NEurope
S.C.G

Post your Cooking!

Depends what you're trying to replace? I used some vegan cheese from tesco on top of my pies yesterday that imitate "Italian hard cheese", although it's nowhere near as finely grated as Parmesan. It's not too bad but that is in part because it just melts anyway and is absorbed into the pastry.

Does cranberry sauce go with bacon? It's great in a brie and ham sandwich, but bacon is a different kettle of fish.

• Like 1

On 10/08/2020 at 8:11 AM, bob said:

Have you managed to find a vegan cheese that doesn't taste like feet?

I've found most of the supermarket's own brand vegan cheeses are awful for their smell (and I'm not keen on their taste either). Tescos, Sainsbury's and Asda's own brand vegan cheeses smell of wet dog to me and taste like it too which is horrible. The best I've found are things like Violife (especially their cheddar block), though this does begin to stink the longer open. Sheese is great of you can find it. It does smell at bit but tastes great and works really well for pizzas and such. Also got some Green Vie vegan cheese from a local vegan store up here and both the cheddar and mozzarella are great, the latter being maybe a tad stronger than mozzarella would normally be. Melts great and has a good smell that's not too strong. Don't know how readily available it is elsewhere for buying though.

Cashew based cheeses are the ones that have tasted the best overall when I've had it eating out but I've yet to find somewhere up here that's selling the stuff to give it a proper try with my cooking.

4 hours ago, Mr_Odwin said:

Does cranberry sauce go with bacon? It's great in a brie and ham sandwich, but bacon is a different kettle of fish.

I think it should, right? When we do pigs in blankets at Christmas or have the bacon that we’ve wrapped the turkey in it’s great with all the sauces. I’ll definitely try including some next time!

Made some scrambled egg on toast:

76717048-5C7C-4289-9644-8AF68F4B7F40.jpeg.eb29877642d1f542a1956a8304f0f834.jpeg

And then dinner time was home made chili (I also made the sides too):

AF364885-E5A2-44E4-86D6-34DC7C95601A.jpeg.6195387a56061b3031adac551aad22b9.jpeg4160FEB6-41E5-4073-AFB3-3FF980719186.jpeg.218f89a0588672df986015e4c1029170.jpeg7CDE98C4-A5BD-491B-A37C-CCEA0264B8C4.jpeg.615259c95a7144dccb21429738d4e0fa.jpeg75B4B4DF-44B3-4D1A-88BD-4A24F2371037.jpeg.ebfbbf4257f330226bd1d05d8674a8d5.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Having to send photos of everything I eat and drink to my PT has at least got me putting in more of an effort and even trying out some new recipes. Plus they are mostly vegan as I'm trying to reduce dairy intake. Of the ones below the only non-vegan part is the tzatziki dip.

bWcZ5GMcUWbgqcpzEvB-HTcrfvQW79uZ1VhQ0I6W   jVKm9KRh3b-FQdVForK4Oa9f3WyUAjw-SMABRYD1

FReeetB4u1dyVJ2XFgmOSZIYe6VqXmgAi7aDPqjF   gE_FzBslGnT_yT7BBEZBi3PXp1XB8Xr3JExr_U2s

(hmm this post looked better in the editor as I had the photos in a 2x2 grid. curses)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Ashley said:

(hmm this post looked better in the editor as I had the photos in a 2x2 grid. curses)

Can’t you just edit the width of them so it looks lovely again?

The meals look great, would definitely eat those!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, will' said:

Can’t you just edit the width of them so it looks lovely again?

The meals look great, would definitely eat those!

That would require effort.

Cauliflower steaks with harissa and goats cheese on cous cous tonight. Definitely not vegan. 

IMG_20200823_191604.jpg

Corn dogs are a weird one. I always think they look quite tasty and when I eat one I think it’s a good way to ruin a sausage. Not sure if I’ve just been unlucky or have some genuine dislike for them. It does look like a meal I’d enjoy with a few beers.

Made the roasted broccoli, aubergine and tofu with (teriyaki) rice dish again tonight. Such an easy and tasty thing to make.

Hope y'all are well.

You guys ever had Pizza Pilgrims? Pretty nice pizza joint with a few branches in the UK - they do a "Pizza in the post" thing now, and it is absolutely brilliant! The instructions for cooking (frying pan for a bit, then under a super hot grill) worked absolutely perfectly, and being not-near-London, means that ingredients like good quality mozzarella and tomatoes are a pipe dream, so having those ingredients with it makes it delicious. Highly recommended. Works out £20 for 2 with postage.

4 hours ago, Cube said:

I've written up my second recipe. Decided to get a plugin for a proper recipe style which looks much nicer (and includes important metadata for search engines to pick up), even included estimated nutrition information.

The recipe: Takeaway style Chinese chicken with mushrooms.

https://djcube.co.uk/recipes/chinese-takeaway-chicken-mushroom/

Out of interest is the nutritional information calculated automatically based on the plugin or are you figuring that out?

Some recent stuff:

PXL-20200927-194022797.jpg 

food2.jpg

food3.jpg 

food4.jpg

PT has got me eating eggs which I'm not really a fan of (and also bad at cooking) so if anyone has any vegetarian egg recipes I'm all ears.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cube said:

@Ashley I found a calculator online:

https://www.verywellfit.com/recipe-nutrition-analyzer-4157076

You can just paste in the ingredients, resolve stuff it can't figure out and it'll give you the information. You can also select certain brands (I was surprised to get British ones, so it may detect region).

So I use that and paste the information into the plugin 

Cheers.

I'm not counting calories but am trying to hit certain calorie loss targets and also focus on certain areas (such as protein and B12 and lowering carbs) so that would be useful cheers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

Cheers.

I'm not counting calories but am trying to hit certain calorie loss targets and also focus on certain areas (such as protein and B12 and lowering carbs) so that would be useful cheers.

Have you tried MyFitnessPal? I use it to track my calories, carbs, proteins and fats. There's a big database of things plus you can scan barcodes on products too. Not sure if it will cover exactly what you need it for, but might be worth checking out if you haven't already. :) 

33 minutes ago, Eenuh said:

Have you tried MyFitnessPal? I use it to track my calories, carbs, proteins and fats. There's a big database of things plus you can scan barcodes on products too. Not sure if it will cover exactly what you need it for, but might be worth checking out if you haven't already. :) 

Years and years ago. It's more because I'm mostly cooking now and go for unscientific measuring so it's always going to be taken with a pinch of salt (forgive me).

Just looked at Fitbit let's you log food as well but either you scan a barcode or you put in a custom calories so I'd have to use something like Cube did. Or I guess could put in the individual components but it seems like a faff.

Like I said I'm not really watching the calories, but would be curious if it wasn't so much of an effort. Might slowly over time make up "custom foods" for the components I guess. 

Why do you do all your cooking at your computer desk?

1 minute ago, bob said:

Why do you do all your cooking at your computer desk?

It's more that the PC monitor is on the dining table, which sits in front of the sofa in the lounge. One of us will game on the PC and the other will game on the TV.

Usually the kitchen is too messy for photos.

• Like 1

What's the best way of sharing photos on this forum, is it possible to link directly from my Google photos?