NEurope
ReZourceman

Rollercoaster Thread

May not mean a lot to yew newbs, but the Alton Towers 2010 coaster

A) Track has arrived

B) Its confirmed as Intamin

C) The main rumour is that the worlds first element (its confirmed to have one) will be the way it switches back. Apparently it might be a vertical drop portion of track. Type thing. Just rumour though.

And The Wizarding World of Harry Potter looks AMAZING and I mean SERIOUSLY amazing. Re-theme of the Duelling Dragons, a family Hippogrith coaster, and the main attraction inside Hogwarts is "Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey" which will be a ride with state of the art technology, it has been confirmed that the actors have filmed stuff for the ride etc. It sounds like its gonna be great.

Also in Hogsmeade (sounds so good) you will actually be able to buy Butter Beers and Pumpkin Juice and stuff.

AND it opens in Spring 2010.

I am SO going. I've always wanted to go to Orlando anyway, and then they drop this A-bomb. Awesome.

So yeah heres a video of both.

http://www.universalorlando.com/harrypotter/first_look_uo.html

Humm. Are they keeping Ug Land as Ug Land or are they re-themeing the entire area? Since Rita moved there it has always seemed a bit odd. I hope they do something unique with this new coaster. Nemesis is still by far my favourite, it's neither the fastest nor the most extreme but it has a perfect blend of everything needed.

And The Wizarding World of Harry Potter looks AMAZING and I mean SERIOUSLY amazing. Re-theme of the Duelling Dragons, a family Hippogrith coaster, and the main attraction inside Hogwarts is "Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey" which will be a ride with state of the art technology, it has been confirmed that the actors have filmed stuff for the ride etc. It sounds like its gonna be great.

Also in Hogsmeade (sounds so good) you will actually be able to buy Butter Beers and Pumpkin Juice and stuff.

AND it opens in Spring 2010.

I am SO going. I've always wanted to go to Orlando anyway, and then they drop this A-bomb. Awesome.

So yeah heres a video of both.

http://www.universalorlando.com/harrypotter/first_look_uo.html

Take me with you, please. I'll hide in your suitcase or something haha. =D

But yeah, would love to go to the Harry Potter theme park, as well as a ton of other parks there. The Harry Potter one looks like it will be really nice, and should be great for fans!

Humm. Are they keeping Ug Land as Ug Land or are they re-themeing the entire area? Since Rita moved there it has always seemed a bit odd. I hope they do something unique with this new coaster. Nemesis is still by far my favourite, it's neither the fastest nor the most extreme but it has a perfect blend of everything needed.

Its not confirmed but rumoured that the whole area's going to be re-themed, and Rita repainted. Which would be awesome. The new ride looks great though. It really does. It should be really high themed. Its the first major ride since Merlin took over too, so it is looking hopeful.

Take me with you, please. I'll hide in your suitcase or something haha. =D

But yeah, would love to go to the Harry Potter theme park, as well as a ton of other parks there. The Harry Potter one looks like it will be really nice, and should be great for fans!

Yeah it really does look incredible.

Harry Potter land looks pretty good yeah, got an e-mail from Universal about it yesterday.

If my famille do go again (seems likely), I hope it's once that's open.

C) The main rumour is that the worlds first element (its confirmed to have one) will be the way it switches back. Apparently it might be a vertical drop portion of track. Type thing. Just rumour though.

Hmm, my guess is that it's a backwards tyre launch. Would that be a world's first for a switchback coaster? Any other launch would probably be too intense, considering you're going backwards.

Another possibilty is what I call a "pivot point". There are a lot of rumours of a "track drop". Rather than a "points" system (like Expedition Everest), where the train rolls back into track that has been re-aligned, the train might be held on a piece of track that has one pivot point (in front of the train), with the rear of the track dropping and slotting into slanted track that is directly below. The train would then be released and roll backwards down into the helix.

Edited by Grazza
colours

Hmm, my guess is that it's a backwards tyre launch. Would that be a world's first for a switchback coaster? Any other launch would probably be too intense, considering you're going backwards.

No idea if thats a first. The next few months will be hugely exciting though. Interesting ideas that would be awesome that you have there.

First time visiting Thorpe Park tommorow! Any tips for what attractions/rides to go on/avoid? x

First time visiting Thorpe Park tommorow! Any tips for what attractions/rides to go on/avoid? x

You'll probably have time to do everything multiple times really, so theres no real tips. All the rides are great. Avoid Tidal Wave if its wet/cold. Oh the 4D cinema is pretty shit now.

