NEurope
Dante

Aliens vs. Predator

SEGA of America Inc., SEGA Europe Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Licensing & Merchandising (Fox L&M) today reveals exciting new details of their increasing portfolio of upcoming games based on Twentieth Century Fox’s Aliens universe.

SEGA will publish an all-new Aliens vs. Predator (working title) game in early 2010. The game is currently in development with independent developer Rebellion, creators of the original 1999 Aliens versus Predator; a legendary title that went on to define an entire generation of multiplayer gaming.

With the opportunity to publish what promises to be a landmark game, SEGA has strategically updated the release of the other upcoming Aliens titles currently in development within its portfolio.

“The innovative new AvP game presents an exciting opportunity for us,” says CEO of SEGA West, Naoya Tsurumi, “It represents a fantastic addition to our growing Aliens franchise and the reinvention of one of gaming’s most cherished iconic titles. By adjusting the release of our other Aliens titles to accommodate it, SEGA will ensure that every title lives up to the high expectations of Aliens and AvP fans.”

“SEGA continues to create masterful games based on our Aliens franchise and this new addition is sure to continue their successful track record,” said Gary Rosenfeld, Senior Vice President, New Media for Fox L&M.

SEGA will announce further details of the new Aliens vs. Predator very soon.

sega.co.uk

Sweet, hopefully it'll be more like the original that was on the Atari Jaguar etc but obviously updated with a load of modern shizzle to keep everyone happy.

Does this have anything to do with the Gearbox title?

Nope.

• Aliens FPS - Gearbox
  • Aliens RPG - Obsidian
  • New AvP - Rebellion

Off topic but... where the hell has Aliens: Colonial Marines got to?!

Colonial Marines is always just destined for failure. It's happened once when it was announced for PS2. It'll happen again. The stupid thing is it'd be crazy popular. How many games have been influenced by Aliens for god sake. Halo for one. SEGA are a pretty dumb company though so they'll probably can it in favour of another worthless Sonic game.

Off topic but... where the hell has Aliens: Colonial Marines got to?!

I was reading Gamecentral this morning and they say it has been delayed til next year.

They should just make an Aliens game in the same vein as Left4Dead.

I'd buy that in a skull exploding second.

Yes! I hope it has that director AI type thing.

Plus I like the horde in L4D so I hope there are as many Aliens...although with acidic blood that might be a problem...We'll just ignore that massive detail.

I recall the 1999 one was great atmopshere and graphics wise. But had big gameplay issues. Was really hard etc.

Will keep an eye on this. This is the only way the franchise makes sense :p

I've played AvP2 on the PC, and it was awesome. That first mission as a Marine, where you go into the hive to rescue someone, only to see them die (through chest-burstingtisation) and then you make a dash for freedom. Probably my most heart-racing gaming moment. Running, and not knowing if the aliens are close behind you or not. There are points where you can close the doors behind you, to make the escape a lot easier, so I closed those, but then the aliens were coming, the doors weren't fast enough, so I had to make a run for it anyway.

Fucking hell. Brilliant opening level.

Only thing I don't like about the games is that the Aliens really do just try to kill you. If this were the movies, then the Aliens would actually try to capture you and take you back to the hive. If that happened, then that would be more terrifying then simply having an alien slash you or headbite you to death.

that would make one hell of a game over screen!

would make an amazing multiplayer thing too: one player gets captured and the others have to bust him out the hive, Newt style.

that would make one hell of a game over screen!

would make an amazing multiplayer thing too: one player gets captured and the others have to bust him out the hive, Newt style.

Exactly, that's the sort of game we should be having. To my recollection, none of the characters in Aliens were directly killed by the Aliens. Apone and Dietrich were kept alive for implantation, even though this was not actually seen, but hinted at by Ripley and Hudson. "Their signs are low, but they ain't dead."

Hudson himself was captured. You see Burke face an Alien, but there's actually a written scene that is meant to show Ripley find him in the Hive when she's rescuing Newt. It was cut, but I don't think we can safely say that the Alien killed Burke, since you don't see it.

Actually, you see Farrow face an Alien in the dropship/apc type thing, before it crashes, but I still say the crash killed her and not the Alien. :heh:

na she definitely dies. Blood sprays everywhere!

you're right though- they generally don't kill outright. At least not everyone. I think they kill over being killed, but anyone who's helpless = egg room.

Actually, you see Farrow face an Alien in the dropship/apc type thing, before it crashes, but I still say the crash killed her and not the Alien. :heh:

You seem to forget the part where the alien peels back its lips and we see the inside of the wind shield repainted in Hint of Brain!

I've only played AvP2 — developed by Monolith, the FEAR/NOLF guys — but apparently the first PC Aliens Versus Predator — Rebellion, the team making this — was even more tense as there were no fixed placements for the xenomorphs, they'd just pop out at random. In fact the Skirmish mode was something of a precursor to Left4Dead, which is something you can read about here. Anyway, the point is that I hope there's a return to this random element in at least one of the upcoming comes. AvP2 was very tense — especially as you don't see an actual alien for ages, the game just messes with you — but not knowing when something's going to jump out at you, even when restarting a checkpoint, would really amp things up.

Pfft, is blood your argument?! There's tons of it when Brett dies in the first film. It covers Parker's face. Yet, the director's cut shows him being...transformed, and cocooned. :heh:

So, part of me thinks she isn't quite...dead, just yet anyway. I'd like to think of the crash killing my dear Farrow, and not a slimy xenomorph. :(

Surely those screens aren't from actual gameplay. If that's the case it looks amazing. The fact that i'll finally be able to play as a Colonial Marine in a next gen game is already worth the price of admission. Let's face it, pretty much every future based game that features an army is pretty much a rip off of Aliens. Halo franchise anyone? The drop ships are even the same!