NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Jackster

Anyone able to recommend a good keyboard?

Hey people, I'm getting a Dell Studio XPS 1340 in about two weeks and I'm looking to set up a kick ass workstation type thing at my desk so I don't have to slouch over the LCD on the laptop. I'm gonna get a nice big monitor and mount it on the wall, I've already ordered a Logitech MX Revolution mouse and now I'm looking for a keyboard.

The keyboard will mostly be used for web browsing tbh, although it'll probably see some FPS gaming and most likely some school work and some Visual Studio work.

I'd really like a backlit keyboard. It's gotta be a USB keyboard and it should have at least one USB port on it so I can plug the mouse's wireless receiver into it since my new laptop hasn't got many USB ports built into it.

I've got a Logitech G15 and like it a lot. It's backlit, good for typing although the keys are a bit far apart, has multimedia keys and an LCD display which come with some shitty programs. But there are a few very useful out there that show what's currently playing on Winamp, CPU and Memory Usage and even CoreTemp supports it, showing your system temperatures on the LCD which is very handy while gaming.

The USB is only USB 1.1 afaik and apparently the voltage was too low to allow me to use the X-Box 360 controller for PC so you might be unlucky with your mouse.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Saitek-Eclipse-III-Backlit-Multimedia-Keyboard

That one looks pretty good. I'm using the original Eclipse and it's a pretty nice keyboard. The Eclipse III does everything you want bard USB passthrough (got to go to the next model up for that, the Cyborg, but it's ugle as sin).

I had a look at the Saitek. I'm not sure about it, it looks pretty decent but the lack of USB ports on it is the deal breaker I'm afraid :sad:

I've got a Logitech G15 and like it a lot. It's backlit, good for typing although the keys are a bit far apart, has multimedia keys and an LCD display which come with some shitty programs. But there are a few very useful out there that show what's currently playing on Winamp, CPU and Memory Usage and even CoreTemp supports it, showing your system temperatures on the LCD which is very handy while gaming.

The USB is only USB 1.1 afaik and apparently the voltage was too low to allow me to use the X-Box 360 controller for PC so you might be unlucky with your mouse.

I've been thinkign about going for the G11. The G15 is a bit too much for me, and my local LAN gaming cafe has G11s on all their computers and they're pretty nice. I think next time I'm in there I'll bring my mouse along and see if it works on the keyboard's USB ports :D . I'm guessing maybe it doesn't like you Xbox controller because of the vibration, that probably requires a bit of energy, hopefully a wireless receiver will be require a low enough power to work.

I have a Logitech G15, awesome keyboard, loads of Macro buttons so easy access to certain programs.

And yeh, the USB is only 1.1 on it.

Sign in to follow this