NEurope

Well, finally picked this up. Wow.

Seems like a great first attempt by EA from the few hours I've played. Single player seems lacking but Multiplayer is very, very good though. Online is a welcome feature for any tennis game on the Wii and it plays great. (EA Nation is always solid and has no Fcodes.)

Having a doubles game is great fun and I like how you can use the D-Pad to determine where you and your partner can play in doubles, both of you attacking at the net for instance is very rewarding IF it comes off :D And yes, I do think this is pretty difficult. Which is a GREAT thing. Sports games should always be difficult until you master the controls. True to life.

I also love the speaker sounds. And the use of speech through the speaker 'You cannot be serious' = lols. Nice touch there from EA and it does indicate care and attention went into the title.

Still, M+ control takes a lot of getting used to and although I can somewhat aim with it, it is very difficult and will take more time to master for sure. Trouble is, I'm having so much fun without M+ that I wonder if I will have the time to really master M+ controls!

It's almost as if this title didn't really need M+, but maybe that's because I'm a Wii Sports Tennis junkie.

Time will tell if the controls make such a huge difference to my personal play. The option is great though. I can see the benefits when a M+ shot does work though - it feels more rewarding and true to life. :)

Anyways, great game, a little lacking in 'oomph' at times (compare this to Woods 10 for a comparison) yet I totally see where this is going and as a first entry into a new franchise the options that are there are plentiful. Year upon year we should see the title improve though and offer more options, control tweaks, players and venues.

In my option though, this is already one of the best tennis games I've ever had the pleasure of playing. Even from initial play I feel it is grasping me like Smash Tennis, Mario (64) Tennis and that is saying a lot for a first attempt. This is kind of what Wii Sports Tennis hinted at but with that EA polish, official licence, attention to detail and the option of a more "hardcore/deep" control scheme.

Great stuff!

Edited by tapedeck

Yeah tapedeck. Sort it out. Whack the nunchuck in and motion+ and play it properly :)

Yeah tapedeck. Sort it out. Whack the nunchuck in and motion+ and play it properly :)

Here, here!

We're organising a tourny tonight in the online board if anyones up for it.

We need either 4 or 8 players preferable (some may get byes)

Yeah, you need to play with the nunchuck, its all about positioning.

I'm World number 76 at the moment, woo! :bouncy:

Edited by lostmario

Keep thinking about whether or not to give this a look.

Seems to be mixed opinions here, although most of it seems to be due to the learning curve of Motion +. The other concern would be the reliability of EAs servers, whilst the general online experience is certainly better incorporated than anything Nintendo have done (barring Mario Kart), previous experience also tells me that EA's servers are seriously dodgy at best.

Will keep an eye on further feedback from you guys as I have a big enough shopping list of games wanted and a small/empty wallet as it is already.

I have now swapped the game again and I am on my third copy and still it keeps locking up and freezing on me :( surely my luck isn't this bad!! Every time I am starting to get into it and loving how much better the Motion Plus is it just dies on me.....I envy you all!!!

Well I played this today at a mates and all I can say is WOW!

I am buying this as soon as I get paid!

good lord stick that nunchuck in.. I hated wii tennis for not letting you move on your own :)

oh forgot to mention that I DO use the nunchuck :-p

the control schemes all work very well and it's great to have a 4 player game with the folks as they have been accustomed to wii sports tennis. this just keeps getting better! :-)

good game yesterday redshell, it went to tie breaker, could have gone either way.

i selected friend invite and it still counts wins and loss, ? is there a way to do unranked ?

i will be joining you in the top 100 again soon :) lets geta mini k/o going ?

Ok.... MotionPlus is now working. ::shrug: Strange. As a result, managed to actually win a match against the computer, 4-3 (9-7). There are still problems with the motionplus though and I think it really comes down to EA's implementation of the device into the game. I think there's a considerable amount of room for improvement because there are problems when going to swing.

But with that win under my belt, I'm hoping I can get further through the French Open than I did in the Australian, going out in the first round to Mcenroe.

I have now swapped the game again and I am on my third copy and still it keeps locking up and freezing on me :( surely my luck isn't this bad!! Every time I am starting to get into it and loving how much better the Motion Plus is it just dies on me.....I envy you all!!!

I would usually say its you and your just not doing it right, but as you mention about your luck can't be that bad it reminds me of my mate that had a problem with his Guitar Hero World Tour guitar so filled in the Warranty claim and now he has 3 guitars that do not work properly.

