NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Anakenobi

Sony will once again rule the gaming world (even before the PS3 has come out!)

It's pretty much official that Sony is going to win the next console wars even before it even launches it's system. And I speak as a Nintendo fan here.

The reason that I say this is because of these two major factors:

1).- Nintendo with Revolution is going on a different road. This means that it will not even be a rival for the other consoles. Nintendo itself said that the Revolution will be marketed as a companion system for the other consoles. So Sony doesn't have to worry about Nintendo's Revolution (not that they even came close to that).

2).- The Xbox 360 is practically a disaster. Look around, read the news. MicroSoft's system is getting a ton of bad press. And what makes it worse, a lot of the complaints and criticism is coming from buyers who own the machine. They say it's too big and too loud. That it overheats and that it crashes in mid game. And then the games themselves are nothing innovative. Same old stuff with HD graphics. In short, read Matt Casamassina's article on the Xbox 360 (visit cube.ign.com to read it). On top of all that, reuters reported that MS is once again selling their game system waay below what it really costs to make it. So this machine could actually be their last if they don't move fast to fix all this bad press and first impressions. I believe MS reproted that they lost millions and millions on the Xbox and that was ok since it was part of the plan. To build a user base. And I dunno if they can pull that again. Losing money with a system so full of glitches and stuff.

Now, since Nintendo is a non-factor for Sony (not only because Revolution won't directly compete with the PS3, but because MOST casual gamers will NOT play on a Nintendo console, and that's a fact some can't seem to digest) and the Xbox 360 seems to presently be going down in flames, it seems to me that Sony's PS3 has it made.

It really does! Sony has done it again.

I was secretly hoping that this next generation of consoles someone other than Sony would be #1.

Because with Sony the videogame market is going nowhere. Sony is more interested in pushing it's own technology (cd's on the PS1, DVD' on the PS2 and now blue ray on the PS3) than anything else.

They have expanded the gaming market to reach people that shouldn't be playing videogames in the first place. Making it a life style for many a million causal gamers (you seen cribs on MTV? you see every rapper show off their big screen tv with bose speakers, tivo, DVD/CD players AND YES, a PS2. They're not very good at playing the darn machine, but hey it's all part of being in the cool crowd to have a PS2, no?) .

And it affects me in that currenlty game developers cater to that insipid crowd. Making the same games over and over again to please their tastes and wants. Make another killing game? sure why not! Most gamers buy western type games anyway (violence galore) and since the japanese gaming market is on the down side, I expect this trend of more of the same junk coming for the next gaming generation as well. :hmm:

Anyhoo, I only truly desired for a freakin' change. And it seems to me that that change won't come for another 4 or 5 years when the next generation of consoles comes. And by then, who knows if Nintendo will be a software only company.

Sony will once again rule the world! (Empire Strikes Back theme in the background)

Here's hoping the Revolution delivers us from EVIL! (well at least from boredom! :D )

Hmmm...

You forgot to include the "consumer retardness factor".

Seriously, M$ hopes to sell around 3 million consoles in the first 90 days. They haven't lowered that statement yet and why should they? People are dumb enough. If they want one they will get one, no matter what.

We are guilty of this as well, we only lucked out for choosing nintendo. I have yet to have a nintendo console fail on me (except that gameboy I dropped in the bathtub).

Now old on here soldier, The PS2 had the same problems on launch, i had 4 PS2's in the first 2 month of owning one they kept breaking, to be fiar sony done a good job and replacing them, but Microsoft is in the same shoes they will have this problem all sorted out in a month or 2, miles before the PS3 has launched. and you talk about bad press? the PS3 is getting slated everywere, "no major online service" "blue ray disks register to your machine", and Sony have said there NOT changing the controller or Machine...

And 360 games arnt inotive? its bloodey launch? It has the "best launch line of up all time" and its been out 2 weeks? were waiting for Halo 3, Gears of War, Resi 5, Final Fantasy 11.

Think before you make a thread like this...

Caris, you poor soul... you did know that you have the option and liberty of not having to read that which does not pleases you, right?

Because regardless if threads like this give you the hot vapors, violent bowel movements and ulcers, I will do as I please and continue on with such topics.

Now, please understand that I can offer opinions and you can do the same. Especially

on this subject here on this topic.

Anyhoo, on to your comments.... any old playstation user has gone though several versions of PS1 and PS2. We're used to that in a way (I also had to buy several PS1's and more than 1 PS2). And Sony is all to pleased to cater to our needs by making less buggy versions of it's machine so we can upgrade them to infinitum. It never ends.

