NEurope
Nicktendo

Should I download the homebrew channel?

Bit of a thread hijack!

So with this homebrew channel, is there a way to continue to use your wii/update it, yet also still manage to use the shop channel without peril, but manage to boot foreign discs at the same time? I've got a PAL wii, and an NTSC ssbb, but I'm feeling a bit sentimental about it and all my stats and replays, and trying to figure out if there's any way I can manage to update my wii and things without losing my capability to play the game(which I'm currently doing through a freeloader) nor my ability to play my wii(through it being bricked). Dunno why they didn't just make it a transferrable save. Nor why they made it different for different regions grrr.

Currently what I do just now is stay on 3.3, then if I want to use a Shop/Nintendo Channel, I upgrade, do what I want then go back to 3.3.

Currently what I do just now is stay on 3.3, then if I want to use a Shop/Nintendo Channel, I upgrade, do what I want then go back to 3.3.

There really isn't any need. I'm running the latest software (3.4?) and the HBC works fine with it.

Yeah but it's the auto-updates I don't want and also my Brawl doesn't work via HBC on 3.4.

Im looking for ways to play import games on my PAL Wii actually. There's some gems i REALLY need to play. Im heading to Asia in a few months and Im planning on getting Tatsunoko vs Capcom and Taiko Drum Master Wii.

Anyone know if the HBC is easy to implement? I do have a Zelda:TP disc here, but i havent finished it yet. I believe I have put a separate hacked save file on the Wii right? Any helpful tips?

Well in the end I opted not to go homebrew. Instead I got a UK wii with 2 wiimotes and nunchucks giving me a total of 4 each! :). Got Mario Kart and Wii Play with it all for a fairly decent price. Gonna go out on Monday and buy House of the Dead, Wii Music and WarioLand: Shake it. Thanks for all your advice but I just figured risking my VC games just wasnt worth it and US machines are pretty tricky to get a hold of at the moment.

I have HBC running nicely on my Japanese wii. It means I can play UK games without any fuss at all. It doesn't affect me in any other way - I can still go on the shop chanel etc, but I can also play games in English. Nintendo Japan aren't really into English-language options "this is a Japanese system for Japanese people..."

I recommend the HBC.

Yeah but it's the auto-updates I don't want and also my Brawl doesn't work via HBC on 3.4.

Gecko OS and HBC itself would work even on v3.4 - only Rebooter (part of Gecko OS but not required for region-free play and it only starts manually, so Gecko OS still works) doesn't work (at least not yet).

However, if it is just the Shop Channel or Mii Channel you want: There is an installer that will just install that and works even under v3.2. Some of those even have an option that even FreeLoader would continue to work (though of course it isn't necessary with the HBC).

I know it works on 3.4, it's just Brawl that doesn't work because I don't have a picture of it, only sound. I think it's because I need component cables or something.