NEurope
S.C.G

Post your Cooking!

So was watching Man v Food last night and saw a Juicy Lucy with added Jalapeno Peppers inside the burger. I HAD to make it today.

This is it cooking in he halogen oven (I added a marple flavour rasher to top it off).... I was pan frying it to cook it but it started to open up so put in the oven to help reduce loss of cheese due to leakage :heh:

IMAG3870.jpg

And here it is on the bun.

On the bottom bun I put mayo and mustard, then some onions, then the juicy lucy with rasher on top, some tomatoes on top of that with some BBQ sauce.

It was AWESOME

IMAG3871.jpg

So I've been cooking for (at least) 4 people for pretty much every day of 2012. It's become a hobby by now, and I've tried my hand at a lot of things. I'm still an incredible noob and there's loads of basic things I don't really know. Self-taught (as most of our generation are, I guess?)

fVD0Lh.jpg

We make pizza every friday, typically I do mine with tomato, basil, oregano, [italian 4-cheese mix], salami/chorizo, ham, pepper, onion, mushroom, sweetcorn, spinach, olives, jalapenos and artichokes!

V54mth.jpg

This is curds and whey.

MhVXgh.jpg

This is curds.

K3qBUh.jpg

p4rnzh.jpg

HEY PRESTO CHEESE MUTHAFUCKA (with added pepper and oregano).

a5vigh.jpg

"Home-made" garlic bread (i.e. store-bought baguette), couscous and feta stuffed peppers (with veg). Stuffed peppers are pretty easy and versatile (and filling). This particular pepper wasn't the prettiest, admittedly.

vvPO5h.jpg

Different meal - that's a home-made minestrone soup in the pepper.

BdDi4h.jpg

Ham and asparagus and camambert wraps, pizza scrolls, cheese twists, olive mix, sausage rolls. All upstaged by kick-ass cake that I didn't make!

TTowNh.jpg

Fruit 'froghurt' [frozen yoghurt]

kTFKVh.jpg

No ginsters over here, so home-made 'slices' --

niAwch.jpg

Cheese, ham and onion. Made loads since then with other flavours; steak and kidney, chicken and bacon, avocado and basil and tomato.

q0Ezch.jpg

Pork Wellington (@Supergrunch for the inspiration) with mushroom and liver pate, stage 12

vs8eeh.jpg

HjTrJh.jpg

Super rosemary-roast potatoes (secret recipe)

i6y9Hh.jpg

Beauty.

m8pB7h.jpg?1

Onion head. It's like a family pet, now.

NofZ7h.jpg?1

homemade burger (the tiniest one!)

VKaKEh.jpg

Beer flapjack

SUHMnh.jpg

Caramel slice

... Those were pretty much all I could find.

I tend to cook teh same dishes each week; carbonara, fajitas, carbonara, bolognaise, stir fry. I'll try to experiment another night, and for a while we had an older gent coming for dinner so I had to cater for his tastes too.

I also do chilli, curry, tuna bake, shepherd's pie, cottage pie, fish pie, toad-in-the-hole, roast dinners, great mash, macaroni cheese, chimichangas, enchiladas, salsas, guacamole, soup, stew, goulash, 'spanish' chicken, 'meditteranean' chicken, fried rice.

Of course, this is all I can remember for now!

I'm no longer looking up a single recipe and thinking "I can do better than that!" ... by adding twelve extra ingredients. Instead I tend to look at 4-5 recipes, then narrow down the common ingredients and identify teh fancy stuff. I'm now confidently at the stage where I can make something from whatever I find in teh fridge/freezer/cupboard. I go through phases of being interested in a particular herb, spice or ingredient that I add to new things or look up new recipes for; paprika, thyme, lime, ginger, cashew nuts, and recently marjoram and fennel (though marjoram curently seems like a cross between rosemary and oregano).

I basically alternate between beef and chicken, and try not to have a tomato-based meal two days in a row. I admittedly am largely sauce-based food, or even pasty since I discovered the joys of frozen puff-pastry! I cook most meals with mushrooms/onions/peppers for the veg portions, and a handful of spinach to serve.

I'm looking forward to getting my own kitchen so I can acquire a decent set of knives, chopping boards and pots and pans (the stuff here is a mixture of fantastic and awful).

I've seriouslsly had people asking me to move in with them pretty much just because I can cook.

I must find more of my pictures (of teh prettier and 'rarer' dishes) - I have made a dish I name "Billy Stew" that is a pasta/corned beef baked dish that I imagine would be the staple diet in an opera version of Of Mice and Men.

I think I need to learn some more 'authentic' recipes from around the world. Australia is fairly seasonal in terms of produce, and I'm not near any decent stores. I want to go to the chinese-heavy areas nearby just to pick up some of that long/thin eggplant so I can try Grunch's recipe.

TO EVERYONE: Any food you love to make that I've not mentioned?

Just a little cake (what else?!) update from Aneres11!

Vanilla sponge and white chocolate frosting / butter icing.

IMG_4053.jpg

IMG_4052.jpg

Chocolate sponge with a green and blacks chocolate frosting and choc sprinkles.

IMG_4066.jpg

IMG_4069.jpg

Aaand lastly for now, butterfly cakes / muffins! With vanilla butter cream!

IMG_4155.jpg

IMG_4156.jpg

Yum :grin:

So do you just sit around and eat pastries all day or what? :p

Ha you'd be forgiven for thinking I did...!

Alas, no.

I just like to bake. I have a big sweet tooth and I find that if buy a lemon or chocolate cake, I always (modestly) think that my own taste better. And generally they do. But that's home made for you. The way forward!

