NEurope
ReZourceman

Rollercoaster Thread

I don't agree that you can "do" those 3 Disney parks in one day, unless you actually run to every rollercoaster then leave. Which seems silly. It's nice just exploring the little randoms attractions too. Maybe I'm just used to going en masse with ma famille, and having to like meet people all over the place/have stops/have meals. But it's nicer taking time.

Also where's Animal Kingdom in all this Retro? So essential!

I don't agree that you can "do" those 3 Disney parks in one day, unless you actually run to every rollercoaster then leave. Which seems silly. It's nice just exploring the little randoms attractions too. Maybe I'm just used to going en masse with ma famille, and having to like meet people all over the place/have stops/have meals. But it's nicer taking time.

Also where's Animal Kingdom in all this Retro? So essential!

If it's your first time at Disney, and you have 2 weeks in Florida as Rez does, then by all means take your time around the parks.

I'm just saying that when I went just a few weeks ago, it massively struck me that Disney (specifically the Magic Kingdom) just isn't for me anymore, I'm WAY past all that. The only ride for me there was Space Mountain, which I really enjoyed... and then possibly the most EPIC firework display I have ever seen celebrating the 4th of July... man did they put on a show for that!! I've seen parades and firework displays there in the past, but this was on a whole new level!

Anyway... yeah, since Magic Kingdom offered so little, we took the monorail to Epcot and the Bus to MGM the same day and really, I went on everything and saw all the shows that I wanted to! But then I've been a couple of times before so!

And yes, Animal Kingdom definately deserves some time!... though distance it from Busch Gardens.

Edited by Retro_Link

Animal Kingdom (or rather Expedition Everest) is really the only Disney thing I'm even remotely concerned with. :p (we will of course still go....but meh)

^ Yeah, didn't end up going to the Animal Kingdom, that ride was the only one that interested me there, and another day split between Universal and SeaWorld was the better option!

---

Being pretty Roller Coaster hardened... I know people may look for different things, but is there a definative list out there of the top 20 Coasters in the world or something?!... I'd just be interested in knowing where all the others are and maybe give them a go over the next however many years!

Animal Kingdom is so nice though. The Safari is great, and I enjoyed a lot as a place even before Expedition Everest appeared.

But I think I'm one of those insane people that just love being there (Disney, Universal etc) so much and always will.

I enjoyed and had that same magical feeling at Universal Studios (original) this time, as I always have and had at Disney in the past. I still get a magical feeling at the Magic Kingdom, but I'm also totally aware that really I'm too old for this now!... though I suppose I do have a few years on you Paj.

When I've been in the past there were always so many characters walking round the streets and attraction the whole time, and I filled my Autograph book TO THE MAX as a kid at all the parks!

I don't know if it's a reflection of the times, but I barely saw any characters whatsoever on this trip! And those I did see or hear about were scheduled time appearances you had to que and wait for.

Edited by Retro_Link

Being pretty Roller Coaster hardened... I know people may look for different things, but is there a definative list out there of the top 20 Coasters in the world or something?!... I'd just be interested in knowing where all the others are and maybe give them a go over the next however many years!

That would be the Golden Ticket Awards.

Top 10 Steel

1 Bizarro Six Flags New England

2 Apollo's Chariot Busch Gardens Europe

3 Nitro Six Flags Great Adventure

4 Goliath Six Flags Over Georgia

6 Expedition GeForce Holiday Park

7 Diamondback Kings Island

8 Phantom's Revenge Kennywood

9 Magnum XL-200 Cedar Point

10 Top Thrill Dragster Cedar Point

Top 10 Wooden

1 The Voyage Holiday World & Splashin' Safari

2 Boulder Dash Lake Compounce

3 El Toro Six Flags Great Adventure

4 Phoenix Knoebels Amusement Park & Resort

5 Thunderhead Dollywood

6 Ravine Flyer II Waldameer Park

7 The Beast Kings Island

8 Prowler Worlds of Fun

9 Hades Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park

10 Shivering Timbers Michigan's Adventure

loldollywood.

Would "Bizarro" be referring to the actual character Bizarro? I know they have random things like the Riddler Rollercoaster or whatever.

loldollywood.

Would "Bizarro" be referring to the actual character Bizarro? I know they have random things like the Riddler Rollercoaster or whatever.

Indeed. Previously Medusa. I love the theming and colour scheme. Its got fire effects too. Its SICK. Its a floorless B&M (the same ride type and manufacturer as Kraken) ~Side note, beware as you may orgasm from awesomeness~

Bizarro.jpg

000.JPG

bizarro.jpg

Oh, and incidentally, Badgerbite proposed to Caitriona at the top of the chain pull of this ride (when it was Medusa)

Edited by ReZourceman

Oh wtf! I thought there might be a chance I'd been on 1 of the 'Top 20'!!

Ah well, that just means there's more epic rides out there to go on! :D

EDIT: Considering that's the no.1 steel coaster on the list it doesn't seem much of a step up from others I've been on like Kraken... what makes it to be considered so much higher?

Edited by Retro_Link

I enjoy how it's a Superman villain most people won't even have heard of. Even Brainiac would've been more in the public conciousness!

I love the colours.

Oh wtf! I thought there might be a chance I'd been on 1 of the 'Top 20'!!

Ah well, that just means there's more epic rides out there to go on! :D

EDIT: Considering that's the no.1 steel coaster on the list it doesn't seem much of a step up from others I've been on like Kraken... what makes it to be considered so much higher?

Things like air time, nice elements, theming etc etc.

Does seem a little strange, I've just watched a video of No.2 Apollo's Chariot, and after the initial HUGE drop (:D) and the second, there's nothing more to that ride!

For nice elements, theming, thrills and all round fun, Manta is a contender for that list IMO, but then I don't make up the rules!

Does seem a little strange, I've just watched a video of No.2 Apollo's Chariot, and after the initial HUGE drop (:D) and the second, there's nothing more to that ride!

For nice elements, theming, thrills and all round fun, Manta is a contender for that list IMO, but then I don't make up the rules!

Yeah for that one particularly it'd be the airtime hills (feeling of weightlessness) which a lot of enthusiasts go crazy for. I don't particularly give a shit about them myself.

If it's your first time at Disney, and you have 2 weeks in Florida as Rez does, then by all means take your time around the parks.

I'm just saying that when I went just a few weeks ago, it massively struck me that Disney (specifically the Magic Kingdom) just isn't for me anymore, I'm WAY past all that. The only ride for me there was Space Mountain, which I really enjoyed... and then possibly the most EPIC firework display I have ever seen celebrating the 4th of July... man did they put on a show for that!! I've seen parades and firework displays there in the past, but this was on a whole new level!

Anyway... yeah, since Magic Kingdom offered so little, we took the monorail to Epcot and the Bus to MGM the same day and really, I went on everything and saw all the shows that I wanted to! But then I've been a couple of times before so!

And yes, Animal Kingdom definately deserves some time!... though distance it from Busch Gardens.

Space Mountain was closed last September, imagine my horror of realising the most thrill seeking ride of the day was going to be Goofy's Barnstormer (which is a must!!).

Seriously though, the Disney theme parks are more about the atmosphere and the little things. The rides aren't really aimed towards adult thrill seekers but they have some fun rides like the Toy Story ones. And first time trippers should take it all in, simple things, ie the monorail that goes through the hotel. But as you say if you've been before you can knock each park on the head in a day. Epcot can be spliced with a water park or something, as long as you don't get a bit merry like myself walking around the World Showcase.

Agree with you on your previous post too Manta and Hulk are amazing! Rip Ride Rockit is fun, but I got a coin in my face on the ascent. If I remember and find the time I'll try to get it uploaded somewhere. Fun ride, but not that great in my opinion, hour+ long queue didn't help. Plus my love for Busch Gardens and pretty much every ride there can not be beaten.

imagine my horror of realising the most thrill seeking ride of the day was going to be Goofy's Barnstormer (which is a must!!).

