NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
tapedeck

£200-£300 laptoppaton

I have £200-300 (max) to spend on getting my sis a laptop. She says it must have the ability to be as awesome as possible for office purposes and must not be a mac. No gaming will be done on it as it will be for uni work mostly. I've not really got the time to have a good luck about and wouldn't really know where to start. So...if Anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. I know you techies are awesome at stuff like this :-D

Seems cool but some customer ratings aren't too good saying it's quite slow with 1GB of RAM.

Anyone else?

Seems cool but some customer ratings aren't too good saying it's quite slow with 1GB of RAM.

Anyone else?

No, it's quite slow because the Intel Atom is the most overrated processor since the Pentium 4 Willamette (that is to say, Atom is shit).

All that aside though, the Dell Mini 9 is an absolute favourite among people to turn into a Apple Mac OS X machine: http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/how-to-mac-os-x-dellefi-installation-t3925.html

So based on that alone I'd choose it over any other netbook.

That said, you don't want a machine you can use OS X on, and to be honest, if you want a machine for general use (not portability) don't get an Atom based netbook. Some bottom of the range regular notebook will be just fine.

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?sort=pricelow&store=5&cat=10&limit=10&page=2

No, it's quite slow because the Intel Atom is the most overrated processor since the Pentium 4 Willamette (that is to say, Atom is shit).

He's right, the Atom is good for web browsing... Thats about it. Its incredibly low power though, which is an upside.

Hmmm..she told me she doesn't want "one of those tiny ones".

WOMEN!! Why must it all be about size!!

I love my netbook <3 Sure its not lightning fast, but nothing with a £300 price tag ever will be :heh:

I love my netbook <3 Sure its not lightning fast, but nothing with a £300 price tag ever will be :heh:

Wrong, you can build a decent dual core desktop for that much money, but yeah, for a new laptop, that's pretty cheap

Wrong, you can build a decent dual core desktop for that much money, but yeah, for a new laptop, that's pretty cheap

OK... Mr pedantic, a laptop with that price tag :heh:

Posted on HUKD

Acer Aspire 5717Z

Pentium Dual Core T2370,

2GB,

160GB HDD,

15.4" TFT

- £299.96 delivered @ CDiscount!

Linkage

I love my samsung nc10 netbook...it does everything I need...it browses the net, plays football manager live and runs itunes...I don't need anything else

I love my samsung nc10 netbook...it does everything I need...it browses the net, plays football manager live and runs itunes...I don't need anything else

*high five netbook buddy!* I have a Samsung NC10 too! <3 The screen takes getting used to, but tis not really a big issue!

Sign in to follow this