take the PS3 as a lead, it is relatively. And then if you release it again on PC, another equal tier platform, then your potential customer base goes up even more. You could just release it for 360 and PC and that is definitely very easy for developers to do.

In fact PC games have no requirements. They don't have standards to meet, they can be as buggy as hell on release (Just look at any PC game by Square). Saves a lot of money.

And when you are doubling/tripling you're audience with minimal effort, it is time well invested.

The PC market has been declining ever since publisher focus changed to consoles, but I can understand a port between 360 and PC, sometimes it can be as easy as right click > "port to 360". The PS3 on the other hand is a completely different hardware, and even if you share many of the resources and assets, it takes some serious tweaking to the code.

I wish the Wii hardware when used at its best was the lowest common denominator and then ported to the other consoles :P

Alot of 'multiplatform' Wii games arn't really multiplatform. Taking COD:WAW for instance, the Wii version really isn't the PS360 version - it was made by a different team entirely at Treyarch, on it's own engine, with it's own artists, and codes etc. It shared some resources like Voice acting, perhaps even some art stuff but it's pretty much a different game from the PS360 version, just with the same title, and same story, and same level design etc.

If I was going to say a true multiplatform title it'd be Sonic Unleashed. That was made on the Wii then upscaled and 'improved' for the HD consoles, it's only really viable to do it that way, and is normally at a loss to the HD systems... which is why it only happens with games like Sonic, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro etc.

But er, games coming to all systems in some form? That Wolverine game, GI Joe...mmm.

The PC market has been declining ever since publisher focus changed to consoles, but I can understand a port between 360 and PC, sometimes it can be as easy as right click > "port to 360". The PS3 on the other hand is a completely different hardware, and even if you share many of the resources and assets, it takes some serious tweaking to the code.

I wish the Wii hardware when used at its best was the lowest common denominator and then ported to the other consoles :P

Corrention, the PC retail market has been declining.

The PC gaming market still generates more revenue then any individual console or handheld every yeah, and that's including their hardware sales revenue, which PC doesn't have the luxary to receive.

One thing is games like CoD: WaW, another thing is Mafia 2 and others with big, open worlds, incredible graphics with loads of stuff going on. Even with a custom engine, and throwing a lot of money into a Wii version I just don't see it would be possible without degrading the experience too much. When developers complain about the lack of RAM on PS3, imagine Wii...

Less technically ambitious games and where the control system makes sense such as Virtua Tennis is perfect for Wii though.

What this man said:

Corrention, the PC retail market has been declining.

The PC gaming market still generates more revenue then any individual console or handheld every yeah, and that's including their hardware sales revenue, which PC doesn't have the luxary to receive.

Also, 'tweaking' a game for the PS3 is still relatively a lot easier than rebuilding a game for the Wii and compared to the sales made up from that 'tweak', it is an easy choice to make for developers.

Devs have also been saying that if they lead on the PS3 then porting over is a lot easier and in some cases beneficial to the game as a whole. You just have to look at the facts though, multiplatform games aren't being ported to the Wii.

I concur with all of the arguments why the Wii isn't suitable for big, open worlded games, but why did the PS2 get Mafia ported? Max Payne? Deus Ex? Did those games sell that well on the PS2?

Sign in to follow this