NEurope
Ren of Heavens

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

I'm gonna start playing this today, it's been sitting on my shelf taunting me for far too long!

Yes, this game truly holds that which I have been seeking for a very long time: True suspense and horror

(Unlike the shoot-a-lot-of-zombies phenomenon)

Stuck at the moment though, in that damn mall.....

I'm gonna start playing this today, it's been sitting on my shelf taunting me for far too long!

I got it earlier in the year and have been holding off playing it until Halloween rolls by.. but I'm really looking forward to it :hehe:

I always planned on getting through Silent Hill on the PS1 before starting Shattered Memories but progress through the original halted a few months ago and I am yet to return :hmm: I'll likely fire it up soon as I don't see myself starting Silent Hill 2 until after I complete the first..

Yes, this game truly holds that which I have been seeking for a very long time: True suspense and horror

(Unlike the shoot-a-lot-of-zombies phenomenon)

I second that one! When I heard that they were removing combat I was highly skeptical, but it works, really well. You never feel like you can back into a corner and just shoot it out, you're always on the move and the sense of impending doom is brilliant. I can't believe some sites gave it such low review scores, it's a masterpiece!

In the toy store with the model train set. If so, you'll kick yourself when you work it out,

In the toy store with the model train set. If so, you'll kick yourself when you work it out,

That was the exact same and only thing that stumped me for a moment, but I figured it out myself eventually.

I really though the safe had anything to do with my progression, so I focussed on that. Didn't manage to open it though.

I completed it this lunchtime, awesome awesome game. Everything about it was spectacular, especially the soundtrack, they totally nailed that and it gave a very spooky feeling to the game. The only puzzle that got me was at the end of one of the nightmares with the gumball machine! Other than that I got through OK.

I would definetely recommend this game to anyone, especially those who like horror games. Such a shame this didn't get the public recognition it deserved!

I completed it

Wohoo!

this lunctime

Whaaat? You played this during daylight? Sissy. :heh:

The only way to play this game is in the motherfucking dark.

DARK.

I'm getting quite turned on just thinking about this game. Oh, Harry.

Friend came over on the weekend & gave it a try, ended up playing for 2 hours & didn't want to put it down, but had to get the train. He couldn't believe that anything could feel so effortless in completely immersing you - from the spot-on controls, to actually looking at things (rather than "press a button & a popup dialog explains what it is/reads").

Also, so many things were different to when i played!

As a mentioned a couple of days ago, I was thinking of playing through Silent Hill on the PS1 soon before I get into Shattered Memories around Halloween.. and I did just that :hehe:

I resumed it just over an hour in on Tuesday night and brought it to a close today (albeit with an apparently 'bad' ending :indeed:). It was pretty great for the most part and it got me even more excited to play through the reimagining on Wii and see how they compare..

Right, I've been playing this again. Night time, lights off, nobody else around the house. Perfect atmosphere.

I like it just as much, if not even more than last time. The atmosphere is incredible and a large part of that has to go to the soundtrack. Very haunting. Really can't praise this game enough.

I would be delighted if we received a follow-up to this. The scene with the:

Car sinking in the river after the bridge collapses is fantastic. A well created scene and so memorable. I've been thinking about that part long after I initially played it and it's just so well done.

:)

I've never played a Silent Hill game before, but I have it on good authority that this will be amongst my presents at Xmas, so really looking forward to it. That's my Xmas day fully planned now, Sonic colours, followed by Xmas dinner, and end the day with this.

I would be delighted if we received a follow-up to this. The scene with the:
Car sinking in the river after the bridge collapses is fantastic. A well created scene and so memorable. I've been thinking about that part long after I initially played it and it's just so well done.
:)

I have only played through the game once but that bit was definitely very memorable. I remember fumbling furiously around the car just trying to find some way to escape my watery death :shakehead

The whole game was a fantastic experience and I'll definitely go through it again :hehe:

I did, however, spend some time with my friends and let them try out the first hour or so by themselves and was captivated by just how different the experience was. One of my friends went a different direction from myself near the start (which I wasn't even aware was there) and the other one got significantly different voicemail messages to those that I had received when I played. They were nice and clean compared to the sick, twisted and dirty messages that I had been listening to :eek: That questionnaire must have quite an effect on the game.. and I must be a horrible person :heh:

I also thought that the bit where you coloured in the picture was a really nice touch! Seeing your colour choices reflected in the following cutscene was awesome :grin: When my friend tried it, he coloured one of the faces in black.. but it, somewhat unsurprisingly, had no effect :indeed:

It's an awesome experience :yay:

Also, The Mad Monkey, you may have noticed a few posts back that I said I was going to play through the original Silent Hill on PS1 before starting Shattered Memories..

This was my first foray into the series myself, though I had previously viewed segments of Silent Hill 2 several years ago with friends who lived up at the top of my road. The Shattered Memories story may be a retelling of the original story, but they are outrageously different in their approach.. in a fantastic way :bouncy:

They are both fantastic games and I'd say it's definitely worth checking out the PS1 game in the future to absorb another great experience and also to compare and contrast it with the Wii version :hehe:

I expect to tuck into my copy of Silent Hill 2 in the near future but my time is currently divided between The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks on DS and Onimusha: Warlords on PS2 among several other games on Wii. Although I'm not sure when I'll get to it, I do know that I'm very much looking forward to it :yay:

Edited by nekunando