NEurope
DCK

Shell: Tripod or Wavebird?

Which setup for the controller shell: N64 Tripod or Wavebird?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which setup for the controller shell: N64 Tripod or Wavebird?

• The tripod works much better than the Cube setup!
    • The Wavebird still owns all, even for the Revolution!

So I was thinking about the Revolution shell. Most of us seem to think like it's going to be a Wavebird that attaches to the remote's socket. Of course the Wavebird is the greatest controller to date (only, after three years, rivaled by the 360 controller) and it does really well for this generation of games.

But I think the Nintendo 64 tripod would be better as the shell design for the Revolution. Why? If you grab the middle part, you can still use the shell with one hand, it'll only be an extension of the remote. The Wavebird forces you to use two hands.

The controller will work exactly like the nunchuck this way, with Z1 and Z2 under the control stick, so you can choose whether to use the nunchuck or the shell. The tripod, with its large D-pad and seperate L-button owns the Cube pad for SNES games as well, and of course would be so much better for N64 games.

Of course, there's no C-stick now, probably one of the biggest reasons why Nintendo went from tripod to the Cube controller, but with the motion sensor, who needs it? I think the tripod would be far better for the Revolution than the Wavebird.

Wavebird, hands down- just turn the c stick into the analogue stick, otherwise its just a... thing.

I think people are only imagining it being like the wavebird because of IGN's mock-up!?

I love the Wavebird and loved the N64 controller at the time!

I think an N64 style controller, with the 'remote' as the centre handle (of the 3 handles) could be really nice, but if it looks just like a wavebird that's fine too!

I think we should call the N64 controller a 'Tri-pad' not a 'Tri-pod';

I really had no idea what you meant by Tripod before I read all your post; I was thinking of a Tripod stand (such as for camreas) to place the controller on!

I want them both... but... as we already have a wavebird whom we can link-up with revolution... I'd prefer a "Three-legged pad" revisited, as there's no way to link the N64 controller to Revo and the original joystick had the tendency to wear out, turning it less responsive, that doesn't happen with this generation joysticks so... N64 remake, I say.

The Tripod was ok at it's time but recently I used it again and got the impression it was a bit unbalanced because you had one hand in the middle and one to the side. Therefore I hope it's kind of wavebird but your point

If you grab the middle part, you can still use the shell with one hand

has something too I must admit.

Before they revealed the 'revmote' i thought they were going to just go back to the N64 controller with gyroscopic functionality built in.

It comes down to how far nintendo are prepared to milk periphirals. we could easily see separate shells, for each pad from Snes up, as each controller had unique properties that dont traslate as well to the others, but also this depends on how true to each experince nintendo is trying to be.

But well probably just end up with another unique controller for rev, that can be used for all past gens.

Id like it to be 'tripad' shaped tho, with a custom button layout (but similar to 64).

I dunno tho there are pros and cons for both wavebird and trident designs, I am eager to see what nintendo come up with tho.

It should be like the Wavebird so you can sill play ports the same as if they were on the other consoles.

I also don't think the wavebird's that great, it's lack of rumble puts me off it,I use a normal controller now.

I like both ways but Ive never played so well in videogames like i did with the N64 controller, People bluntly refused to play me in Duke Nukem 64 lol

I loved the N64 controller, i thought it worked so well so any idea even to do with the N64s controller in a next-gen control method then its worth a test, if not then the other controls are there to be used.