NEurope
Dan_Dare

Live Music

Please say that again after you've heard "the" note in Perfect by Alanis Morissette live. I literally started crying.

... This is meant to make me go to a live act?

I really couldn't picture Eevil in the crowd at any type of live gig, and definitely not at one where there would be strobe lighting. :hmm:

I'm not a photosensitive epileptic. But because of that I'm going to get the police round yo' ass after being mean to me and the disablilty discrimination act.

I'm willing to say that you owe the guy a tenner now. His comment was nothing to do with any specific song or artist; it was just a comment on the act of crying, and how it isn't generally what people want to do at a gig, let alone something that can convince someone like EEVILMURRAY to at all admit that live music is something that only a complete retard would blanket-assume of being rubbish.

Is this a good comment towards me? I'm too tired and I keep rereading it and I'm never sure.

I'm not objected to live music, I have some live tracks on the PC with me. I could slam on some Bryan Adams unplugged or some Green Day live like that! *snaps fingers*, I just don't see the point in paying much monies to listen to the same songs you know, sung differently from that what you're 'used' to, the added fact that they're not that far away from you. It just doesn't do it for me. It's the same with going to see a football team play, people can knock one out over the atmosphere, but I don't see the point.

The saying "Don't knock it until you've tried it" has never been more apt.

I loved seeing The Kills live. They know how to put on a show. And I loved how they mashed some songs together to fit more in the time slot. A joyeux mix of Pull A U and MEXICOCU.

But I have tried it! and now I'm knocking it!

But I know I'm going to get the "Oh you didn't see [band/Artist X] because they're so much better".

Another thing is, when I listen to a song I don't jump around, wave my hands in the air and sing loudly [i know, I'm crazy like that], so why I should pay to do so in a room with many others I'm just not feeling.

I'm not saying I'd never see a live act again however. Someone can pay for me.

Another thing is, when I listen to a song I don't jump around, wave my hands in the air and sing loudly [i know, I'm crazy like that], so why I should pay to do so in a room with many others I'm just not feeling.

Most people don't jump about when they listen to music at home, because recorded music doesn't carry the same vibe as live music does. (Of course, if you're drunk enough you do dance about).

I was 2 metres away from the girl in Blood Red Shoes when I went to see them at King Tut's. That was exciting - I could see all the chords she was playing.

I wish I was closer to the guy though, since he's somewhat hot.

EEVIL: I'm saying that live music is an experience different to anything you can experience at home. It's not just having it performed on-the-go, it's also the idea that you are experiencing this one-off performance of a, hopefully, much-loved song along with an entire crowd that feel the same way as you.

No matter what you say about your own experience about live music, anyone who has ever been through a great gig will just laugh at your opinion on the matter, because if you cannot see that live music is an amazing thing then it is your loss, and no amount of ignorance or bullshitting will make anyone think that you're right in any way with your opinion.

I say this as a friend; live music is awesome. Seeing your favorite band is awesome, and totally better than just listening to it through headphones by yourself. You feel like these guys are playing it for you. The problem is that you state your opinion as if you will never change your mind, and to be honest it is sad that you think this way, because it means you are missing out on the potential of the future. You state your opinion as if anyone else's enjoyment of live music is somehow misguided or wrong, when anyone who has enjoyed a live gig actually reads your opinion as a laughable statement.

Surely there must be some band you would love to see live?

EDIT: PS. Drunk and suddenly aware that this may come across more offensive than it seems. I don't mean it that way >_<

EEViL the point about it basically being the same as listening to the CD still has no weight, you know. I already rebuked that. Or whatever the term is.

Money and dislike of atmosphere, or as I say, seeing bands that would just do a worse version of songs you know, are all good reasons to not see someone live., though. But again, put away your umbrella.

EEVIL: I'm saying that live music is an experience different to anything you can experience at home. It's not just having it performed on-the-go, it's also the idea that you are experiencing this one-off performance of a, hopefully, much-loved song along with an entire crowd that feel the same way as you.

