NEurope
ReZourceman

Rollercoaster Thread

I don't think I've ever been on one. =(

How many rollercoasters are there in Thorpe Park? Which park in the UK is the best for rollercoasterssss? I need to know!

I find them too scary, to be honest.

Ah thats cool. Tis a shame though. I don't think they're scary at all really (apart from a slight "Wow this is fucking fucking high" being dangled over the top) but I find vertical drops (on dive machines) just.....can't beat it on a coaster for me. I'm not being macho though - Apocalypse at Drayton Manor is the most terrifying thing IMO. I don't go on it (or rather, wouldn't now) because I don't think its that fun either. But mainly the scariness. I just....love Dive Machines though.

How many rollercoasters are there in Thorpe Park? Which park in the UK is the best for rollercoasterssss? I need to know!

There are two main parks that come to mind (or rather....three. Kind of. For roller coasters at least)

Alton Towers - Amazing park. Basically guaranteed to be an amazing day. For roller coasters;

Nemesis. Regarded as one of the best coasters in the world. Hugs the scenery, built in a hole basically, with red (blood) water falls.

10-nemesis.png

Air. A flying coaster. Its "tranquil". Its as gentle and smooth as a coaster could get, whilst still being quite thrilling. Put your hands out and pretend your Superman. Or in my case Invincible. :p

air_rollercoaster_alton_towers.jpg

Oblivion. (A dive machine as being discussed). You drop into a hole, the total height of the ride is 180 feet, with only 60 above ground. Its awesome.

450px-AltonTowers-Oblivion.JPG

Rita. It has a nice launch, a punchy ride with lots of curves and tight turns. Its fun/fine.

rita.jpg

Th13teen. Mildly nice theming. A really FUN family coaster. Holds secrets I won't say in case you go, it'd be more fun if you didn't know the secrets it holds.

alon-towers-th13teen-61953002.jpg

NEXT POST ; Thorpe Park!

Thorpe Park. (Nearer to where you would be, assuming you were visiting CorFlinkius) and although overall not as HIGHLY themed and IMMERSIVE as Alton Towers (Alton Towers, is truely a magical place, more akin to Disney) as opposed to Thorpe which is basically a flat island(s) of concrete with rides on, and loose theming around.

Stealth. It is a short ride, MAJOR short, and is a 1-2 trick pony. A REALLY quick launch, of the fasting accelerating rides in the world. I think its 0-80MPH in 1.8 seconds or just over. Then up 200ft and then down. Its awesome, but its too short. So so short, shame.

stealth-at-thorpe-park-136747.jpg

Nemesis Inferno. Great ride. Smooth, great track flow and weaving movement, cool station and some good theming, cool inversions, disorientating and fun!

NemesisInferno.jpg

inferno12.jpg

Colossus. Meh. Has aged very badly (9 years old), pretty rough now, but the worst thing is the god awful trains. NO ROOM FOR ANYTHING. Barely enough room to even fit your legs in and my legs aren't even that long. Its cool though. Well its fine. 10 inversions. Its cool, but uncomfy.

Colossus28.jpg

Saw : The Ride. Some people like it, some people don't. I think its fucking bad ass. Start off in the building, Jigsaw's traps and countdowns, and Billy Doll (or whatever his name)....I won't reveal exactly whats in the building but...THERE IS A FUCKING COOL BIT! Then you go outside, do a more than vertical drop under rotating saws, some nice inversions, and a good (camelback/bunnyhope/not sure it 100% counts as either) but I love it. The inside bit is awesomely themed.

3713251374_91c647c577.jpg

AND if you visit next year there'll be another coaster too! :p

Hopefully I can visit both multiple times in the future. =)

The amount of theme parks/rollercoasters I've been to/on in my life is shamefully low. We don't really have many options here in Belgium, so the only one I've been going to is Disneyland... and even that is only once every few years. Not exactly the top for rollercoasters either heh. =P

Are Nemesis and Nemesis Inferno made by the same people/group?