So maybe thats just it, your very unlucky.

Edited by -gonzo-

I got the game yesterday and initially although generally impressed with it, found it very fustrating with the motion plus controls. I was having trouble aiming the ball where i wanted it, and at times the wiimote became out of sync because I'd be swinging too hard and fast.

However after playing a full 5 set match of which are was down 0-6, 0-6 in the first 2 sets, I pulled back to win in 5 sets which was incredible:

0-6, 0-6, 6-3, 6-3, 6-2.

It does have a high learning curve at first but once you get it, it's definitely rewarding.

I need to leard not to swing so hard as it's not necessary but I can't help it. My arm was killing me afterwards.

Great game.

Ok.... MotionPlus is now working. ::shrug: Strange. As a result, managed to actually win a match against the computer, 4-3 (9-7). There are still problems with the motionplus though and I think it really comes down to EA's implementation of the device into the game. I think there's a considerable amount of room for improvement because there are problems when going to swing.

But with that win under my belt, I'm hoping I can get further through the French Open than I did in the Australian, going out in the first round to Mcenroe.

The more you play the more control you have. It's easy to resort to Wii Sports tennis 'flicking' which doesn't work, when you swing properly the game is pretty much spot on; and if you actually step into the swing then it's pretty much perfect.

Don't dismiss it straight away, as the game playing in you will take over the tennis playing in you, and this game is more precise the more realistically you play

The more you play the more control you have. It's easy to resort to Wii Sports tennis 'flicking' which doesn't work, when you swing properly the game is pretty much spot on; and if you actually step into the swing then it's pretty much perfect.

Don't dismiss it straight away, as the game playing in you will take over the tennis playing in you, and this game is more precise the more realistically you play

Incredibly true. Don't give up on this one as I guarantee you that it does indeed get MUCH better. Anyway, don't we want games with harder learning curves again anyway?

All the new guys who got the game in here - get into the online forums and on people's friends lists! The more the better and this is fantastic online.

:yay: yay me! I won my first match on the Grand Slam tour at Roland Garros. Beat Sampras 6-4. Was very close at points but luckily I got a break on him and then beat him on his serve. :D Was so happy with that. Couldn't stop cheesing. So at least I'm progressing and the controls are working now, although there are still some niggles and I'm sure these are things everyone else has come across like doing your backswing to wind up a shot and it detects it as a swing but on the other side.

That aside, it's sort of enjoyable now. Not doing well online. Only playing unranked at the moment because for some reason when I play online the controls go to pot a little and it takes awhile to get back into my stride. Played 3 unranked matches and have been beaten 0-3 in all of them, but then unlike all of my opponents, I'm using the character I created and not a pro. My tag is Ganepark32 if anyone is curious and wants and easy opponent.

Played somemore today and this game is enjoyable, but tried the grand slam again and was not doing well, so I decided to quit and start again, this time on easy. What a difference this makes. I recommend people to start on easy because of the learning curve. Looks like it's more forgiving in easy though as pratically the same shots I do but they stay in on Easy but go wide on Medium.

As enjoyable as this game is, there are definitely some niggles with the control. Sometimes it goes a bit haywire, and does not do your swing at all making you lose the points. This is quite rare though and I think the calibration does sort itself out.

Can't wait to try the online.

I got this yesterday, and after getting used to it I now love it!

EA really put in a lot of effort into the presentation, if anyone's been to any of the Grand Slams you'd notice they've even put in the grounds perfectly! Also the amount of detail put into the players; the graphics may not be the best but they got the looks spot on. Especially Nadal, right down to the grunt and short picking! I've only played one online match so far, but apart from a couple of points it was pretty much lag free!

:)

I would usually say its you and your just not doing it right, but as you mention about your luck can't be that bad it reminds me of my mate that had a problem with his Guitar Hero World Tour guitar so filled in the Warranty claim and now he has 3 guitars that do not work properly.

So maybe thats just it, your very unlucky.

Thanks Gonzo, it is always good to hear that there is other unlucky people out there.

Would you recommend taking the game back and trying again or should I consider getting in touch with Nintendo in case there is a fault with my Wii?

@ darksnowman - looks like I'm not as bad at this as I thought. Held my own against Lostmario only losing 7-6 (7-5) on a tiebreaker. So you're hopes of an easy opponent are now slightly dashed :D

Here's a question you WM+ owners could answer..

Can you leave WM+ plugged in, as well as a nunchuck for non WM+ games like Zelda or Mario Galaxy?