NEurope
Daft

THERE DEFINITELY IS A GOD

People seem to forget that respect is something that needs to be earned. Religion often slips through that net. I, for one, can't see why I should respect obvious fallacies. If you tell me that you think the Earth is flat (and especially if you proceed to tell me that not agreeing that it is will results in eternal damnation), then, if I feel so inclined, I wont say "ok, cool", I'll tell you to grow up. If you tell me that you talk to an invisible friend and he/she/it tells you how to go about your life, again, if I feel so inclined, I'll tell you to grow up.

Before anyone jumps on the "OMG you evil, disrespectful little shit" wagon (odd name, I know...), I ask you to bear in mind that, if you don't say something ridiculously stupid, or let these ideas of yours make you try and damage the quality of life of myself and those around me (such as deciding who has the right to marry, not letting people use contraceptives, or the all-talk-no-action "bringing Sharia law to Britain"), then I really don't care what you believe. Stay out of my life, and I'll stay out of yours.

Oh, and as I'm often involved in starting the infamous "religion threads", unless someone says something monumentally stupid, I'm staying away from this thread.

I didn't say you had to have any respect for the person in general. Just respect the fact that people can think something other than what you think.

You seem to be concentrating so much on hate, you're missing the bigger picture. What's the point in going around hating someone for something that doesn't even effect you? It just spreads more hate and makes the world a worse place to live in for everyone.

You can certainly use scientific method to theorise on such things.

But whatever you say scientifically, due to the very nature of having faith, you're never going to be able to have an absolute answer. Surely?

oh BLAH!

i'd resent having that shoved in my face as much as i resented having to queue in argos and listen to some song about jesus taking the wheel.

then again i AM considering going to church on sunday mornings on the way to jamba's house for the free tea and biscuits and the kareoke....

and the irony of what i'll be about to do at jamba's house *heeeeeh*

oooohhhh yeah.

By all means, please continue. I'll be watching this thread with excitement. ;)

o______________o

I wish I believed in God/ God were real, and just show himself to everyone, therefore making life and my anxiety about death easier.

But whatever you say scientifically, due to the very nature of having faith, you're never going to be able to have an absolute answer. Surely?

Same with anything you turn scientific method to - and that's one of the best things about science. You never go "Well, that's everything there is to know about molecules, we know everything about them for certain and we have an absolute answer as to what they are. Let's stop researching them and move onto the next subject." You have molecular theory, which is the best, testable theory about the little things which probably make up everything. But that doesn't mean molecular theory is an absolute fact, that it won't be amended or even completely discounted in future.

Conversely, you have the opposite end of the spectrum which is "Wow, don't know how that works. God must have done it. Case closed."

I wish I believed in God/ God were real, and just show himself to everyone, therefore making life and my anxiety about death easier.

Oh man up you!

Oh man up you!

I'm not particularly scared of anything else. Or no other "irrational"-esque fears.

I just go into states of internal panic thinking about my non-existance. Not actually dying, just afterwards. Since I'm gonna grow wings and just live on somewhere else.

actualy, not beliveing in god makes me much less scared of death, i mean, litteraly, i belive it just ends so why fear somthing you will not conshiously be aware of?

dying, yeah, scary as fuck, but death, peice of piss.

Im Deist.

Im not sure about what he/it/they are but , to me, there is or was something powerful or advanced which started something off.

I'm not particularly scared of anything else. Or no other "irrational"-esque fears.

I just go into states of internal panic thinking about my non-existance. Not actually dying, just afterwards. Since I'm gonna grow wings and just live on somewhere else.

It's an interesting thing to think of, something which I'm sure we all think of from time to time but I think it's not really something worth worrying about or pondering too much time over - the point is we're not meant know (well that's how it seems at least) and we most probably never ever will do.

I just hope I act as a good compost for the earth when I get put in the ground. Indirectly helping an apple tree grow would be quite cool.

It's an interesting thing to think of, something which I'm sure we all think of from time to time but I think it's not really something worth worrying about or pondering too much time over - the point is we're not meant know (well that's how it seems at least) and we most probably never ever will do.

Yeah, but my mind does want to know. And the fact there's no plausible answer is rather disturbing.

Why even put a 'probably'?

It just makes the statement limp. I always thought that was silly.