Track is being erected on the Alton 2010 coaster.

I believe we found out Saw The Ride was gonna be Saw The Ride about this time last year....but Alton are keeping more of a lid on this ride.

Anyway, theres rumblings that the worlds first element might be revolving switch back seats. Meaning you're always going forwards/backwards. Or a pivot switchback. Or stuff. Spinning trains. Etc.

The way I see it, it has to be something marketable though. If it wasn't they wouldn't mention it.

*Excited*

Going to Alton and Thorpe for their Halloween mega whynz soon.

This all isn't exactly about rollercoasters, but it's still about theme parks, so I figured I'd post it here...

I went to Thorpe Park again yesterday with some friends from work, and it was awesome! We went on Saw, Nemesis Inferno, Colossus and Stealth numerous times, as well as Depth Charge, Tidal Wave (both I don't recommend at this time of year. :heh:), Samurai and Detonator. All rides were awesome, and never got old, I deffinitely recommend it!

The good thing about yesterday, however, was the fact that it was the start of the Halloween month, so the park was open till 8pm, with some horror themed atractions opening at around 3/4pm. There's four of them; 'The Curse', 'The Asylum', 'Se7en' and 'Hellgate', of which we only managed the first two (due to lack of time.) 'They all inlolve navigating around creepy environments as a group, with special effects going on and actors acting as crazy/mental/possesed people jumping out and trying to scare you. Oh, plus Stealth and Nemesis Inferno are absolutely brilliant in the dark! :D

[RIDE SPOILERS AHEAD]

This was set in a cursed ship, I think, and it really wasn't scary at all. There were some nice special effects, such as strobe lighting, and there were remains 'deceased' of the crew in some sections, which was alright, but not shocking enough. Also peeps peering out of windows suddenly. The only part that slightly caught us off gaurd was when someone grabbed our legs from a gap under the floor. Of course, we were all too busy taking the piss to take it all seriously. :heh:

This was awesome! Again, not scary (we were still joking about), but in terms of presentation and atmosphere, it was far better. It was set in a hospital gone wrong, and I hate hopspitals. Blood stained walls, wired fences and creepy hospital patients and doctors were the sights of this attraction. I couldn't help but get a Silent Hill vibe from it, especially with the sounds sirens going off. The actors were much better in this too, and the strobe lighting really helped. One second there'd be no one there, then when the lights flickered there'd suddenly be someone sprinting at you. The end was awesome too, with a crazy Doctor with a chainsaw chasing you down. This was deffinitely worth it for the experience.

We qued for 'Se7en', but the electrics went out whilst we waited, and we couldn't be arsed.

[/RIDE SPOILERS]

Overall, 'The Asylum' was awesome, I deffinitely recommend it! 'The Curse' was a let down, but it was still fun, but for being so shockingly bad.

Edited by CoolFunkMan

Not reading the spoilers yet as we're heading there on Thursday, but I shit myself on The Curse last year. It had been literally agggeeesss since anything or anyone, and I was at the back, and then out of nowhere the last actor we came across was sprinting towards me. I shit it.

Hard.

<3 Fright Nights. Hopefully its equally quiet on Thursday. Busy Thorpe does my HEAD in.

Alton Towers talk about new ride:

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=151318457

Get ready for 'scariest ride in UK'

847991F25D61437DB77A699C6FBBC8.jpg

A view of the new ultimate rollercoaster Thirteen at Alton Towers

Alton Towers Resort is to launch "the scariest ride in the UK" next year.

Thirteen, built on the site of the old Corkscrew rollercoaster, aims to combine physical and psychological fear and will be dubbed a "psychoaster".

The £15 million ride will be restricted to 16 to 55-year-olds only and visitors limited to one ride per day "due to concerns about emotional maturity and physical health", resort bosses said.

Visitors will also be required to sign a waiver which assures the resort of their physical and mental health "to avoid any resulting lawsuits".

Alton Towers' latest secret weapon comes after the successes of Nemesis, Oblivion and Air and will be based on the discovery of an unearthed ancient burial site in an area of unexplored woodland known as the Dark Forest.

A spokesman said: "Visitors will be invited to take a petrifying ride on Thirteen, venturing into the seemingly living and breathing Dark Forest. There they will face an unknown horror that has been unleashed from the ancient crypt."