And Rez - yes it's very moist. I'm often praised for my moist sponge by family, friends and colleagues alike... Ha.

311250_10152271858125581_1722992195_n.jpg

YES.

Tesco didn't have any pepperoni. Waitrose do a good one. Next time it will be perfected to a point of excellence.

64596_10151191257155745_1304508921_n.jpg

Brownies! Really simple recipe, the key to chewiness is melted butter (I used margarine because I'm a health freak like that). Would make an awesome dessert with ice-cream, but everyone just snarfed it out of the dish.

61368_10151191257570745_875341317_n.jpg

Terrible photo, but soba with tsuyu and broccoli, and vegetarian gyoza.

"Sage Potatoes au Gratin"

SV200641_zps5e2ba7e1.jpg

Saw it on a show on the Food Network a while ago, thought I'd give it a try. Planning to make it my potatoe dish for the Christmas dinner, thought I'd do a trail run on it this evening with a smaller amount (be making double the amount for Xmas....be a lot of family spending Xmas with us) just to make sure I know what I'm doing (it the only part of the Xmas dinner I'm cooking...everything else, Turkey, Stuffing, gravy etc will be my mother and Joy cooking.... I'm not gonna risk messing up the Turkey :heh:)

Was delicious, can't wait to have it with some Turkey, Stuffing and Cranberry sauce on the 25th :D

Looks delicious, whats the skinny?

You can find the recipe on the Food Network's website.

yep that be the one... though I used parmasian (sp?) cheese instead of manchego, couldn't find it... on the show the cook said it was like parmasian so I just went with that

Parmesan* :) Parma is a place in Italy and ~esan means "of~" so cheese 'of parma'. Shares root meaning with "~ese", "~aise" so bolognese is "of bologna."

I'm fairly sure there's got to be some root similarities with how we say "asian" or "european" too. Of course, Germany goes with er (hamburger, berliner... Ok so I don't know many more off the top of my head!) I'm sure this is all known I just felt a tangent coming on. Plus this is at least the 4th time today I've corrected someone so I'm obviously on a Gramma Nazi Spree.

The main Christmas cooking paraphernalia haul includes: What are considered to be two classic Chinese cookbooks, China Moon and Yan Kit classic Chinese and Ching's book which I only picked up because it was 2.99 in Smith's, might get some idea from it though. And she's fit as hell. And my new Japanese style Santoku knifes (made in Sheffield!) Both with a 30 year guarantee, and a sharpening steel with a 25 year guarantee. They are as sharp as razors.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3728&d=1357223254

attachment.php?attachmentid=3729&stc=1&d=1357223273

Edited by madeinbeats

Reading through some of these pages at work has made me incredibly hungry.....!

Same here but i cant cook. Thank god the girlfriend is bringing pizza on the way to mine later :-)

"Sage Potatoes au Gratin"

SV200641_zps5e2ba7e1.jpg

TASTY, TASTY, TASTY! Did it go down well on Christmas day? I'd like to make something like that, but seems a lot of effort for it being a side dish.

On New Years Eve, I made this:

68596_10152355306965144_416794801_n.jpg

It's the tastiest thing I've made in a long time, and I seriously recommend it! The recipe (sorry for the DM link) is available here. It says you need a food processor, but a hand blender worked just fine :).

EDIT: It's called Thai Chicken Laksa

TASTY, TASTY, TASTY! Did it go down well on Christmas day? I'd like to make something like that, but seems a lot of effort for it being a side dish.

Potatoes are never a side dish :D

haha

Anyway, yeah they went down great on Xmas day.

A few people went back for seconds...those who didn't was cause they were all gone when they went back :D

They went great with the turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce. I was as full as I ever been after it haha.

Playing it cheap, so it's all about pasta salads at the moment. Beefed up with a big bag of spinach, chopped shrooms and onions and peppers and chillis and basil and oregano and garlic and tomato paste and pepper and BAMMO. Stir it up a treat and mix in a cheese or two and it's healthy, cheap, huge pile of food to feed for a few meals. I chucked in some deli salami (90p for 100g! Who on earth buys the pre-packed stuff?) and it's really seriously good. Have it cold with some diced toast (srsly) for that crouton effect and you're golden.

Got a lot of pasta and soup in the days ahead!

My first attempt at brownies:

hxr45ppd.jpg

They don't look perfect and I should've left the second batch a bit longer in the oven, but they are tasty :)

Looks good dr4hkon.

I made something absolutely delicious today but didn't photo it on account of not wanting it to go cold (and wanting to eat it).

I cooked medium-rare fillet steak topped with a stilton butter sauce and bubble and squeak fritters containing sauteed pancetta.

Fuck me. This was the food of gods. Each bite was truly delicious.

Mental that this is actually cheaper than some things like Domino's pizza.

I've seen a lot of Man V Foods, but I think this is the worst crime against food I've seen since pineapple on pizza.

I've been quiet for a while on the old cooking, well - baking!

Today I turned this little lot:

IMG_4596_zpseb341260.jpg

Into a very rich chocolate fudge cake with chocolate ganache topping!

IMG_4597_zpsffd1f367.jpg

IMG_4598_zpsea345d87.jpg

IMG_4600_zps7b8c3817.jpg

It's really moist and sticky and probably the best chocolate cake recipe I've used.

Most choc cakes are dry (too much dry to wet ingredients with the flour and cocoa), but as this cake is made up of actual chocolate (see above!) and very little flour / cocoa it's very moist!

Right, if you'll excuse me I'm going to cut myself a massive slice and make a cup of tea! :grin: