NEurope
ReZourceman

Rollercoaster Thread

You legend! :grin:

I have a sneaking suspicion the freefalling track is going to drop you underground, down through the 'unearthed opening of the crypt' and take you back through it on a chilling adventure?

Yeah it goes underground! :D Quite far (saw it a few weeks back)

8516_292278195580_509970580_9380998_6030719_n.jpg

SW6pp2.png

Edited by ReZourceman

I wish we had cool rollercoasters like that here. Belgium sucks when it comes to theme parks. I've never even been on a rollercoaster with a vertical track bit. =(

Hmmmm thats annoying. You fucker. What if you book it uber in advance? I assume Theme Fest Mein Fuhrer won't a problem, cos' that will probably be a similar thing.

Don't you go putting a turd in my hamper! :(

I'll have words with your boss.

I'm not sure about booking in advance. There's generally an unwritten rule that holidays can only be taken in half terms (and one person at a time). I doubt it would be a problem getting time off in quiet times though (January, February and maybe March).

This thread has actually made me want to go to Alton Towers again, the new rides look awesome!! I went a few years ago and didn't get much of a buzz, but my head was in a funny place then, I bet if I went now I'd lov it!

As opposed to Oblivion (which is literally just vertical track) this would be more similar to drop towers. Here is a video in fact. :)

So it's an actual vertical fall, stopped by magnetic brakes, I imagine? I must say, I expected a pivot point at the far end. In fact, if the train doesn't land on a slant, how will it roll backwards out?

I must say, I'm a bit of a grump and this doesn't do anything for me. I'd rather they made a different type of coaster (woodie or Mega Lite) and advertised "Eight big drops, 20 seconds of airtime" etc. With Merlin putting the emphasis on theming these days (and scary theming at that), they're forgetting about the fun. To me coasters should be about fun (drops, airtime etc), not fear - they're very different things.

So it's an actual vertical fall, stopped by magnetic brakes, I imagine? I must say, I expected a pivot point at the far end. In fact, if the train doesn't land on a slant, how will it roll backwards out?

I must say, I'm a bit of a grump and this doesn't do anything for me. I'd rather they made a different type of coaster (woodie or Mega Lite) and advertised "Eight big drops, 20 seconds of airtime" etc. With Merlin putting the emphasis on theming these days (and scary theming at that), they're forgetting about the fun. To me coasters should be about fun (drops, airtime etc), not fear - they're very different things.

In that video I was just giving a simple explanation. I've seen a video that looks to be official, of it (as you saying) tipping at the bottom on a pivot.

IMO theming is mega important. A shit coaster can be made amazing with good theming, a fun coaster can be made absolutely amazing with good theming. I mean the inside of Saw is amazing IMO.

Spinball Whizzer is rumoured to being re-themed into a Sonic The Hedgehog coaster. (Just a simple repaint/signs etc presumably)

Not confirmed its actually Sonic yet, but the blue seems pretty identical.

S7300967.jpg

S7300975.jpg

CONFIRMED! Woot.

Sonic_Logo.jpg

So can't wait to ride it now! Going on April 2nd.

New theming, sound effects and car design is expected for the new season.

Wasted opportunity if it doesn't have the ring sound affect.

And Chessingtons re-themed/new land is looking great.

kobraconstruction2.jpg

kobraconstruction3.jpg

monkeyswingerconstruction1.jpg

Haha that is freaking epic news. I MUST go again this year. Had an epic time in the rain last Summer with my now ex. Spinball Whizzer was actually way more fun than I thought it'd be.

Haha that is freaking epic news. I MUST go again this year. Had an epic time in the rain last Summer with my now ex. Spinball Whizzer was actually way more fun than I thought it'd be.

Yeah, Maurer Sohne spinning coasters are actually fricking awesome. Dragons Fury at Chessington is the tits. Its quite intense, and its got some utterly amazing elements, two in particular, one a steep helix down, where the train spins in line with the curve...just...an amazing unique feeling, and a great twisty bumpy bit at the end.

I really want Thorpe to get a really good, highly themed one!

I'm a massive rollercoaster fan - and this is looking superb.

thirteen-alton-towers.png

After a few years of nonsense rides being built, Alton have stepped up to the plate with Secret Weapon 6 - Thirteen. Billed as the world first 'psychocoaster', the ride is themed around a the discovery of an old crypt - and some sort of envading Dark Forest.

Rollercoaster genius John Wardley (who i saw ride Air once), who has worked with Alton Towers in the past to create Nemesis, Oblivion and Air, said: "This ground-breaking technology is something never seen before and will open up a whole new concept for theme park rides.

"By combining physical and psychological terror, Thirteen will be the first ride to play on emotional fear and something coaster fans will not be prepared for."

Official Site now open.

After a few years of nonsense rides being built, Alton have stepped up to the plate with Secret Weapon 6 - Thirteen..

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

I've got "roller coaster glasses" lol. My Quicksilver (normal) ones would fall off, (well they wouldn't...but they would on particularly rough rides/are worrying) but my old glasses have curved ear bits, and are tight so stay on...they are just a slightly old prescription, but it allows me to see, as opposed to "blur". : peace:ry:

Yeah so my roller coaster glasses fell out of my inside coat pocket on Spinball Whizzer last year. Lol.

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24007&highlight=coaster

Also, I'm skeptical...I can't imagine "real psychological terror" being integrated into roller coasters successfully.

Oh thats just stupid press release bull shit.

The ride really is going to be awesome though. The story is shaping up so awesomely. They have rehthemed Rita to have roots from the dark forsest climbing up the supports and the hut, and the story that when they got rid of Corkscew and uncovered the evil, it spread throughout the area.

God I can't wait to ride it. I can't wait to see whats on the inside.

And....Harry Potter just looks incredible.

....Okay I was about to grab some pictures but the site I normally use closed down a few days ago. :(

7132_150696193629_514683629_2514779_2945909_n.jpg

Good to see my favourite, Sheikra getting mentioned in here. Went on that bad boy a total 13 times when I was in Florida in September. I got so use to the 200ft drop that me and my friends were doing the macarena (to the best of our restricted abilities) as the cart hung over the edge. Good times.

I've been to Florida 7 times I think since I was small, and I've never been to Busch Gardens :( (that's where it is, right?). I'd definitely do Shiekra next time I'm there (hopefully I'll go back).

Busch Gardens was my favourite park in Florida in terms of coasters. But I went before the Sheikra opened.

I've been to Florida 7 times I think since I was small, and I've never been to Busch Gardens :( (that's where it is, right?). I'd definitely do Shiekra next time I'm there (hopefully I'll go back).

I've been twice. Once when I was about 11 with my parents, and then last year with my friends.

Busch Gardens was my favourite park in Florida in terms of coasters. But I went before the Sheikra opened.

I'd agree with that, the rollercoasters are great. If I remember right they got rid of the rollercoaster without a loop, which shows what they're all about.

I think Sea World has some decent coasters too, Manta definitely gives the weirdest sensation I've felt. There's a weird loop where you go backwards* and twist out of it, quality stuff, but it just feels weird. Pity I only went on it the once.

*I say backwards, but when you're in a super-man flying position, it's more lying on back and going head first.

Edited by Ramar

Not been on Manta, opened after I last went. I loved Kraken, just cause it's a really comfortable rollercoaster. The big loops mean you aren't jerked about or anything. Whereas things like Incredible Hulk gave me a headache, it so small and tight.

gave me a headache, it so small and tight.

Thats what she said.

And the most comfortable rides are B&M flying. You could (well I could) sleep on them. (Like Manta and Air)

I was well aware of that when I posted, but wanted to see if anyone picked up. :p

So apparently Saw Alive is amazing.

And Thirteen will be amazing.

And Thorpe Park have a new MTDP, apparently getting a coaster in 2012 and 2015 and between now and 2016 there will be 4 - 5 new flat rides.

Apparently the 2012 coaster will be at or below 165 feet, and be a B&M prototype apparently an inverted

cp_raptor.jpg

Dive Machine

250px-AltonTowers-Oblivion.JPG

Wing Walker

LKRidercamFuriusBaco.jpg

Hybrid.

:D