NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dr.Boo

Paper Mario: RPG or Platformer?

How do I start with what I have to say about this... I liked the first two PM games. I played TTYD first and liked it so much I decided to give PM a try on the VC (it was great too). When I heard about SPM I knew I would be disappointed because it lacked the RPG system so I decided the rent it instead of buying it. I wanted to see if it really would disappoint me or if by any chance, I would like it.

Fact is, it did disappoint me and I didn't enjoy it. As I expected, the lack of RPG killed the game for me. Don't get me wrong, it was supposed to be a platformer and I'm sure it's a great game for it's genre, but I totally preferred the Paper Mario RPG-style. I miss the turn based combat, the badges, the flower points,...

Leveling up in SPM was also not as interesting as in the Paper Mario series, partially because of the lack of badges. This doesn't mean I don't like the Platformer Super Mario games but eh, I like the Paper Mario RPG games slightly better and lets say that I've been keeping an eye on the N-europe homepage for over a year now in the hope to see an article saying "next Paper Mario RPG announced!"

A lot of people are probably gonna shoot me for saying this and are gonna tell me "omg move on, series evolve, get over it" blablabla and again, I'm not saying this game was bad, but I preferred the RPG style. After all, we have enough platformer Mario games at our disposal. I truly, deeply hope they'll go back to the turn-based RPG style of the first two Paper Marios. TTYD was an absolutely amazing game. Almost everyone agrees on that. I hope they'll make another one in that style.

I'm not saying they shouldn't make another SPM-type game, but please, make both styles co-exist, don't replace the RPG style with the Platformer one.

I'm almost sure they're going to make another Paper Mario game and I hope that we'll see another RPG one.

What is your opinion on this? Do you wish for another platformer or another RPG? Or do you hope they'll keep making games for both styles?

By the way, I tried searching the forums to see if there were other threads about this, but I couldn't really find one so I hope making a new thread is ok.

I'm someone who has just entered into the Paper Mario fandom (only bought it recently for the VC. Loving it so far). I haven't played TTYD, or Super Paper Mario.

While I can't say how much SPM differs from the other two, I do know that they were trying another genre altogether (Paper Mario applied to platforming gameplay...I think).

When they do this, it's usually more of a spin-off than an entry in the main series. I don't think Paper Mario will follow the path of the spin-off, honestly (unless SPM received huge positive feedback, or something. And judging from overall reactions, it hasn't). If anything, they would try to follow both, if possible.

That said, there are franchises Nintendo usually ignores for a while (See: Metroid), so I wouldn't rush the next entry. Instead, I would play whatever is available. And in the field of Mario RPGs, you're in luck. Mario&Luigi 3 is coming out this year.

as much as i liked super paper mario, id still prefer Paper Mario 3 (in the classic turned based style).

Super paper mario didnt really feel like a paper mario game. It only looked like it.

Also super paper mario did have a really flat storyline and was pretty short for an paper mario game.

Im secretly hoping that paper mario 3 will be announced at E3 2009. Because the release of super paper mario is 2 years ago.

I much prefer Super Paper Mario to the other ones. Its great fun and is much better as is than as a Turn-Based RPG

But thats just probably because I'm not a fan of turn-based RPGs

Throw Paper Mario and Super Paper Mario into a blender. The platforming and RPG could work well together (there was a bit of platforming in PM, but it could easily still work with a lot more). The only problem would be finding a way to balance the flow of the game.

This serie is one of the awesome ones, with, according to me, Paper Mario: TTYD being the best!

The stories always do it for me, new characters and funny plots at the end of each chapter are a blast. The three games both had great stories and I can't really decide which one is best.

I personally think that this serie kind of rotates with the mario&luigi series. Rotates in a ways that when a new mario&luigi game comes out, next year a new paper mario will come out. Could be in the same year though, but way at the end.

My favourite chapters in the series: Probably the one in TTYD where you'll strand on a deserted island (or is it) with Favio (lol, such a weak captain) and his crew. I also enjoyed the chapter in Super paper mario with Francis. Y'all know what I'm talking about --> HIGH-TECHNICAAAAAAAAAALLL!

Seriously though, the best main villian of the series (and his crew) is definetly COUNT BLECK

SSBB___Count_Bleck_by_WhiteWings.jpg

Super Paper Mario was awful. The first couple of chapters were ok as an introduction, but I was expecting it to push on from there. It only got worse.

I've always meant to play Paper Mario, but never gotten round to it. TTYD was fantastic though. (and I generally am not a fan of turn based RPGs)

I don't think it was necessarily the move away from RPG towards platformer that ruined the game. I think it was just a really uninspired game.

Yeah, Super Paper Mario really wasn't that great compared to the other two. If it'd been a pure platformer, though, with the paper art style, it would have been great. I'd love it if they made that, probably more than I'd love a third Paper Mario RPG, as I don't really know what more they could do to keep it fresh. Besides, we've got Mario and Luigi 3 for our Mario RPG fix this year.

Super Paper Mario was just a spin off from Paper Mario. Though I would like to see more puzzles and platforming in the next RPG paper Mario. I wouldn't mind if they ditched the paper bit altogether and just made a Mario RPG 2.

Wow, I actually didn't expect so many people agreeing with me.

I finished Paper Mario a couple of weeks ago. I had a lot of fun with it and it sucked me right into the game. I decided to give TTYD another go for the 4th time because I wanted to use a totally different badge set up. And guess what... I enjoy this game as much as I did the previous times I played it. I really hope they're gonna announce another Paper Mario RPG style in the future.

