NEurope

Is that it really? Doesn't sound too promising...

Though i think Tiger Woods will achieve awesome!

Is that it really? Doesn't sound too promising...

Though i think Tiger Woods will achieve awesome!

At the moment, yeah! It's very temperamental, but when it works, it works...i didn't really get that 'wow' feeling i got when first using the wiimote, and as much as i think the game is great, it should have been part of a bigger launch line-up to promote the device..Still saying that...least it hasn't hit it's peak on the first game..we have loads to look forward too hopefully.

and like i keep saying 'Practice makes perfect'. My mum played it first time and she was pretty good! haha

I don't like the idea of it ever not working though... I play quite a bit of tennis, and was really hoping for this to be the most life like yet!!

Hopefully with more play it becomes better, but doesn't bode well for making it accessible for the 'casual'

Well I'm definitely getting this tomorrow now. Hope to play online with some of you over the weekend.

Just taking a break for a min from it at the mo as I've been playing for the guts of the past two hours. I think I'd agree with Owen- I've not had that wow feeling and I've not got comfortable with playing the game yet. I'm sure it'll come together though!

I'm yet to win a set, never mind a match. :grin:

Just taking a break for a min from it at the mo as I've been playing for the guts of the past two hours. I think I'd agree with Owen- I've not had that wow feeling and I've not got comfortable with playing the game yet. I'm sure it'll come together though!

I'm yet to win a set, never mind a match. :grin:

2 hours and you havent won a set? Are you using the nunchuck as well?

Is that against the computer or other players?

I'm not using the nun-chuck personally. My player moves by itsself just fine on the baseline. Approaching the net can get risky, but I guess that's how the game's supposed to work. The only problems I sometimes have is that my federer has a tendency to walk around his backhand/forehand even it makes no sense to do so.

2 hours and you havent won a set? Are you using the nunchuck as well?

Yeah first thing I did was remove Motion+ from the jacket, second thing I did was hook it all up... including the nunchuk! :heh: I've been playing it on medium and find it a bit hard to judge at times. Tbh my matches have felt pretty close like but its just not clicked for me yet.

I've been playing this pretty much non-stop since I got in, so far it's gone something like this...

Initial reaction / first 30 minutes (Wii Remote only):

What the hell!? This is an absolute plie of poo, the controls are terible! :shakehead

After an hour (also plugged in the Nunchuck at this point):

Noticeable improvement having control of character movement, still missing loads of shots. Unable to win a match. Not impressed at all. :sad:

This is probably where Eurogamer stopped playing. :heh:

2 hours playtime:

Discovered that the face of the racquet is actually supposed to be the side of the Wii Remote instead of the bottom. Started to play some great shots and noticing the nuances of Motion Plus a bit more. No longer missing that many shots. Win my first game. :smile:

2½ hours:

Controls really beginning to click now, played some awesome rally's and made some seemingly impossible shots, having loads of fun in the process too.

Played through and won my first grand slam! :yay:

3 hours in:

Having a blast at this point, able to direct the ball loads better, getting the hang of the different shot types. Starting to notice other details outside of the game play, like Nadal's adjusting his shortsâ„¢ animation, can't believe they put that in there! :laughing:

So yeah, that's where I'm at with this right now. And while I've come a long way in terms of getting the controls, I still feel like there's a lot more to discover and perfect. The effects of Motion Plus are not overly obvious with this game (especially at first) and the feeling of 1:1 control isn't all that apparent by the representation of your on screen character. But the influence is most certainly there, after a while you start to realise how subtle changes in the positioning of your arm is having an impact on the movement of the ball once it leaves the racquet.

The serving in this is purely based on timing though, no M+ effect at all it seems, which is slightly disappointing. It remains the only area of play that I haven't really "got" yet too.

Anyway, despite the bad start I'm now a lot happier with this game. It doesn't appear to be a AAA title, but it's no way as bad as some reviews are suggesting. If online holds up well with no lag, then it's going to be great fun and a worthwhile investment.

We blatantly have to wait until Wii Sports Resort for the wow factor of Motion Plus though.

I'll be up for some online games tonight. My EA user name is RedShell.

See you guys on the court! :awesome:

Thanks RedShell, I think that will help alot of people decide whether or not to get it.

Im still undecided whether or not to get Grand Slam or wait for Virtua Tennis reviews or even just wait for Wii Sports Resort.