No matter what you say about your own experience about live music, anyone who has ever been through a great gig will just laugh at your opinion on the matter, because if you cannot see that live music is an amazing thing then it is your loss, and no amount of ignorance or bullshitting will make anyone think that you're right in any way with your opinion.

I say this as a friend; live music is awesome. Seeing your favorite band is awesome, and totally better than just listening to it through headphones by yourself. You feel like these guys are playing it for you. The problem is that you state your opinion as if you will never change your mind, and to be honest it is sad that you think this way, because it means you are missing out on the potential of the future. You state your opinion as if anyone else's enjoyment of live music is somehow misguided or wrong, when anyone who has enjoyed a live gig actually reads your opinion as a laughable statement.

Surely there must be some band you would love to see live?

EDIT: PS. Drunk and suddenly aware that this may come across more offensive than it seems. I don't mean it that way >_<

I'm not saying I'd never see a live act again however. Someone can pay for me.

I did consider going to see Elton John and Billy Joel, but in the end didn't.

Maybe I do see some people as misguided in this regard, since I don't see much of a point.

So you saying I should try blowing up a shit load of people before I knock terrorism?.. :laughing:

So you saying I should try blowing up a shit load of people before I knock terrorism?.. :laughing:

Send anthrax in the mail. Start small.

FAIL

Probably a good thing you didn't go to either of those 'gigs'... the amount of MILFs on show would've a) given you a heart attack b) smothered you, or c) made you question your sexuality.

Seriously, though; how can you dismiss live music as a whole just because you don't seem to care too much about any contemporary artists?

FAIL

Probably a good thing you didn't go to either of those 'gigs'... the amount of MILFs on show would've a) given you a heart attack b) smothered you, or c) made you question your sexuality.

I went to see Bon Jovi last summer and it was like some middle aged hen night. Worst crowd I'd ever seen, it was awful. I'd never seen as many pink cowboy hats.

Though I did take my mum for her birthday present so I can't really argue.

Seriously, though; how can you dismiss live music as a whole just because you don't seem to care too much about any contemporary artists?

I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

I went to that.

possibly one of the best days ever:smile:

and i dunno about the crowd. When everyone sang along to Paranoid Android towards the end I was euphoric with the giddy pleasure of it all.

Crowd in Glasgow was the best crowd I'd ever been in. Pissing rain, freezing cold Glasgow evening. Seemed like all 10000 people (estimate) who were there started singing Karma Police after they went off before the first encore. I remember the guy who stood in front of me at the start saying after the first song: "Try and hold the line steady, don't let anyone past." Then they played Jigsaw Falling Into Place, the crowd came alive and I never saw him again.

aha that's brilliant. A hero's demise!

did they play The Gloaming at that gig? it was never a song I liked on HTTT but seeing it live gave the whole thing a new energy- transforming it in to a brooding, hyper surreal performance number. I can only imagine it was only ever really intended for the stage.

Yep. Before the gig I had never really given HTTT much of a chance, and the only song I really knew from it was There There. But after them playing Myxomatosis, The Gloaming, 2+2=5, and There There, it has now become my favourite album.

aw man, There There is, quite possibly, my favourite Radiohead song. It's blodoy amazing! mm...those big drums...

Strangely, the oldest audience I've ever been a part of was at The Kills concert.

Me and Paj were the youngest there by about 4 years, and the majority of the crowd were 30+.

Strange, considering I've always thought of them as a "young" band.

The only concert I´ve been in was when Amon Amarth played here, it was fucking awesome. After the concert I was in the mood to go pillaging.

Which makes me ever more pissed that Wacken this year is sold out, especially with such a great line up this year :/

But I´ve missed a lot of concerts and I really regret it, like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Foo Fighters, QOTS.

But the one I regret most was missing Morrisey and the free concert Sigur Rós had 2 years ago.