But those days are over, soldier... these new machines aren't exactly cheap. The Xbox 360 is already selling waaay below production costs. So don't expect that price to go down any time soon. And the PS3 is set to cost at least above the mid 400 pound/dollar price (500 is more like it) per unit.

Those days are waaay over. So the comparison with the PS2 and the Xbox 360 is not a good one. Not anybody has the cash to replace new gen machines like the good old days.

In any case, just take opinions with a grain of salt and don't get the vapors, buddy. Your health is more important. ;)

I thought an analyst joined r-e. Anyway, here's the deal: the market is totally unpredictable. Remember when Sony joined the battle with Playstation? No one was expecting it to be as successful as it was. OK, now XBOX360, sure it has a lot of problems, then again, Sony takes the prize in products with horrible quality, specially with PS2. Another thing about 360, the public perception has about XBOX has been changing in the past few months, people think it was a sucess and that it beat the crap out of GC. Microsoft has used lots of trojan tatics and XBOX is everywhere in USA: movies, sports, books,... Also, 360 has more support and a lot of time on its own to gain some ground. About losing money with each console, Sony does this too.

And you're taking the "not competing" subject the wrong way. Sure, Nintendo might say that, sure, it offers different possibilities, but in the end they're competing for the same wallets. On the other hand, Revolution, like DS also appeals to different audiences. With that, you can say that theoretically Nintendo is appealing to a wider public than Microsoft and PS3. Now let's add that to the bad image PS3 is gaining among the gaming community: high prices, no online, stupid blu ray and boomerang controller. Things are not so linear as you think, but Sony does have the lead as far as image goes, so it's not like they're doomed or anything.

Oh and Caris, it doesn't make a difference if it's been 2 weeks or not after launch, because the launch line up is there from day one :P

Sony will be sittin pretty as usual but not with the iron fist it had this generation. They just better hope Samsung doesnt release a home console ;)

Playstation is the brand name, any one will be it relentless of how much it costs. I totally agree with Anakenobi, but I still think 360 has a fighting chance of winning this war. Nintendo will not be apart of it, so theres no need to go there.

Playstation has a huge fanbase, and as long as it has that, its the winner. It has the games, the developers (The big ones, the small ones have pulled their support) and it will no doubt have the trend games on there.

Face it, Sony has its fans, it will lose some, but not most of them. Its too big the Playstation (Literally and figure of speech), its the must-have for any one who wants the cool factor.

Playstation is the brand name, any one will be it relentless of how much it costs. I totally agree with Anakenobi, but I still think 360 has a fighting chance of winning this war. Nintendo will not be apart of it, so theres no need to go there.

Playstation has a huge fanbase, and as long as it has that, its the winner. It has the games, the developers (The big ones, the small ones have pulled their support) and it will no doubt have the trend games on there.

Face it, Sony has its fans, it will lose some, but not most of them. Its too big the Playstation (Literally and figure of speech), its the must-have for any one who wants the cool factor.

Not that I really want to get involved in an argument here but the same thing was said about Nintendo during the NES and SNES era. Those machines were the in thing and Nintendo was a household name with all major and non-major developers supporting them. Fast forward a 10 years and its all changed partly because of the arrogance on Nintendo behalf which Sony seem now more than ever to be copying.

No-one can predict whats going to happen in the future purely because anything can happen.

Not that I really want to get involved in an argument here but the same thing was said about Nintendo during the NES and SNES era. Those machines were the in thing and Nintendo was a household name with all major and non-major developers supporting them. Fast forward a 10 years and its all changed partly because of the arrogance on Nintendo behalf which Sony seem now more than ever to be copying.

No-one can predict whats going to happen in the future purely because anything can happen.

My thoughts exactly and don't forget that small developers don't have a chance to make games for PS3, because they need a HUGE investment in order to do it.

Bottom line is that Sony has a lot of fans, but that doesn't guarantee them anything.

It´s like everyone except me has a crystal ball that show´s the future except me based on what many people are saying.

Guessing won´t always give right answers every student know´s that :P

What makes you think that Nintendo won't be a part of the next gen console wars? It is a video-game console... is it because its gonna be cheaper and 10.000 times better than X360 and PS3? Or maybe its because Nintendo is thinking new and not the same old crap with better graphics? As long as it is in the videogame stores along with the PS3 and X360 it will be a part of the console wars... Nintendo was the only one that came out of this generation of videogame consoles that made any money on it. I think people are just scared of the awsome power of Nintendo!!! :D

Stupid sony propaganda....

