NEurope
Ren of Heavens

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

I think the whole frozen-little-girl thing would work better if it wasn't such a clear image and was more encompassed by darkness. I don't think it's a strong enough image on its own...but it is honestly better than the blurry mess the European placeholder was. It doesn't look like anything!

I'd kinda like a combination of US and EU art. I like the color and crispness of the US, but the rust blotches are similar to the old titles and movie, so like Retro Link said a possible nod.

Anyone have the confirmed release date for this game?

Shopto had it listed for release yesterday but when I got home from work and went to order it the release date said 05/03/2010* ???? That can't be right can it?

I was so excited too.

Anyone have the confirmed release date for this game?

Shopto had it listed for release yesterday but when I got home from work and went to order it the release date said 05/03/2010* ???? That can't be right can it?

I was so excited too.

Unfortunately it's slipped to February 2010 in Europe.

^ yeah. They were gonna have to wait until next year, so maybe Europe might get some news soon? Kinda makes sense as a winter release what with the setting!

There's something very David Lynchian about a few of those new shots/artwork. And that can only be a good thing.

Edited by Lens of Truth

US Press Release:

Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc. today revealed that the latest iteration of the critically acclaimed video game franchise - Silent Hill: Shattered Memories for Wii™ - will be available on December 8th, with the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system versions following shortly. Additionally, the company is releasing important details about the characters in the highly-anticipated survival horror game including profiles and images of the cast. A re-imagining of the first game in the famed franchise, Silent Hill's debut on Wii will deliver a brand new user interface, all-new storylines, and a myriad of terrifying new gameplay features. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories will also be released on the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system with more details, including the street date, being announced in the near future.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories begins just like the original as Harry Mason is searching for his daughter through the snowy streets of the haunted Silent Hill where he will encounter a cast of unique characters. However, this time, players are equipped with only a flashlight and cell phone to get story information, solve puzzles and navigate the darkness while escaping the demons that lurk among them. In addition, a psych-profiling feature has been added to analyze players and adjust itself to their actions, making this the most customizable and terrifying survival horror title to date.

Please find below the all-new character details:

Harry Mason - While driving through the spooky streets of Silent Hill, Harry's car skids on a patch of ice and veers off the road into a ditch. Upon waking from the crash, he realizes his daughter Cheryl is missing and sets out into the dark, freezing night to find her.

Cheryl Mason - Harry's daughter who has mysteriously disappeared, causing him to brave the streets of Silent Hill. She's a cheerful girl who loves her father very much.

Cybil Bennett - After years on the police force, Cybil has seen a lot of crazy things, but she's not quite sure what to make of Harry Mason. She decides early on to keep an eye on him, and their paths cross repeatedly.

Dr. K - A friendly, relatable therapist who shows up periodically to evaluate the player. His therapy sessions consist of interactive psychological test which players will actually take part in.

Michelle - Michelle meets Harry at her High School reunion, however he doesn't remember it. Tired of waiting to meet up with her boyfriend, she decides to aid Harry in finding his daughter.

Dahlia - A tough, street-wise young girl, Dahlia seems to know quite a bit about Harry. The fact that he can't remember anything about her confuses Dahlia as much as it does Harry.

Lisa - Lisa is a nurse at Alchemilla Hospital. Although she's young, lines of experience are already evident on her face. Despite her cynicism, Harry finds himself protective of Lisa and offers to lend her a hand.

Nintendo Power review.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - 8.0

+ good use of Wiimote

+ great graphics

+ psychological profile which affects game based on choices

+ creative and varied puzzles

- not particularly scary, lacks sense of danger

Sounds solid.

Great, the new screens look really nice too. Funnily enough, the thing I'm most looking forward to is the dynamic psychological profile.

- not particularly scary, lacks sense of danger

Hmm, I thought that was something they really wanted to deliver on, and was important for the game?

Hmm, I thought that was something they really wanted to deliver on, and was important for the game?

I read in some previews that you can't actually die which might explain the part about lacking any sense of danger. I also read that you don't have any weapons at all so I'm imagining a lot of running away at the scary bits.

I find that a lot of so called scary games aren't scary at all. I recently played through Dead Space Extraction (bought it because this game was delayed) and wasn't scared in the slightest (still loved it though), but my gf completed it the other night and she was scared the whole way through.

I think a lot of people rate scary games just on how many times the game makes you jump. Personally I find a dark atmosphere and creepy storyline far more scary than the games that keep on trying the make you jump tactic.

I'm really looking forward to this Silent Hill remake because I haven't played the other ones at all so the story will be all new to me. I have seen the film though.

I read in some previews that you can't actually die which might explain the part about lacking any sense of danger. I also read that you don't have any weapons at all so I'm imagining a lot of running away at the scary bits.

I find that a lot of so called scary games aren't scary at all. I recently played through Dead Space Extraction (bought it because this game was delayed) and wasn't scared in the slightest (still loved it though), but my gf completed it the other night and she was scared the whole way through.

I think a lot of people rate scary games just on how many times the game makes you jump. Personally I find a dark atmosphere and creepy storyline far more scary than the games that keep on trying the make you jump tactic.

I'm really looking forward to this Silent Hill remake because I haven't played the other ones at all so the story will be all new to me. I have seen the film though.

Truer words have never been spoken. I do prefer games that make you feel "un-easy", and that probably applies to films, too. A film like Invasion of the Bodysnatchers is more scary to me than a lot of these modern horror films, due to the atmosphere that the film creates and the ideas that it has. Being taken over by another being and then being devoid of all feeling and emotion. That's more my kind of thing than "Oh my God, a loud door slamming!"

I've been following this pretty much from the start, and I really just love the look of it. Could be a great game to have in your collection. :)

Yeah I get all that, but the fact they say 'not particularly scary' implies that they haven't delivered a fear factor, which for a game like this isn't particularly what you want to hear.

Yeah I get all that, but the fact they say 'not particularly scary' implies that they haven't delivered a fear factor, which for a game like this isn't particularly what you want to hear.

It really depends what they mean as scary, though. I mean, isn't this game meant to be more "tense" than scary? I know what you mean though, and that's why I think I'll wait for more reviews and impressions before I make a firm judgement on that aspect of the game. If the game doesn't make you feel the least bit tense or nervous at all, then...I'll be a bit gutted.

Yeah exactly... not wanting to open the next door, or look round the next corner. Creepyness and fear of the unknown. That's what I was expecting and hope for from this.

Yeah exactly... not wanting to open the next door, or look round the next corner. Creepyness and fear of the unknown. That's what I was expecting and hope for from this.

That's what I'm expecting, too. Actually, the "no-combat" part of the game made me really look forward to that fear of going into the next room. Knowing that whatever was there, you just had to run and couldn't fight back. Well, we'll see. Hopefully we won't be disappointed.

Which means that future SH titles will have nothing that the original ones had...

Project lead from Climax spoke about bad dreams: When you're a kid and wake up from a scary dream, it wasn't because you were blowing the monster's head away with a shotgun - it was more likely because you were running & hiding for your life.

That's the feeling they're pushing for in this game. I can't wait.

Akira can't leave... he's as much a part of SH as the name itself! Oh... :(

So this is the last Silent Hill? Oh well... I guess I can always play 2 again whenever I want. Here's hoping this one will please me. ^^