I went into ASDA earlier this evening and asked if they were stocking Grand Slam with Motion+ tomorrow. They went out the back and scanned one of the boxes which contains both and the price came up as £39.71. I was told they were not sure if it would change by tomorrow or not so off to ASDA in the morning to find out.

For those that have already got it, is it worth getting or should I hang on for Sports Resort or Virtua Tennis instead?

Gonzo, if you like tennis then go for it!

As for me, after reading RedShell's inspirational mention of Nadal, I set up an exhibition. Federer vs Nadal, best of five sets at the French Open... thats right, I notched my first win up against that little rat. 6-3 6-1 6-2. His tendonitis must be playing up. :wink:

Went online a min ago! Bit dissapointed for a couple of reasons!

1) The ball often goes out but isn't called

2) Theres a slight delay in the other player hitting the ball making it tough to work out where it's gonna go!

3) I had a awful glitch where the other player was winning points because the actual ball dissappeared entirely, I would hit it in and thought I won the point only to find out the other player did infact hit it back!

Saying all this, it could be where the other players were from and lag etc!

Anyway I added you Redshell! I'm OwenDarko :)

Gonzo, if you like tennis then go for it!

You see this is my dilema.

I am very tempted to get this just for the 1st motion+ experience, but Dreamcast is my first love so naturaly Virtua Tennis 2 is one of my most favourite games ever.

So now I just need to make my mind up to try a different tennis game other than Virtua Tennis.

Thanks RedShell, I think that will help alot of people decide whether or not to get it.
No probs. : peace:

As for me, after reading RedShell's inspirational mention of Nadal, I set up an exhibition. Federer vs Nadal, best of five sets at the French Open... thats right, I notched my first win up against that little rat. 6-3 6-1 6-2. His tendonitis must be playing up. :wink:
Just wait until I'm in control of the Number 1! Gonna be a different ball game sunshine. ;)

I hope. :hmm:

Went online a min ago! Bit dissapointed for a couple of reasons!

1) The ball often goes out but isn't called

2) Theres a slight delay in the other player hitting the ball making it tough to work out where it's gonna go!

3) I had a awful glitch where the other player was winning points because the actual ball dissappeared entirely, I would hit it in and thought I won the point only to find out the other player did infact hit it back!

Saying all this, it could be where the other players were from and lag etc!

Anyway I added you Redshell! I'm OwenDarko :)

Oh dear. That doesn't sound very promising. I'm yet to play any online matches (just connected quickly before to get my username) going to jump on in a minute though for a few games.

Fingers crossed it goes smoothly.

I think after everything I've read on here I might give it a miss. Seems like motion plus isn't making the impact everyone thought it would. In that case I'm going to get Tiger Woods and Wii Sport Resort and maybe pick this up later from the bargain bins.

Muchas thanks for the advice though. I'm so low on cash it's unreal but I always trust my estemeed n-e/f buddies :)

I'm gonna wait to hear for more online impressions before I make a decision, may just wait for wiisports resort.

Make no mistake, it's a marked improvement over Wii Sports Tennis, it's just probably not going to wow anyone (it's purely a tennis game, it was never going to). I still haven't given it a proper go yet, will do tomorrow afternoon though. :)

Ultimately, when you give it some time. Wherever I am on the court, can I hit the ball wherever I want an dhow I want to? How well is slice detected? Do you have to press A and B for lob and drop shots?

Ultimately, when you give it some time. Wherever I am on the court, can I hit the ball wherever I want an dhow I want to? How well is slice detected? Do you have to press A and B for lob and drop shots?

It may be hit and miss at first, but I think it would be possible when you get used to it. In regards to lob and drop shots, yeah. However, this really doesn't feel fiddly or intrusive since your fingers should be resting on A and B anyway.

I find it weird that they haven't programmed motionplus to detect lobs an drop shots... So what about slice and top spin?

And power?

Edited by dazzybee
Automerged Doublepost

so u using nunchuck combo, u think thats best?

ive been using it without and it works fine 90% of the time

but somtimes u line up for a backhand and the charcter on screen goes for a forehand?

ive had some lagless games online and 1 laggy one, so it depends on ur opponent like any online game, anyway ChrisOBGN is me tag ill post it in the online forum cheers

Edited by yesteryeargames

I got Grand Slam for £39.71 in ASDA this morning.:yay:

Cant wait to play it later, but off to work for me now:cry:.

Ok I think I've had a turning point! After playing for bout a hour more this morning I'm actually getting rather addicted to it! I think it's the noise the racket makes when you hit the ball and make a amazing shot! It's quite satisfying! So far? 7/10.