Built on a burial site that is part of the original Alton Abbey, one of the main features will take place inside the unearthed crypt.

Morwenna Angove, Alton Towers' sales and marketing director, said: "This new ride will be a shocking, never-experienced-before rollercoaster and we're excited that once again the Alton Towers Resort is able to offer visitors the chance to experience something unavailable in any other part of the world.

"However, just as we take physical health and safety very seriously, Thirteen demands that we also consider our visitors' emotional health, and as such we're not afraid of introducing necessary measures to ensure riders are fully prepared and healthy enough to brave Thirteen."

The new ride took a team of 35 people nine months to build and will be launched in March next year.

haha wtf, sounds intense!! Awesome!! Edited by Retro_Link

It's either going to be really underwhelming after that Press Release, or result in deaths and have to close/change.

The only ride that really affected me (and people) adversely repeatedly was Mission: SPACE in EPCOT. Effectively simiulating launch into space, as four people are in a rectangular box, sta on a pivot (or whatever) with x amount of other rectangular boxes, spun at such an incredible speed, you feel the same force of going into space (apparently). Centrifugal motion and shit.

My brain was squished to the back of my skull when I came out. Various old people were lying on benches whimpering. I think it's been toned down since.

09121101_thirteen_logo.jpg

To clarify ;

- It won't have any age restrictions whatsoever

- You won't have to sign a waiver

- You won't be limited to one ride per day.

Its pretty much confirmed that the worlds first element is the freefalling track now. Which is fucking very very awesome. Looks like it'll be really good. Ridiculous press release though. :P

http://www.altontowers.com/2010/

09121101_thirteen_logo.jpg

To clarify ;

- It won't have any age restrictions whatsoever

- You won't have to sign a waiver

- You won't be limited to one ride per day.

Its pretty much confirmed that the worlds first element is the freefalling track now. Which is fucking very very awesome. Looks like it'll be really good. Ridiculous press release though. :P

http://www.altontowers.com/2010/

I assume you will be going to that as soon as possible. Do me a favour, invite me along. None of my friends like theme parks (I think they're all legally retarded).

I assume you will be going to that as soon as possible. Do me a favour, invite me along. None of my friends like theme parks (I think they're all legally retarded).

I was going to invite you anyway (as I probably will to all theme park trips, ever from now on, lol) but yeah, I was literally arranging it now/this week, now that they've announced when its open.

It will probably be Alton/Thorpe double-day (cos Mike is coming and he hasn't been to Thorpe since Saw). Will probably be the week after they open. And will be weekday. Hopefully thats good with you, or I'll come and man-nap you from your workplace.

:santa:

I was going to invite you anyway (as I probably will to all theme park trips, ever from now on, lol) but yeah, I was literally arranging it now/this week, now that they've announced when its open.

It will probably be Alton/Thorpe double-day (cos Mike is coming and he hasn't been to Thorpe since Saw). Will probably be the week after they open. And will be weekday. Hopefully thats good with you, or I'll come and man-nap you from your workplace.

:santa:

When do the parks open? If it's in our busy time at work, I won't be able to get any time off. Half term is the only time I can really book holidays and some greedy fuckbag has taken the first one of next year. That's really put a turd in my hamper.

When do the parks open? If it's in our busy time at work, I won't be able to get any time off. Half term is the only time I can really book holidays and some greedy fuckbag has taken the first one of next year. That's really put a turd in my hamper.

Hmmmm thats annoying. You fucker. What if you book it uber in advance? I assume Theme Fest Mein Fuhrer won't a problem, cos' that will probably be a similar thing.

Don't you go putting a turd in my hamper! :(

I'll have words with your boss.

Its pretty much confirmed that the worlds first element is the freefalling track now. Which is fucking very very awesome. Looks like it'll be really good.
What's a free falling track then? Different to a free falling style rides like Oblivion/Drop Towers I take it... how does the track work?

What's a free falling track then? Different to a free falling style rides like Oblivion/Drop Towers I take it... how does the track work?

As opposed to Oblivion (which is literally just vertical track) this would be more similar to drop towers. Here is a video in fact. :)

You legend! :grin:

I have a sneaking suspicion the freefalling track is going to drop you underground, down through the 'unearthed opening of the crypt' and take you back through it on a chilling adventure?