NEurope

I stand

Standing and using the nunchuck is the way to play, so sais the world number 15!

Yep, Standing and using nunchuck is definately the way to go.

I had a thought earlier about making the experiance even more authentic.

How about plugging in Wii Jog and having to actually move around to hit your shots.

I dont have Wii Jog, but would love to know if anyone has tried it.

Got this on Friday, first game i've bought myself since Mario Galaxy a year and a half ago! (I let my brother spend money on games and play what he buys!)

I have to say I'm loving it. Done the first year of grand slam, won every game, on easy, gonna step up to medium for the second year. Serve and Volley is my style.

I'm finding motionplus great. I use the nunchuck, but M+ definitely works best without it.

My online tag is CaptainPaulo, so feel free to add me and hopefully we can have some good matches :)

yeh standing and nunchuck is the way to play, i would be in the top ranks but its too time consuming, ive beaten top 10s several times,

Im wondering if my motion plus is working at all. I seem to have no control over where the shots end up, and when they do go in the direction i want them to, they go out.

Very dissapointed with this, trading it in unless something drastic happens next time i play it.

Im wondering if my motion plus is working at all. I seem to have no control over where the shots end up, and when they do go in the direction i want them to, they go out.

Very dissapointed with this, trading it in unless something drastic happens next time i play it.

Patient aren't you? Al I would say is are you flicking the wiimote waggle-style or are you taking proper swings? When you play this game properly it's borderline flawless

Gametrailers Review - 8.5

Firstly, I don't agree with them to that extent on the presentation. Sure it looks a little bland in places and with a 2D crowd... but comparing it to Virtua Tennis ws stupid, because I think that looks like a PS2 game, plus it's completely devoid of the style and character this game has.

Also, surely they marked the gameplay a little low, if this is the best tennis experience they have ever had with a game?!

But still, overall a good score.

At least they stuck around with it to appreciate the controls and learning curve!

^ I definitely agree comparing it to Virtua Tennis is wrong. VT is basically a PS2 title, slightly bumped up whereas this is hasn been designed specifically for the Wii. Yes, there are shortcomings in the graphical department but these will probably be ironed out in subsequent titles.

Anyway, I managed to win my first trophy on the Grand Slam mode yesterday. :yay: Won the Australian open in straight sets against Sampras although it was a little hairy in the first set because my motionplus stopped working. But because it was my service, I stuck the controller down to recalibrate and it started working again. Very strange. First it wasn't working at all but now it is. ::shrug:

Patient aren't you? Al I would say is are you flicking the wiimote waggle-style or are you taking proper swings? When you play this game properly it's borderline flawless

At the time of writing that post I'd dumped about 10 hours gameplay into it. 10 hours of losing points because when i go to make a cross court short 4/5 times my player will hit the ball too wide. I wouldnt have a problem if it was something i was doing wrong, but there just seems to be no control over how wide the ball is going to go, its just totally random =|

Forgive the frustration... :) I am standing up, and using the nunchuck to play. I am using real strokes, i play tennis for real every other weekend. Any ideas? Does anyone else experience the same trouble i do when they are going for a cross court shot? =|

Edit: Oh, and the other thing that is really grinding my gears about this game... The opponent hits the ball back straight to me for once, so its my time to attack. I start an early backswing because i have oodles of time, only for the game to decide that my backswing is actually me going for a backhand, and my player falls forwards after swinging 2 seconds to early, and cant recover.... SIGH!!!

Edited by Jim

At the time of writing that post I'd dumped about 10 hours gameplay into it. 10 hours of losing points because when i go to make a cross court short 4/5 times my player will hit the ball too wide. I wouldnt have a problem if it was something i was doing wrong, but there just seems to be no control over how wide the ball is going to go, its just totally random =|

Forgive the frustration... :) I am standing up, and using the nunchuck to play. I am using real strokes, i play tennis for real every other weekend. Any ideas? Does anyone else experience the same trouble i do when they are going for a cross court shot? =|

Edit: Oh, and the other thing that is really grinding my gears about this game... The opponent hits the ball back straight to me for once, so its my time to attack. I start an early backswing because i have oodles of time, only for the game to decide that my backswing is actually me going for a backhand, and my player falls forwards after swinging 2 seconds to early, and cant recover.... SIGH!!!

I pretty much agree with everything you've said. It's frustrating me so much I don't think it's worth the hassle.

Strange because the controls are near perfect for me. I feel like I have complete control over where the ball is going to go, assuming I can actually make the shot. Positioning is important and as for hitting it too wide etc what your follow through on the swing. If you follow through hard it's going to go wider, it will go straighter if you hit it flat on with little follow through.

