NEurope
Pookiablo

Weightlifting - your tips and techniques

So as some of you will know, I'm quite into my weightlifting. I've been doing it for over 2 & 1/2 years now and I still get as much enjoyment from it today as I did when I was only able to lift a measy 10kg before entering a massive sweat.

Who here hits the gym frequently, or perhaps like me, has some equipment at home and enjoys working the guns, or toning that tum of theirs? Is there any particular type of equipment you swear by for a particular exercise or a certain technique that works (a part of) your body in a very good way?

If you don't enjoy weightlifting or exercise in general, why is this so? If you had ideal conditions/settings (be it going with a friend where possible, not having to travel very far, etc.) would you feel more inclined to do so? Perhaps you know another activity that you think is more superior to your fitness needs that you could share with your beloved n-europe followers?

Also, I wanna know your tips and techniques for exercising! What works for you! Do you have a particular routine that might benefit others?

So yeah, step up on that soapbox people and start flexing those pecs or flashing those trim bodies! You know you wanna please the Pookster!

If you want to build muscle mass do few reps on high weight, with breaks.

If its just mild toning do med weight, with more reps and then rest.

I've started going to the gym over the last few weeks inbetween uni and I'm getting really into it. Always go with a friend so we can encourage each other etc. I tend to start working the main leg muscles and then gradually move up the body.

Planning on getting some dumbbells so I can do a bit at home too when I don't have time to get to the gym.

My tips on weighlifting don't bother....although I would say that I am still suffering from shoulder pains since I tore the muscle across my collar bone months ago...although physio should be sorting that out soon.

It takes me an hour to walk to work, so that twice a day is enough exercise for me. Although doesn't help with stomach toning.

I was only able to lift a measy 10kg before entering a massive sweat.

Yesh.

I generally don't work out. I do however do enough work in chores to keep me as I already am. Taking care of horses is harder work than one might think.

I go to the gym a couple of times a week with a few mates. It's awesome - waking up the next morning and stretching off the tightness is wicked :p Gonna get myself some home equipment soon too.

Dunno where to start on that one actually. Obviously I'll get myself a couple of dumbbells, but what else is good for home stuff?

Yesh.

I generally don't work out. I do however do enough work in chores to keep me as I already am. Taking care of horses is harder work than one might think.

My original comment was something of an exaggeration by the way - I was incredibly skinny but I wasn't really that pathetic!

A year and a half ago year I started weightlifting, one thing I loved about it was how quickly I saw results just from putting in some hard work and sticking to a 3-day-a-week regime for about an hour each time, set number of reps, working on set areas. I actually really enjoyed it. Unfortunately then I moved to a new flat, it's not impossible here but it is awkward, and with Uni as well, I think I used the awkwardness as an excuse to stop doing it. Over the last week or so I've been planning to start again, now that I have much fewer classes, but then I got some serious shoulder pain, and then a cold... then back to shoulder pain. If the pain is gone by the morning, the plan is to start up again then :D

my regime was:

Monday- 3-4 Chest Exercises, 3x tricep exercises

Weds- Back and Biceps

Fri- Legs and shoulders

each excercise was done as 2x15 reps initially for conditioning, then upping the weight and 3x8 reps for hypertrophy. It worked really well, but if I start again I think I'll have to go back down to lower weights :/

Ron Burgundy: 1001, 1002, 1003.

Veronica Corningstone: Uh, Mr. Burgundy? Helen said that you needed to see me.

Ron Burgundy: Oh, Miss Corningstone. I wasn't expecting company. Just doing my workout. Tuesday's arms and back.

Veronica Corningstone: Well, you asked me to come by, sir.

Ron Burgundy: Oh, did I?

Veronica Corningstone: Yes.

Ron Burgundy: Ohh, it's the deep burn. Oh, it's so deep. Oh, I can barely lift my right arm 'cause I did so many. I don't know if you heard me counting. I did over a thousand.

My original comment was something of an exaggeration by the way - I was incredibly skinny but I wasn't really that pathetic!

Good gravy I'd hoped you weren't quite that bad. Nice to have confirmation.

i really need to start on this sort of thing again, working full time has put a halt to most of it and i am rapidly losing shape, faster than i though possible! Wyhen i first started work i was fine, kept the same routine and when i had less tiome i bought some protein which worked great and i got better even doing less work.... recently i have worked extensive hours and when i dont work i eithe reat crap food or drink... its only been since before xmas its amazing how u can deteriorate. What i would reccomend though it getting some protein shake, the stuff really does help, even if your only drinking a small amount, along with push ups and dumb-bell presses, thats all i ever did and i had a decent shape. Full time jobs with forced over time are the enemy!