Also Ine, Space Mountain FTW!! :DOr at least the Florida one!

Are Nemesis and Nemesis Inferno made by the same people/group?

B&M!!!!!!!!

(Bolliger and Mabillard)

I prefer wooden rollercoasters to the steel ones, give me the clickety clack and vibrations of these anyday. You can stick your fifteen inversions and vertical drops up your arse.

I really want to go on this, but would be shitting it all the way up! It had a loop, but they removed it after an accident in 2006

image004.jpg

Edited by Dog-amoto

I don't think I've ridden a roller coaster in nearly a decade. This thread is depressing. :blank:

I'm afraid to say there are only two UK parks with lots of roller coasters (which Rez detailed in his awesome post), apart from Blackpool Pleasure Beach, which is good for wooden coasters but the steel ones it has are not up there with Thorpe/Alton's. There are lots of other decent coasters scattered around the UK, but not in one location that I could truly recommend.

I don't know if you can easily get into Denmark, Germany and the Netherlands? If so, you have a lot of good options available to you, such as Heide Park, Europa Park, Efteling, Toverland and other parks with one really good coaster each.

I don't think I've ridden a roller coaster in nearly a decade. This thread is depressing. :blank:

I haven't ridden a new "thrill" coaster since Nemesis Inferno in 2003. I'm a bit of a wuss, unfortunately, and I felt the UK coasters got a bit too extreme last decade, especially with the Intamin rocket coasters and the Gerstlauer Euro Fighters, so I stopped visiting the parks. I did used to love riding Nemesis, Air and Nemesis Inferno though, and I'd like to reawaken my inner thrillseeker.

It didn't help that I really hurt my neck on a Pinfari looper in 2008 (Klondike, Hayling Island) and it only fully recovered late last year. Please, please do not ride these small (50ft) looping coasters. I know it's hard to believe that a coaster could seriously injure you, but it's possible.

My favourite coasters are, let's see... Millennium Coaster at Fantasy Island, Megafobia (if it's still smooth), Cobra at Paultons and Roller Coaster at Great Yarmouth. To me, the past decade has been all about the Netherlands and Germany, which have got the bulk of Europe's GCI woodies.

Just out of interest, am I the only one who would prefer a greater number of medium-sized parks with one really great coaster to the mega parks like Thorpe and Alton? I can't help but feel they've got a bit out of control. That's how it used to be in the UK, with many parks just as important as the Big Two, like Drayton, Flamingo Land etc etc.

On a happier note... B&M, yes!! I'll rule out a Dive Machine unless they remove Saw and I'll also rule out, unfortunately, a Speedcoaster, because even their junior hypers are bigger than 126ft. That leaves the Wing Walker. I also wouldn't rule out a flying coaster, although if it had a pretzel loop, that would be easy to identify on the planning application (which I haven't seen myself).

I'm afraid to say there are only two UK parks with lots of roller coasters (which Rez detailed in his awesome post), apart from Blackpool Pleasure Beach, which is good for wooden coasters but the steel ones it has are not up there with Thorpe/Alton's. There are lots of other decent coasters scattered around the UK, but not in one location that I could truly recommend.

I don't know if you can easily get into Denmark, Germany and the Netherlands? If so, you have a lot of good options available to you, such as Heide Park, Europa Park, Efteling, Toverland and other parks with one really good coaster each.

Denmark isn't exactly around the corner for me haha. Germany and the Netherlands are close, but since I can't drive I can't go there. Plus I have no one who would go with me anyway. Booh.

Out of those parks you mentioned I've been to the Efteling, but that was about 14 years ago. Don't think they even had a coaster yet at that point. =P

That is NOT a safe-looking construction. :shakehead

You won't like the look of this one then. :p

sfot_1_4.jpg

Edited by ReZourceman

I went to Efteling around 1992. They had a coaster called The Python which had a double loop and double corkscrew

The main reason I mentioned Efteling was for Joris en de Draak (George and the Dragon), a new GCI woodie. Sure to be a good, smooth coaster for Eenuh to try:

joris_en_de_draak_450.png

10042502.jpg

Please can we have some in the UK!

