NEurope
Dante

Aliens vs. Predator

Nooo noo, read what I wrote about it, his fandomness is blinding him!:wink: it's a really sloppyily made demo. Do not judge the final product from this crap.

Aliens: Colonial Marines on the other hand will (hopefully) be the ultimate alien experience when that comes out next year.

To my own admission I am blinded by my love of the franchise :) I totally agree that it's not good to judge the game based on the demo. A one map death match, a very cramped map at that. Team deathmatch would've made a better example and you are thrown into the deep end with no idea really what's what. Death match isn't really a mode i'll be playing in the final game I prefer species on species. A lot of times i've noticed people making they're own rules and not attacking their own, makes it so much better. So yeh, for the casual player probably best wait for the reviews and final game.

Yeah I felt bad attacking my own kind, especially when I was an alien; I just wanted to team up with my own species!

Although I did find the demo a bit wank, I watched a few videos of the campaign and it looks fantabulous, so my expectations are sort of hovering in the middle.

Deathmatch really was a poor choice for game mode in the demo. However, it was very fun, and pretty scary when playing as a Marine - your motion sensor really does make you panic like crazy, as does knowing that, whilst incredibly powerful to the front, you're horrifically vulnerable from behind. The Predator was a good laugh to play as - ambushing marines by standing in an open area whilst cloaked and waiting for a hapless marine to wonder by is pretty funny. I haven't played as an Alien yet, but I fear Deathmatch will be horrifically unfair on them - they work best as a team.

I might just get this when it comes out, it's fun!

Played it, as with the old ones, the Predator is just way too good when compared to the others and the Marine is way too bad.

I love it. I'm surprisingly better with the Marine than the others, I won the match like five times in a row with him. Aliens is weird at first but then you get used to the controls and it's pretty cool but everyone knows Predator is the Daddy!

To be honest, the Predator is only as good as the person playing (obviously that applies to every species). I've kicked a lot of Predators asses. Melee, headshot, dead. The clever players always get me from the shadows though, damn cloak.

It might just be my play style, but I think the Predator is the weakest of the species, in theory, anyway. In practice, the Marine is (at least for me), as the music and the motion sensor make me so edgy I don't think tactically, I just panic and fire. If I get my nerves in order, I can dominate a match with easy. However, remaining panic-free is a tall order - I would go as far to say I actually get scared when playing as a Marine. :hmm:

The Alien is where it's at, though, for me at least. The stealthiness, the speed, the ability to attack from unlikely angles... Nothing seems to infuriate a match-dominating predator than getting ambushed by me, only to watch me hit them once or twice and run away and attack from another angle if I can't get a grab kill in. It also works on Marines, but they're usually dead by the time you get back to them. Judging by the swearing aimed at me over the mics in the post-game lobby, I'd wager I'm using the Alien effectively. I don't win many games as a Xenomorph, but it's fun none the less. If I get the full version, I look forward to playing peeps on here in the Swarm mode especially - the one Alien vs 7 Marines one, where each kill by the Alien turns the victim into another Alien...

Edited by The fish

Is this demo multiplayer only?

Yes, but I'm sure they'll release an single player one at some point.

Played it, as with the old ones, the Predator is just way too good when compared to the others and the Marine is way too bad.

I actually managed to win a match as the marine and I do quite well from time to time, it's just all about getting used to each speicies unique traits.

After having a few matches of this, I does seem really promising. I really like how each speices feels completely different to the other; as Alien it's like a hunt, Predator feels more like stealth, as the Marine it's a horror game. It's the first time since The Hidden (a Half-Life 2 multiplayer mod) that I've felt a multiplayer game as tense. The combat is a bit wierd to get used to, but I guess that's just the learning curve.

However, there's still so many stones left unturned. Only one map and one gameplay mode in the demo? Even if it's fun, it does get repetitive quickly and isn't a good demonstration of that it could be. Still, it does seem like it'll be good, I might just have to get this.

The marine can be fairly strong. I've won a few games as him. I just tend to pay no attention to the motion tracker as it doesn't seem to work well.

I have to be honest, I really want this BUT there is so many other games...think this would be more of a day one purchase due to the multiplayer and the numbers will drop off significantly after release.

There's an updated version of the PS3 demo available on the Store should anyone be interested. It fixes the matchmaking problems, allows you to browse games manually and includes some bonus control configurations for good measure.

Still playing this demo. Only one map but still enjoying running around as a Predator and stabbing people in the back.

I love playing as the Alien. It's tricky as hell sneaking up on someone, because you never fare well in a straight fight, but clambering along the ceiling and scuttling down the wall until your suspended inches from the top of some unsuspecting marine's quivering skull is positively orgasmic.

Got this today, started the Marine campaign, only played for half an hour so far but it seems a bit meh. It also has R2 to shoot, with no option to change. Which pissed me off straight away.

But I bought this mainly for the Multiplayer, however, I've just moved house so no internet until next Friday...bah...

