NEurope
Ren of Heavens

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Yet another brand new announcement from the pages of Nintendo Power! Konami will be bringing Silent Hill: Shattered Memories to Wii. The game is not a remake or port of the first Silent Hill, but rather a complete "reimagining" of the original title.

One of the biggest changes to Shattered Memories is the story, which will not be told in the same way as first time round, and will focus on new directions. The developer is also promising that player actions will have important effects on how the game pans out. The town of Silent Hill be getting inside players' heads more disturbingly than ever before.

Also featured will be full-use of Wii motion controls for environmental puzzles. There will be a lot less backtracking than in recent games and the solution to puzzles is always in the vicinity of the area.

More titbits

Scans:

SilentHillCover.jpg

scrr1.jpg

SH5.jpg

In Nintendo Power? Nah.

I'm curious as to who the developer is. Tomm Hulett seems to have background with Climax so I'm guessing them.

It's been rumoured for ages, it's a damn good mockup if it's fake.

What's Rabbids Go Home?

It's been rumoured for ages, it's a damn good mockup if it's fake.

What's Rabbids Go Home?

I hope it means the Rabbids go home, and Rayman returns with an actual Rayman game.

Meh just downloaded the original off the Playstation Store for £3.99..bargain price and still a good game has aged reasonably well...

What's Rabbids Go Home?

Action/Adventure Wii game based around the Rabbids. It's on GoNintendo.

Horror games are always welcome in my book, just as long as it's good and not an April Fools joke. Damn, I hate this fucking day.

*merged with other silent hill thread to keep all the news/ speculation together. also reimagined the title* :heh:

I'd kind of forgot about the old Silent Hill on Wii rumour. Kinda hoped it would just die out cos despite being intrigued by Winter, horror games are a total yawn to me. :zzz:

*merged with other silent hill thread to keep all the news/ speculation together

And i though it was a cunning way to delete my post... ;)

Hopefully, this is as much of an April Fools joke as the Square-Enix merger. Despite it seeming more accessible, i'm loving the fact this game is going to get "in YOUR head"

Thank you, Konami.

Edited by david.dakota

And i though it was a cunning way to delete my post... ;)

Was one of your posts lost in the transition? If so, nothing personal Dave!

could this have been the game matt was talking about? remember this game he played that was excellent and is a hardcore title and better than expected? could be..

NP Info:

-You steer Harry with the control stick

-The Wii Remote is used to aim the flashlight "This is one of the things we dreamed about when the Wii controller was first unveiled, and it's every bit as effective as we imagined."

-The developer wants the game to be as immersive as possible. "When you want to check on something in the environment, for example, you simply fix your view on it rather than press a button, and instead of text appearing on screen, Harry comments vocally."

-Streaming environments that completely eliminate load times

-The static noise comes out of the Wii Remote now. It also acts as your cell phone. "Just as we're starting to feel sufficiently uncomfortable, the Wii Remote rings and nearly scares us out of our seats." "There's no response when we answer this particular call, so we hang up and try the first thing that comes to mind: dial 911. An emergency dispatcher actually picks up, her voice emanating from the Wii Remote speaker, but she can't hear Harry and eventually hangs up. Looks like we're on our own."

-Combat has been completely removed from the game. "Instead, you have no choice but to flee, which proves considerably more terrifying."

-Once the monsters see you, the chase is on. "Holding Z button makes Harry get the lead out, and during the getaway, you can barge through doors, climb over fences, jump through windows, and so on. You can even barricade doors behind you with a bookshelf or whatever else might be handy. The static gets louder as the monsters close in, and while Harry is running, you can look back over his shoulder. Watching these abominations leap over cars and crawl along the rooftops as they relentlessly pursue our hero had us on the edge of our seats." "To be clear, these chase sequences aren't quick-time events; you have full control over Harry and can choose whichever path you see fit to his destination." "The monsters will take alternate routes to try to cut you off, and they'll use their numbers to flank you whenever possible."

- "Shattered Memories is about as far removed from a typical remake as you can imagine. It takes inspiration from the original as the foundation for something that feels like a true evolution of the series."

Holy hell that actually sounds pretty good!

Now to see this in motion to clear the final doubts.

The whole he talks when you look at stuff could get annoying when your quickly scanning over an area

-Combat has been completely removed from the game. "Instead, you have no choice but to flee, which proves considerably more terrifying."

I particularly like this part and think more horror games should minimize the military-grade arsenal thats available to their main characters

Sweet Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

All those features sound great! Awesome use of the Wiimote speaker.

I've never really played a Silent Hill game, since I didn't grow up with a Playstation/2. I do have the film on dvd, which I quite like, so I've always been tempted somewhat to try these out.

Those details are actually really good ideas. As Shino said, that's some great usage of the Wiimote speaker, which is something that is criminally underused, I feel.

The idea of no combat is pure genius. I wish I had the foresight to come up with that. You know, the Resident Evil series could have done with that maybe. Sure, being in a room where you're not sure what is around the corner is terrifying. But, if you've got a rocket launcher, a shotgun, a rifle, and grenades in your inventory...what the hell should you really be afraid of?! You could take out Scotland with that.

The only downside I can see with the "no combat" is that the game could simply become "enter a room, run to the exits. Enter the next room, run, repeat." This is where they to make sure that the feeling of dread and fear runs throughout the whole game.

The PSP might sell decently but many people buy it for it's multimedia functions and there's the piracy.

When you buy a DS you always have the intent to play games.

Many of my friends use their DS to watch movies and listen to music.

I sure hope that this game'll be good. Atless Konami are lazy f**ks (which they are for not porting MGS2 and MGS3 to the Wii), they'll up the gameplay to modern standards, like Silicon Knights did with MGS:TS.

Many of my friends use their DS to watch movies and listen to music.

I sure hope that this game'll be good. Atless Konami are lazy f**ks (which they are for not porting MGS2 and MGS3 to the Wii), they'll up the gameplay to modern standards, like Silicon Knights did with MGS:TS.

blah silicon knights did an average job.. Twin snakes looked worse than the 2 years older ps2 metal gear solid 2..

No this is more than remake... Ever get a feeling when you know something will be awesome as just a feeling :)?

ugh, just found out this is for the PSP as well. I hope the Wii version is being developed seperately. I don't want this to end up looking subpar because of shared development with a PSP version.

ugh, just found out this is for the PSP as well. I hope the Wii version is being developed seperately. I don't want this to end up looking subpar because of shared development with a PSP version.
There's something a bit wierd about the screens in the mag scan imo; they look like the FMV from Resi 2/3.

This game should be right up there with Resi 4 if they want to do it justice, but yeah I think the PSP may drag it down.