Here are some alternative interpretations for your cognitive pleasure:

1. Only a few days before Microsoft’s 360 launch, Sony says: “Hey, we still make game consoles. Give us our due.†Free publicity is always nice.

2. â€Look, Sony isn’t going anywhere. We are the leaders, and it will stay that way. You want the best games, buy PlayStation.â€

3. â€If you want the best gaming technology, we got you covered for the next decade.â€

4. â€Let’s start a repeat of the insanely successful PS2 hype machine. Why not now?â€

What do you think? Which manufacturer do you feel holds the marketing advantage this time around?

it is going to be a very different generation this time in terms of sales. mircosoft could be well fix all the techo trouble it has. and sony could very well bomb. the games on the revo could just be next to nothing. we will not know till it s over and it just starting so forget about the finish line

correct me if im wrong but didnt Microsoft recently state that they were

3 billion in debt from the Xbox reagrding the Xo5 show

i think with the 360 being what it is the rev has good chance of being 2nd with lots of 3rd parties loving it (japanese ones which 360 doesnt have) and the fact it is a true revolution it will do realy well

And 360 games arnt inotive? its bloodey launch? It has the "best launch line of up all time" ...

You are such a fanboy...it's not even funny. Best launch of all time? Most of the games at launch were ports....The exclusives got pretty bad reviews. Check out IGN. I really don't think you know what you're talking about. I think this is what the original poster meant. Some people are such fanboys that they are blinded when it comes to the shortcomings of microsoft....Have fun paying more money for the same game with slightly better graphics...great fun!!!!!

You are such a fanboy...it's not even funny. Best launch of all time? Most of the games at launch were ports....The exclusives got pretty bad reviews. Check out IGN. I really don't think you know what you're talking about. I think this is what the original poster meant. Some people are such fanboys that they are blinded when it comes to the shortcomings of microsoft....Have fun paying more money for the same game with slightly better graphics...great fun!!!!!

No i do no what im talking about and your right its not funny, its not bloodey ment to be, it is one of the best launchs of all time. Ports? so fuck, COD2,Quake 4 there amazing games?, and exlusives got bad reviews?

PGR3 - 8-10's

Kameo - 8-9's

PDZ - 8-9's

but yea suppose 8 out of 10 is crap really...

and more money for better graphics? yes in a way, but then think of what else your paying for, wireless Pads, Guide Feature, NewXbox Live.

Dont be so narrow minded.

and before anyone says a thing, Microsoft arnt my Fav make, Nintedo are.

Cmon though Caris...

You mention some good points about the new stuff you get with the 360 but is that really worth all the money you are forking out for it? They should just keep making current gen games, update xbox live and release some wireless and slightly better designed pads. Next gen is waaay too soon.

As i have said before ...

It is pretty obvious that the revolution isn't going to totally destroy the playstation no way it has something called an established fanbase.

Nintendo has one as well but there is a game called grand theft auto which no matter what the price is, is going to make people flock like sheep to pick up a playstation for this "killer app".

I have a positive feeling that the 360 is going to be the dreamcast of this generation, nintendo's revolution is going to be a big hit i am sure, the controller has made so many people i know excited, esspecially me since i was going to stop playing computer games.

Nintendo are still going to reap the profits because they are the smartest console manufacturer (look at sega, amiga, atari the list is on going) but i still have a feeling that playstation will be like the 50 cent (mainstream) champion of the casual gamer (just wait for pro 6 and gran turismo ? whatever come out) not everyone can buy more than one console and with playstations price thats going to be even harder.

Can nintendo tarnish the so called kiddy image? will its controller be copied and destroyed? will it even be a failure?

Only time will tell but i know one thing i know for sure it feels good to be a nintendo fan. :grin:

You've forgotten Smash Bros. Melee (the Cube's best-seller) and Pikmin. I agree with what you said though.

SSMBM didn't come out on launch, it came out like a month later.

shouldn't this tread be in the other consoles.

Yes it should. [Moved]

Oh and i find what you say a bag of rubish. Sony wil lose it market share. 360 is an awsome machine. All the games that are out are rushed for launch. And they are all good. The games are only using 1 of the 360s 3cores.

Revolution wil also steal sony market share. Any way you look at it's a game console.

PS3 wil be to expensive for the avrage gamer. And although it wil be good. I cant se PS3 outselling the 360 that will cost half the price.

Sign in to follow this