NEurope
Dyson

Subtitled Films

As a bonus, you get to learn Japanese, if you ever find yourself in Japan and need to exclaim "don't rape me with those tentacles"

and lets face it, if your a girl, in japan, your gonna need that sentence.

As a bonus, you get to learn Japanese, if you ever find yourself in Japan and need to exclaim "don't rape me with those tentacles"

Iyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa will probably suffice.

I should point out that for the vast majority of anime, the voice is recorded before the animation, and the animation is made to fit it. In fact, the only show I can think of that definitely didn't do this is Red Garden. While this means that the lip-sync isn't going to be perfect (as with a dub, though a little better), the animation is to some extent moulded by the work of the voice actors themselves. Coupled with the fact that voice acting in Japan is a massive business, and thus likely to be better in quality than something produced elsewhere, the argument for subs seems pretty strong.

That explains it, then. Awesome. I think I remember reading about that, actually. Makes a whole lot of sense anyway.

Go out and get it. I'm not buying you this as well.

Bit of both, though when I can I try to get the original dub with subs, just feel like I get a better feel of the movie that way. Sometimes I'll rewatch stuff in english dub(anime like) but I do prefer original languageness.

Can't beat english dubbed martial arts films though, that's a little bit genius.

Go out and get it. I'm not buying you this as well.

I've seen it already :D

I'm not a native english speaker and I have no problem in reading the english subtitles on time at all. I usually have time to watch the whole picture.

But 90% of the movies and series that air here are in english obviously, so everything is subbed to portuguese, so maybe we here just get a lot more "training" during our lives in reading subtitles fast.

So yeah, I'm against dubs. Specially japanese to american ones because the japanese voice acting industry and quality control is huge compared to american voice acting as Supergrunch said. Save for some exceptions in some big budget productions and those hilarious martial arts movies, as said.