Do you know the worst part, MAT? There's a day-one patch available that introduces some more control schemes — including one which switches the shoulder buttons around — you just can't download it.

Ahhhh, why can't Sky just activate my internetz immediately like they did with my TV and Phone?

I know it may seem nit-picking, but not using R1 to fire (and L1 to aim in games that have ADS) just doesn't feel right to me. It feels like the developers have thought 'the 360 uses RT to fire, so lets just use the equivelant PS3 button'. It smacks of lazyness.

About half way through the Marine campaign now, and I'm enjoying it more now I've got the hang of the block and counter manouver. Although the levels just seem to be a case of 'activate the lift, kill the wave of xenomorphs until lift door opens, rinse and repeat' Very little in the way of set-pieces or interesting level design.

It seems like all I've done is moan today, so I'll be a bit more positive.

The music and sound are fantastic, really set the atmosphere. I'm playing in the dark and the little clicks and noises, coupled with the bleep of the motion tracker, really put the shits up you. I know some reviews have slated the graphics, but I honestly can't fault them, the detail on the xenomorphs is especially good.

I just really want to have a go at Multiplayer......

I know it may seem nit-picking, but not using R1 to fire (and L1 to aim in games that have ADS) just doesn't feel right to me. It feels like the developers have thought 'the 360 uses RT to fire, so lets just use the equivelant PS3 button'. It smacks of lazyness.

I believe the rationale was that they wanted to keep parity between the three races when it came to melee buttons, and if you don't have a set of RealTriggers using the *2 buttons for said attacks would be a pain due to their sponginess.

Completely loving the demo, and getting the game early tomorrow.

Here is my opinion on it anyway:

Matchmaking takes ages, and I know they're gonna fix it for the full game (at least I hope so). But when a match gets going. It's amazing. Unless the host quits!

Alien

By far my favourite, always loved aliens. The controls took a while to get used to but when you do, OH MY GOD, it's orgasmic. Jumping from walls to ceilings, tailing predators on the head, lunging at unsuspecting marines. At the start I was pretty shit and the climbing got very confusing. Changing the options, auto-transition and centre camera did help a lot. After a good bit of practicing and a little internet research and now I am great. Won many 8 player matches and nearly won almost twice as many.

Predator

Very good in the right hands, needs strategy to kill with the alien. I tried it for a while but alien keeps luring me back. Predator is very good, and powerful, but it also needs a good bit of practice. Weapons are difficult to use at the start, but predator-loving friends are very good with them, even if I'm not.

Marine

Like playing in a horror movie, very scary. Everything is so dark, especially if the aliens brake the lights. The motion tracker is useful and further elevates the tension. A bit weak on the health. Very fun to kill as an alien.

I feel the game is pretty balanced but the balancing doesn't make sense at times. Alien's heavy attack is the slowest when he is on the ground, but lightning fast when on walls. This means that when fighting predators you always have to stick to walls or ceilings to get the advantage. People keep calling it a bug but I think it's a deliberate balancing mechanic.

Map

Cosy and small. Corridors are good alien territory while predators and marines enjoy huddling in the bigger rooms. I like the level, it's easy enough to get used to and has many different indoor elements. Can't wait for the other maps but I feel this is the best alien map, as the vast jungle worlds will make the predator cannon a breeze to use on unsuspecting victims.

I am literally addicted to this demo, not a big fan of the big FPS's like MW2, but I do really like this. The three different characters have very different strategies and feels. Quite enjoy it.

Stealth kills and trophy kills are amazing too. Can't wait for tomorrow, hoping to play against a few of the people here.

Well you've certainly seen something in the game i'm missing, I wish I could share your level of enthusiasm.

My friend and I bought the game together in the hope to have some very fun co-op games, but alas, my PS3 won't connect to his or his to mine, we can play anyone else, but each other, if we both decide on someone else's game to join, the we can't talk to each other. Really annoying, it's like we're cursed.

Ranked matches are fucking annoying, you must do quick match, it takes ages. And then when you do get to to play, the host quits. And after every match, instead of keeping the people for another game, it just puts everyone back on the main menu. Fucking retarded. I finally get a match done and level up, and I get a skin for a marine, while playing as alien. They better fix these problems or I'll be one unhappy camper. I was having more fun with the demo than this.

I'm playing through the marine campaign and it was great fun at the beginning, atmospheric and well paced but now i'm outside with the temples and it kinda sucks.

My friend and I bought the game together in the hope to have some very fun co-op games, but alas, my PS3 won't connect to his or his to mine, we can play anyone else, but each other, if we both decide on someone else's game to join, the we can't talk to each other. Really annoying, it's like we're cursed.

Think thats got somethin to do with your router settings or sumthin, mine used to do that with my mate, found out he was strict and i was moderate, wudnt let us do shit, got it sorted though :)

Think thats got somethin to do with your router settings or sumthin, mine used to do that with my mate, found out he was strict and i was moderate, wudnt let us do shit, got it sorted though :)

How do you sort it out?

Edit: Nevermind, it seems to be working well now anyway.

Edited by Diageo