It can't be proven one or way or another, the whole point of making it "limp" is to render the argument hilariously pointless, which god is - a pointless argument, and not an explanation for ANYTHING

God is a DJ.

And he plays shit music.

Life is a dancefloor, I'll give P!nk that.

The poster in making a blatantly unprovable statement, but that's not what I take direct issue with. I take issue with "So Join The Christian Party, And Enjoy Life." apparently if you're not a Christian you can't enjoy life? That's just plain dumb.

I can't stand these posters; both the atheist ones aswell as the new christian ones. They're clearly been designed and funded for to aggravate the opposing arguers, with no other function.

How come in this day and age, we can't just learn to live with two conflicting opinions and not caring about what another person believes, or doesn't believe?

There is no reason why either belief system should warrant advertising, people have already made their choices.

The idea that a God created everything is just a boring concept to me, it simply answers everything. We were created by a superior being, we all get eternal life, there's nothing interesting about it. It would be nice and all, not worrying about death, but living forever is an equally terrifying prospect.

I am more inclined to believe that we've just been very, very lucky. The Universe popped out, swirled around some gases for a while, Earth was made, life evolved, we realise we die and that we live in a dangerous, unforgiving Universe. There's more conflict, everything to discover. There is no one answer that will tell us all we need to know. It's much more interesting, and it's fleeting, it gives us an impetus to get off our arses and do something, if we all lived forever why not put it off until tomorrow?

The poster in making a blatantly unprovable statement, but that's not what I take direct issue with. I take issue with "So Join The Christian Party, And Enjoy Life." apparently if you're not a Christian you can't enjoy life? That's just plain dumb.

The Christian Party is also a completely different animal to Christians in general. It's led by this utter pillock

revgeorge031006_228x289.jpg

If you recognise the face it's because he's constantly whoring himself to the media and news channels as self appointed spokesman and rent-a-quote for the whole of Christianity and blaming anything and everything on weed, video games, atheism, liberals, Barack Obama, the European Union and particularly the gays. The last one being particularly ironic as he's made a fortune from writing gay anthems like "So Macho" You might have also seen him being a pillock on TVs "Make me a Christian."

The Christian Party is also a completely different animal to Christians in general. It's led by this utter pillock

revgeorge031006_228x289.jpg

He also did a sketch on current tv. I think his royalties from the use of his so macho album goes towards funding his party. Although it is fair to say had the gay community not taken a liking to his song such funding would not be possible.

Furthermore I can't see this thread going anywhere beyond ones like this before. Nowhere.

Now lets just take a chill pill guys before someone gets caught in the crossfire.

Well its here if you want to have a gander. But don't let me be a part of throwing fuel on the fire.

Jump to 3.48

I said I wouldn't be back, but this is going to be a one off special. In that Grauniad article, I noticed this:

"The Trinitarian Bible Society has taken a less temperate approach, using a line from the bible to scold nonbelievers: "The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God,""

That reminded me of this lil' video:

Oh, and calling more than one in every 3 people who see the buses a "fool" isn't going to make people want to listen to you.

I like to think of it like this, I´ll know when I die and in the meantime I have enough time to worry about something substantial to what´s happening now.

Or: "We all live to die dude"

By all means, please continue. I'll be watching this thread with excitement. ;)

I'm sorry, I read that as excrement.

There is no reason why either belief system should warrant advertising, people have already made their choices.

The idea that a God created everything is just a boring concept to me, it simply answers everything. We were created by a superior being, we all get eternal life, there's nothing interesting about it. It would be nice and all, not worrying about death, but living forever is an equally terrifying prospect.

I am more inclined to believe that we've just been very, very lucky. The Universe popped out, swirled around some gases for a while, Earth was made, life evolved, we realise we die and that we live in a dangerous, unforgiving Universe. There's more conflict, everything to discover. There is no one answer that will tell us all we need to know. It's much more interesting, and it's fleeting, it gives us an impetus to get off our arses and do something, if we all lived forever why not put it off until tomorrow?

What do you think a Christian would say about the eye burrowing worms Attenborough mentioned in that link earlier?

I mean when I've asked about diseases such as cancer, I've been told that man made them, not God. I don't know if this is true or not.

And the dinosaurs. Someone told me the Bible mentions "large beasts" which could be interpreted as the dinosaurs. But my most recent explanation I heard is that God put the fossils there to test our faith... Anyone?