I went to Efteling around 1992. They had a coaster called The Python which had a double loop and double corkscrew

Ah right, there might be. Honestly I don't remember much from it. I think I've been three times in my life (as a kid), and all I remember is the fairy tale forest haha.

The main reason I mentioned Efteling was for Joris en de Draak (George and the Dragon), a new GCI woodie. Sure to be a good, smooth coaster for Eenuh to try:

joris_en_de_draak_450.png

10042502.jpg

Please can we have some in the UK!

Yeah I was quite excited when they mentioned this coaster for De Efteling ages ago (before building it). I know there were quite a few problems with it when it first started operating, but it seems fun. But like I said, no one to go with me or no way to get there. =(

Brilliant news! Here are the plans for the Thorpe Park roller coaster. It has a plane theme and no vertical loop, so is bound to be a Wing Rider. It's short though (do they lose more energy than normal coasters?) The layout has a curved drop, a massive corkscrew, an inclined helix/inclined loop and then another corkscrew:

BM2.jpg

BM1.jpg

Let's hope it gets permission, because it looks like the best UK coaster since 2003!

That looks rediculously short!... Like Rita short!

(Its the same length as Nemesis Inferno) (May look short but it is a big ride with giganticish trains)

It looks....so....so good.

Like....they dive loop....over and under a plane wing? THAT IS AWESOME. Looks like you go through a building too?! This is fucking amazing.

Edited by ReZourceman

OK, it's no Kraken, but there's a decent amount of track there, and a lot of elements. This is a good site for it: http://www.thorpeparkmania.co.uk/news/11-02-2011/LC12-Plans-Released

I misunderstood it before (hadn't looked at the overhead views). The elements seem to be:

Station

Lift hill

Inline twist/dive loop

Zero G roll

Inclined helix

Low right-turn

Corkscrew

Left-turn

Inline twist

Left-turn

Brake run

So, five "real" elements (emboldened). I thought the 2nd element was a giant corkscrew, but seeing the overhead view, I realise it's a Zero G (although as the original idea, with inverteds, etc, was that you're in the middle of the heartline, doing it on a Wing Walker will be interesting!)

Awesome, I think. Could hardly be better.

Yeah exactly.

126 foot dive loop = Fucking...just....ungodly good. That goes under a fucking 737/747? That is bloody fantastic.

The Zero G roll is fucking gargantuant as well...it must be close to 100 feet? Can you imagine that on the trains......at the speed it'll be going at. Hell even slow (not sure what wind resistance is like or whatever, but it'll at least be blistering at the beginning) that thing is going to pack a punch.

The uber inclined helix....looks....so so so nice.

Its....its gorgeous. Best UK coaster probably. Its unlike nothing we've had before.

The theming sounds/looks so good.

The Zero G roll is fucking gargantuant as well...it must be close to 100 feet?

30.6m :o

As far as I'm concerned, this is international-standard. These things are never going to be able to do vertical loops, so that's one way no one can "better" it. Plus, it may look short, but coasters with wide cars lose a lot of speed (Dive Machines are the same). OK, someone might make one with an extra element or two, but not many, and I suspect they'll have to go a lot higher to do that.

This is the real deal. :D

30.6m :o

As far as I'm concerned, this is international-standard. These things are never going to be able to do vertical loops, so that's one way no one can "better" it. Plus, it may look short, but coasters with wide cars lose a lot of speed (Dive Machines are the same). OK, someone might make one with an extra element or two, but not many, and I suspect they'll have to go a lot higher to do that.

This is the real deal. :D

Totally agree. It doesn't exactly have a huge amount of elements, but the elements it does have are just......crazy. Absolutely crazy.

The house bit looks bloody awesome too! (If I am interpreting the plans correctly)