NEurope
Ren of Heavens

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Ill be getting this for Chrimbo..i'm really looking forward to it, loving the look of the exploration with the torch! Not so..the running away from horrible looking things! :grin:

Bad news though it's out for release in the US next week with no publicity so far and rumour is retailers are taking in very low stock allocations.

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=106706

You have all of these 3rd parties complaining that games likes these don't do the numbers that they should and then you hear stories like this. If this is true then the game has been sent out to die. Survival horror indeed.

You have all of these 3rd parties complaining that games likes these don't do the numbers that they should and then you hear stories like this. If this is true then the game has been sent out to die. Survival horror indeed.

I'm not sure whether you're pointing the blame at the publishers. Retail, ultimately, decides what games are successful by the amount of stock they buy - retailers have probably been hit by HOTD Overkill, The Conduit, Dead Space and have no wish to take a risk on yet another 'core' title.

But even then, retail is taking its prompts from the Wii demographic - if there is not the audience there, things just ain't gonna sell. I am starting to believe, sadly, that the audience is not there.

But even then, retail is taking its prompts from the Wii demographic - if there is not the audience there, things just ain't gonna sell. I am starting to believe, sadly, that the audience is not there.

I suppose your right.

Then at the risk of being unpopular this Moderator points the blame at you, the readers! :D

Kent_Brokman.png

Memories Trailer:

(33 secs) What's he doing at Rocky's house.

Does look good, but IMO the worst part is the probably the monsters.

Edited by Retro_Link

really pisses me off too. This could have been a title that appealed to casual horror fans too. I really don't understand why some games are given a chance.

Fatal frame iv never made it outside japan and the other versions made it to the original xbox.

9/10 from Eurogamer in a solid 4-page review:

"Packed with inventive ideas and one engaging sequence after another, it's a spirited, poignant and unsettling game that not only delivers a long-overduereturn to form, but reinvigorates horror adventures in the process."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/silent-hill-shattered-memories-review

Edited by Ren of Heavens

Whoa, great score. So far we've seen 80% from ONM, 86% from IGN and 90% from Eurogamer. Seems like a solid game!

GamePro gave it a 2.5/5, whilst GamesRader gave it 7/10. Pushing the game down to 77% on Metacritic.

The problem is some reviewers simply slate Wii games because they're Wii games. Look at some of the awful reviews COD:MWR got, and it;'s a fantastic game.

The problem is some reviewers simply slate Wii games because they're Wii games. Look at some of the awful reviews COD:MWR got, and it;'s a fantastic game.

Maybe, but again some people rate will rate it higher because it's a Wii game. A Review is just another guy's opinion.

I've already had 4 playthroughs to get the different endings and will be going for a fifth to see what else I can change. Currently this is my Wii GOTY.

My SH gameplay vids can be found here - http://www.youtube.com/user/ShotMyEyeOut10#g/u

Thanks for posting, every vid i see makes me more excited for this game. Think i'm gonna stop myself watching the videos now!

I see you have a few Indy:SoK vids on your profile too, how did you find that? I'm thinking of getting it (despite the bad "wagglefest" reviews).

One good thing that needs to be mentioned, the game is NOT flopping:bouncy:

Shattered memories is selling fairly good, even with the shortage rumors in america. That means that ists possible that once the shortage is over we see a major sales boost.

Silent hill Shattered memories (Wii)

/////////Japan////America/////EU/AUS/////Total

w1///////3,151/////44,756////////4,871///////52,778

w2///////n/a//////28,728////////5,938///////34,666

w3///////n/a//////25,520////////5,400///////30920

w4///////n/a//////9,044/////////4,980///////14024

w5///////n/a//////5,231/////////4,199///////9,430

w6///////n/a//////5,154/////////n/a///////5,154

w7///////n/a//////5,982/////////n/a///////5,982

w8///////n/a//////5,312/////////n/a///////5,312

w9///////n/a//////3,976/////////n/a///////3,976

w10/////n/a//////3,432//////////n/a//////3,432 (it sold 178 583 units so far)

Silent hill Origins (PsP)

////////Japan America EU/AUS Total

w1////20,956////18,577//////n/a//////////39,533

w2////6,540/////13,766//////n/a//////////20,306

w3////3,763/////12,442//////n/a//////////16,205

w4////2,556//////8,280////// n/a//////////10,836

w5////2,398//////8,781//////n/a//////////11,179 (it sold 250 000 units so far)

Silent hill homecoming (xbox360/Ps3)

////////Japan////America////EU/AUS//////Total

w1//////n/a//////47,517/////22,951///////70,468

w2//////n/a//////13,067/////15,496///////28,563

w3//////n/a//////7,619///////7,867///////15,486

w4//////n/a//////5,073///////5,445///////10,518

w5//////n/a//////3,698///////4,043///////7,741(sold 310 000 units on the 360)

Source: VGchartz (i know, but is a fairly reliable source)

If shattered memories continues to sell this well (much like re4 wii edition, i could forsee more serie entries on the wii.)

4-4-2010:

edited with 5th week of europe sales and first week sales of Japan.

Edited by marcel

If shattered memories continues to sell this well (much like re4 wii edition, i could forsee more serie entries on the wii.)

Hope that doesn't mean "real sequel on grown-up consoles and Wii gets an on-rails shooter"...!

Hope that doesn't mean "real sequel on grown-up consoles and Wii gets an on-rails shooter"...!

i dont think that would happen to the silent hill series **knocks on wood**, knowing that there was a on rails shooter resident evil for the ps2 so its not like we're getting the bastard childs resident evil.

Also silent hill focusses more on survival horror that guns and resident evil relies on guns. The makers of resident evil couldnt afford to take away your weapons, that would really suit the game. Its the opposite for sillent hill.

Thanks for posting, every vid i see makes me more excited for this game. Think i'm gonna stop myself watching the videos now!

I see you have a few Indy:SoK vids on your profile too, how did you find that? I'm thinking of getting it (despite the bad "wagglefest" reviews).

I liked it very much.

Great to see this selling! If we look at the first two weeks in North America, Shattered Memories is already selling better then Homecoming. Pretty neat!

Yeah but the problem is Wii games don't tend to have legs! I'll be surprised if the total worldwide sales make it over 200,000.

Yeah but the problem is Wii games don't tend to have legs! I'll be surprised if the total worldwide sales make it over 200,000.

Huh! Wii games are notorious of having legs! Quite a few games were deemed bombs and then over time they got some good sales.

Well most of the time games that are bombs have stayed bombs! Third parties still complain about hardcore being tough to sell on Wii, or at least that's the impression I get from looking down GoNintendo and seeing interview quotes.

I think third parties have struggled to mirror Nintendo's 'on-legs' strategy - Nintendo proved 'ever-green' titles like Mario Kart and Wii Fit can sell all year round. However, the likes of EA haven't inspired the market in the same way.

However, I beleive Shattered Memories has had a good start. The only comparable game I can think of is Resident Evil 4 (but even then thats a re-release) so lets work with that. In all, RE4 sold about 1 and a half million copies worldwide; according to VGcharts it sold less than 500,000 copies in its first 12 weeks - so thats 1 million outside the lunch window. Impressive. Incidently, compare that to RE5 on 360, that sold nearly all its 2.5million in that 12 week window, and little since.

These sales figures for Shattered Memories seem comparable to RE4 so things, in my opinion, do look rosey for Shattered Memories.