Agree with you on your previous post too Manta and Hulk are amazing! Rip Ride Rockit is fun, but I got a coin in my face on the ascent. If I remember and find the time I'll try to get it uploaded somewhere. Fun ride, but not that great in my opinion, hour+ long queue didn't help. Plus my love for Busch Gardens and pretty much every ride there can not be beaten.

haha :D

Similarly, Thunder Mountain had been closed/broken down on the 2/3 occasions I'd been to Florida before (and Space Mountain the time before)... so I finally achieved my childhood dream of going on it this time!

Damn Disney and it's breaking down!... Space Mountain actually closed this time aswell, but they fired her up again! :)

and yeah, RockIt isn't going to necessarily win any awards for anything, but it was just unique and a different experience to your conventional rollercoaster, so it really stood out for me.

Edited by Retro_Link

Good pictures and report, Retro Link. Glad you enjoyed it.

Rez has given you the Golden Ticket list, but I always thought enthusiasts preferred Mitch Hawker's poll, as it has a very thorough (and supposedly fair/accurate system). Hey, I don't know, I'm nowhere near as keen on roller coasters as I used to be, but here it are the 2009 results:

Wood

1. Voyage, Holiday World

2. El Toro, SFGAdv

3. T Express, Everland

4. Boulder Dash, Lake Compunce

5. Ravine Flyer II, Waldameer

6. Prowler, Worlds of Fun

7. Balder, Liseberg

-8. Phoenix, Knoebels

-8. Fireball, Happy Valley Song

10. Aska, Nara Dreamland

11. Thunderhead, Dollywood

12. Colossos, Heide Park

Steel

1. Bizarro, SFNE

2. Eagle's Fortress, Everland

3. Expedition GeForce, Holiday Park

4. Diamondback, Kings Island

5. Goliath, Walibi World

6. Piraten, Djurs Sommerland

7. Nemesis, Alton Towers

8. Katun, Miribilandia

9. Kawasemi, Tobu Zoo

10. Millennium Force, Cedar Point

11. Pyrenees, Pargue Espana

http://www.ushsho.com/bestrollercoasterpoll.htm

By the way, I think there are some crossed wires in this thread. Bizarro at SFNE is an Intamin hyper coaster (it used to be called Superman: Ride of Steel). It's a huge coaster with no inversions. The B&M Floorless called Bizarro is at SFGAdv and used to be called Medusa, and whilst it's well-respected, it's S:ROS at SFNE that's always had the hype.

Edited by Grazza

By the way, I think there are some crossed wires in this thread. Bizarro at SFNE is an Intamin hyper coaster (it used to be called Superman: Ride of Steel). It's a huge coaster with no inversions. The B&M Floorless called Bizarro is at SFGAdv and used to be called Medusa, and whilst it's well-respected, it's S:ROS at SFNE that's always had the hype.

Woops, lol.

No way can Nemesis at Alton Towers be on any world top 10.. That ride is shite.

No way can Nemesis at Alton Towers be on any world top 10.. That ride is shite.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

There isn't a single B&M in the world that is shite.

Re-read the above comment (from Ramar) and lolled at its inaccuracy. :p

Anyway moving on, waddya think?

View in 480p at least (or if thats the highest)

!"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blackpool Pleasure Beach are opening a "Nickelodeon Land" next year with significant investment!!!!!

Very good news, and they are getting a lot of good new rides, and retheming some older ones. Rugrats log flume. A Dora the Explorer indoor bubble works type ride. A Spongebob Mack Twist N Splash. An Avatar the last airbender Disko coaster.

Very cool.

Yeah I know. But the ride actually sounds really good, travelling through different countries.

And Bubbleworks is pretty spectacular and magical.

Here's some concept art.

Picture+14.png

I posted this in the F1 thread, but it belongs here too...

:D Sweet!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-11620485

World's fastest rollercoaster:

_49646112_010279540-1.jpg

Climb aboard the world's fastest rollercoaster. Be prepared to reach speeds of up to 240 km/h (149mph) and enjoy a feeling similar to a Formula One racing driver.

That is the hype from those behind Abu Dhabi's Ferrari World, the largest indoor theme park in the world, which opens on Wednesday.

The Formula Rossa rollercoaster boasts acceleration from 0 to 60mph (97km/h) in 2 seconds, and takes the title from the Kingda Ka in New Jersey, US, which reaches speeds of 128mph.

I've got to get on that some time!!