At first the controls were a bit off. My on-screen avatar was holding it's racket in a backhand position, even though I was clearly in a forehand position.

I figured out what it was. I was standing 'on my side' (my left side was facing the TV, and I turned my head towards it). Ofcourse, you have to face the TV straight-on. Works like a charm now! Great control! Made them eat my shiny yellow tennis balls!

Don't ask me why I turned to the side. It seemed natural somehow.

Anyone find volleying a bit hit and miss?

Is there a different technique for it because quite often the ball seems to go the opposite way.

Anyone find volleying a bit hit and miss?

Is there a different technique for it because quite often the ball seems to go the opposite way.

Yes, there sort of is. It depends on the shot you're trying to play. If you've got a bit of time then take a real swing at it, either forehand or backhand to go for a tight angle either side - ideal to hit a winner. Remember though, positioning makes a difference, it's awkward to hit a backhand if you're the wrong side of the ball etc. If you haven't got much time then you might not be able to swing properly so you just sort of position your racket best you can and it is harder to direct the shot exactly where you want but then that's the same as real life.

Started my first World Grand Slam event the other day [after probably a few hours general practice with the game, making characters etc...] and in general was finding it too easy.

Sure the default for Grand Slams in easy, but I thought it would challenging still.

I had to switch to Normal difficulty halfway through the French Open as I was a little worried I'd complete the entire Grand Slam Tour on my first playthrough.

Upon doing so I went out to Roddick in the 3rd Round 3-1, but I'd much rather be playing challenging matches and have to wait a while until I'm good enough, than blitz through the game early on.

Great game though. I'm still a little unsure of the best way to play. I prefer it without the nunchuck if i'm honest because it feels alot more like tennis to me, and once you ungrade your character fully, the nunchuck wont really offer any advantages.

I just got this game but whenever I try to connect game online it comes up cannot connect to EA servers have the same problem with Tiger Woods 10 all my other games are working online, any one know what I am doing wrong?

Urgh, returned to this today after not having played it for 2 weeks or so, and where I absolutely LOVED it then, today I ABSOLUTELY hated it!! I've rarely been so frustrated at a game.

I know that two weeks ago I was really in the groove with the controls and being generally awesome, and that over those 2 weeks I would have lost the feel for it somewhat, but OMG it was aweful.

Apart from extreme cross court shots, none of the others were doing what I wanted/expected and I just became more and more annoyed!

As much as I know it's a fantastic game, I'm not sure I can live with it being so unaccessible. I don't want to have to play it every day. Games should be pick up and play.

Hmm... I'm not really sure what to do now... put time into it again, or trade it in?... If I put the time in now, I just know if I pick it up again a few months down the line after playing other games, I'm just gonna hve to go through it all again every time (probably)!

I'd not played it much for a bit there too Retro, but I'd GST on again on Sunday and felt really comfortable with it. I was timing my serve better and I was hitting some shots up the line better than I had been in the past- dazzybee knows I usually hit em cross court or just pop them up the middle! Its all about timing.

(I lost a match to Djokovic though as I was on the phone at the same time though. That was the only thing that tarnished my afternoon of GST!)

I've only had time to play very briefly now and again recently, still feels just as good as it ever did - even if I'm not playing quite so well for lack of practice.

Djokovic is a jerk anyway so I really wouldn't worry about it.

Haha, I know! I would have hammered him if I'd been concentrating properly. :blush:

GST will be a motion controlled game on PS360:

EA Sports is still planning on releasing 360 and PS3 versions of Grand Slam Tennis, division boss Peter Moore’s told VG247, but only when motion controllers have launched for both systems.

Moore delayed the games in August following the release of a MotionPlus-compatible Wii version. “You will do on the new motion technologies,†Moore said when asked if we’ll see the 360 and PS3 SKUs actually make it to market. “One thing that becamse glaringly obvious is that once you started playing Wii MotionPlus tennis and then you go back to [traditional controllers]. â€Moore added that MotionPlus had “ruined†tennis games on standard controllers for him, but reiterated that the success of EA Sports Active had been an equal part of the decision to slip. “It’s two things,†he said. “Active is such a powerful platform that we have to bring in resources to take advantage of that and get more stuff coming down the pipe.

“Secondly we’ve decided just to wait for Natal and for the Sony motion controller to come out. â€Natal is expected late next year, while Sony’s motion tech should release next spring. Moore was speaking at GamesCom in Cologne.

http://www.vg247.com/2009/09/15/moore-360-and-ps3-grand-slam-tennis-will-be-released-with-motion-tech/