I never played Mario RPG and while I would certainly buy and play a new one, I'm kinda used to the paper style so I'd prefer a Paper Mario game.

As Cube indicates, Paper Mario would still work if there was a bit more platforming than in TTYD, but still lots of turn-based as well and still the interesting level ups, badges, flower points, objects and overall, the "strategy" that TTYD and PM had. With strategy I mean not simply running around and bumping on enemies, but having to think what badge combo to use, what your next attack will be, what partner you should use when... you get the picture of what I mean right?

I never played Mario RPG and while I would certainly buy and play a new one, I'm kinda used to the paper style so I'd prefer a Paper Mario game.

Its one of the most fun RPGs of all time. If you like Paper Mario, I would really recommend buying Mario RPG on the VC.

For me the order of best paper mario games goes like this;

Paper Mario TTYD.

Paper Mario.

Super Paper Mario.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door was a game that really introduced me to turn-based games. I always thought the idea of that type of battle system wasn't for me.. and it probably still wouldn't be my preferred style (I would prefer to be completely in control, like in The Legend of Zelda, for instance :heh:) but with the high level of interaction with each battle in Paper Mario it was an absolute pleasure- the game was a real delight :yay: I loved everything : peace:

Super Mario World on the SNES is one of my favourite games ever.. it is amazing! I cleared it many times (all 96 levels, of course :heh:) and always thought about how much I would love to see another 2D Mario platform game like Super Mario World in a Paper Mario style.. when Super Paper Mario was announced I was very excited!

However, I will quote what I said in the Super Paper Mario thread last year..

I have really wanted to like this game, but there are just too many moments in it where I can't understand how they would possibly think it was fun! There is a lot of going back and forth through rooms that look basically the same (which some people may find disorientating.. I have been OK though, thankfully..) seemingly as a way of lengthing the game out a bit..

Don't get me wrong.. I don't hate Super Paper Mario, but it seemed like it could have so much potential with flipping between dimensions and old-school platforming mixed in.. but the game just hasn't excelled in any department. It feels like an unsettling blend of adventure and platform and doesn't really do either particularly well :hmm:

I have Paper Mario for the N64 downloaded for the Virtual Console but I haven't felt the time to be right to start it yet.. but I can't wait to : peace:

Paper Mario in RPG form is definitely better than Super Paper Mario.. certainly when comparing those games. But a Paper Mario platform game done right could eclipse all... :heh:

To be quite honest, I haven't played Super Paper Mario, but I'd certainly like the series to return to the RPG style. Super Paper Mario was just a spin-off and was actually a last-minute GameCube game (just released on the Wii instead).

I'd love a Paper Mario 3, with loads of fantastic origami bosses like in Thousand Year Door. Like a lot of games (F-Zero etc), I'm not sure the Wii could improve it that much, but when it appears it'll be very welcome, whether on Wii or on Wii 2.

Its one of the most fun RPGs of all time. If you like Paper Mario, I would really recommend buying Mario RPG on the VC.

I probably will. I read some old reviews about it and it appears to have received high rates.

I played TTYD first then downloaded Paper Mario months later on VC. The 2 games are almost identical. If youve played one, youve played the other.:blank:

Personally, I couldn't get into Super Mario RPG. I tried, but it just didn't connect with me.

However, Mario&Luigi is an awesome, awesome series. You definately should give it a try, if possible.

I have to say I really took a dislike to Super Paper Mario, it went on for way too long. It wasn't the series I had grown to love and was far to removed from the series. I think the flip mechanic was no where near good enough and just grew tedious.

I only stuck with it because the Nintendo fanboy completest in me couldn't leave an uncompleted Mario game sat on the shelf.

Preaching to the choir Mr Boo. Said this on the very day of playing SPm (and consequently returning it lol). SPM was just weeeeak, honestly, what was its appeal? Could have just turned that style into another franchise.

I too only experienced Paper Mario via VC and was blown away. Such a charming, simple yet deep game... Nintendo at their best. Where they didn't give a fuck about accesibility to n00bs but gave you ample chances to try. Its a real shame SPM wasn't PM3, especially during its release, post summer drought.

Paper Mario > SPM

Paper Mario 2

I like all Paper Mario-games, but if I have to choose between platforming and RPG? That's a no-brainer. RPG all the way!

Still, if we're looking at the bigger picture, they are still in Mario & Luigi's shadow in my humble opinion.

The level design in Super Paper Mario was slightly mundane, and the whole game just felt a bit laborious in comparison to Paper Mario on the N64. I thought the game was okay, and as Cube said merging Super Paper Mario and Paper Mario's concepts could work very well, providing they can keep it as fun as Paper Mario was all the way through, and stick some decent level design in (in the vein of Super Mario Galaxy).

The problem as i saw it was with the RPG to platform balance. The previous Paper Mario games were at heart a proper RPG with platform elements, but when reversed the RPG elements get in the way of the platforming.

Super Paper Mario would've been a much better game by dumping the RPG, and concentrating on a puzzle platformer that the 2D to 3D mechanic really deserves to be.

I much prefer Super Paper Mario to the other ones. Its great fun and is much better as is than as a Turn-Based RPG

But thats just probably because I'm not a fan of turn-based RPGs

Seriously, are you being sarcastic?? Because if you aren't the last sentence sounds really weird coming out of your mouth (or fingers in this case :p)

didn't like super but liked the other ones...

super had far too much chat chat for a game where you just want to run as fast as you can and jump..

Sign in to follow this