Could only be "Fightstar" or "Son of Dork" lol.

Ah yeah, it was fightstar in 2006/07 absolute crap lol

Franz Ferdinand tonight, should be good :P

Strangely, the oldest audience I've ever been a part of was at The Kills concert.

Me and Paj were the youngest there by about 4 years, and the majority of the crowd were 30+.

Strange, considering I've always thought of them as a "young" band.

At the end, I turned around and started talking to a literally out-of-place woman, who seemed like she dressed to go and teach a biology class or something. She was probs 40+, asking about Dinosaur Pile-Up.

My Chemical Romance had a large mix too. The stupid 12 year old buy and birls dressed in black tu-tu's, and then random old people dotted around the place. I found out years later that one of my mum's best friends was there too!

Oldest audience I was with were for Porcupine Tree, load of middle aged prog-rockers. Strange.

And I would also consider The Kills a young band but hey ho, if they like it great :)

Oldest audience I was with were for Porcupine Tree, load of middle aged prog-rockers. Strange.

haha my girlfriends mum goes to see them like every year. Crowd is always full of middle aged rockers :)

I went to that.

possibly one of the best days ever:smile:

and i dunno about the crowd. When everyone sang along to Paranoid Android towards the end I was euphoric with the giddy pleasure of it all.

I went to that! :D I thought the crowd was quite good, loved the chanting of Karma Police after they had left stage. I just hated the fact it was still light when they started playing, thus making the light show a bit crap at the start. I thought it started great and only got better as time went on. My favourite songs were probably The Gloaming, Just, 2+2=5, Idioteque, Everything In It's Right Place and Lucky :)

I haven't been to an awful lot of gigs, which is a shame because I love music. I just find it hard to afford to go to gigs, and to get the tickets themselves. All the stuff I want to go to seems to sell out really fucking quickly.

For my favourite gig experience, it's a toss-up between two bands: The Flaming Lips, and seeing the Manic Street Preachers in Cardiff.

In terms of atmosphere and performance, the Manics gig was out of this world. It was pretty much everything like I expected it to be, and about a billion times more.

The Flaming Lips gig just kicked arse. The performance by the band was fantastic, and the interaction with the crowd is by far the best I've been to. For the opening act, the singer was put inside a hugely inflated bouncy ball, and tossed into the crowd. This was done to the song "Race for the Prize" which was accompanied by lots of bright, gold lighting, and dancing characters (such as Father Christmas/Santa Claus and green aliens) on the stage. Fucking incredible.

I've seen Muse once, and it was slightly disappointing to what I was expecting. Basically, they played the entire album listing of Black Holes and Revelations in order and then did the old stuff afterwards. As such, the element of surprise was lost. To top it off, there wasn't all that much interaction with the crowd, which I was a bit gutted at.

But, to take the piss, they also performed at the same arena the day after, with a better setlist, and apparantly that was the better gig. Fucking typical, isn't it?

Playing the album in order just really got to me. The best part of going to a gig, for me, is not knowing what is coming next. Hearing a song you weren't expecting to hear come on, or hearing the opening riff of Plug-In Baby is exactly what makes a gig great. So, they lost brownie points from me for that. :(

Playing the album in order just really got to me. The best part of going to a gig, for me, is not knowing what is coming next. Hearing a song you weren't expecting to hear come on, or hearing the opening riff of Plug-In Baby is exactly what makes a gig great. So, they lost brownie points from me for that. :(

I HATE playing album orders. Only MCR did that of gigs I've been to, and in their defence, it's part of the "concept of their album", as the two section were markedly different (new vs. old).

That's another reason why I love Tori Amos. She has an immense back catalogue to turn to, and she NEVER does the same setlist twice, unless it's an offical like filming for a DVD or whatever. It's always mixed up and from random eras etc. She'll play her famous songs like Cornflake Girl after a forgotten B-side from the Mission Impossible 2 soundtrack etc. Next night, neither will appear. :D