NEurope
Wesley

Indie Games

^ Ah, it mentions Coma on that list. Played that yesterday after reading about it on Kotaku. Actually really good for a flash game and certainly an interesting concept, even if it takes slight cues from other games. It's not particularly long but definitely worth a go.

Another batch of indie and free goodies:

Enough Plumbers

Mario rip off where everytime you pick up a coin a new plumber spawns with you using the same controls for every plumber. Stick with it and the puzzles get fiendishly good!

http://notdoppler.com/enoughplumbers.php

Run Jesus Run:

great little 10 second game that works so well in depicting what it wants to in a quick fun humorous videogame style.

http://www.molleindustria.org/runjesusrun/run_jesus_run.html

tweet trumps

Game of top trumps that uses you twitter profile to build up a deck of cards.

http://tweettrumps.com/

Air Pressure

Sort of a visual novel type thing. Few different endings differently worth playing through if you ask me.

http://bentosmile.com/2010/03/01/new-game-air-pressure/

EDIT

One late addition.

Take a Walk

A joyful (well at least well...argh go play it) little game, that I just love!

Edited by flameboy

VVVVVV yes thats the name.

Rock hard game that had me addicted for a good two hours and why im posting this at this crazy hour.

Available on steam for 3.99. Worth it I say.

I think I might be starting to feel inspired to get back to work on a (currently nameless) 2D Shooter that darksnowman and I started work on earlier this year :smile:

I kinda lost the desire in the last few months with everything but I think I'll get a pad out tonight and start sketching again and plan out a few things. If I (or we) can get it in some sort of shape in the next few weeks, I'll maybe post a few early screenshots to see if any of you are feeling it..

Yeah me too, I try to keep learning Java, but I always end up forgetting about it and then pick it up later again, while having to go over some of the previous stuff again. Last time I finally got into graphical programming, I had a little test 2D platform thingy, which worked.. Mostly ;). I have to get back to it next week or so, and try to create some working platform game experiment.

For anyone interested, years ago I made something for school on the now obsolete Shockwave platform:

[bug hunter]

I think I might be starting to feel inspired to get back to work on a (currently nameless) 2D Shooter that darksnowman and I started work on earlier this year :smile:

I kinda lost the desire in the last few months with everything but I think I'll get a pad out tonight and start sketching again and plan out a few things. If I (or we) can get it in some sort of shape in the next few weeks, I'll maybe post a few early screenshots to see if any of you are feeling it..

what happened to that game i played?! it was a 2d shooter

what happened to that game i played?! It was a 2d shooter

That's quite a while ago now :eek:

You played Starfox 2D which I made in my second year at University using Game Maker..

I had moved onto XNA by final year and made another simple 2D Shooter in a few weeks called Combo and the Rain, a 2D RPG, for my project.

Obviously at University you are restricted to deadlines and have loads of other modules and coursework to take care of aswell, but now I think it would be cool if I could take what I learnt from final year, expand on it and create the sort of game I really want to make..

It'll take a lot of work but since I'm currently working part time and having trouble getting a job in computing that I really want, I feel like I can do this in my spare time and hope that the result will aid me in getting a job in the future :hehe:

That's quite a while ago now :eek:

You played Starfox 2D which I made in my second year at University using Game Maker..

I had moved onto XNA by final year and made another simple 2D Shooter in a few weeks called Combo and the Rain, a 2D RPG, for my project.

Obviously at University you are restricted to deadlines and have loads of other modules and coursework to take care of aswell, but now I think it would be cool if I could take what I learnt from final year, expand on it and create the sort of game I really want to make..

It'll take a lot of work but since I'm currently working part time and having trouble getting a job in computing that I really want, I feel like I can do this in my spare time and hope that the result will aid me in getting a job in the future :hehe:

you will have to send me a copy to test :awesome:

Yeah me too, I try to keep learning Java, but I always end up forgetting about it and then pick it up later again, while having to go over some of the previous stuff again. Last time I finally got into graphical programming, I had a little test 2D platform thingy, which worked.. Mostly ;). I have to get back to it next week or so, and try to create some working platform game experiment.

I'm not sure how much Java you know from your description, but if you're still just learning the basics, I'd recommend trying out something called Greenfoot. If you've already learned a significant amount of java though, don't bother with it.

I appreciate the suggestion, after checking it out, I guess I can see why you'd suggest it, as far as I can tell it handles things a bit similar to Director (i.e. graphical interface, and the software handles the 2D graphics for you, leaving you to code the behaviours of your "actors").

But I'll stick to Java itself, I'd like to learn all the basics, without some IDE simplifying some stuff for me. I want to be able to do all the graphical stuff myself. Again, I'll see next week if I can do a bit better than what I had last time.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE all do yourselves a favour and download this:

Night of the Cephalopods

notc-screen-002.gif

notc-screen-001.gif

HEAR your every move with the Lovecraft 3000 dynamic narration system!

SEE pixels of truly cyclopean dimension with hi-quality retro pixel art graphics!

FEEL the terror in your hands with Xbox 360 gamepad support!

Fully voice acted by professional voice actor Scott Moyle of Decoder Ring Theatre!

Can you survive till dawn against legions of eldritch octopi? CAN YOU?!

Night of the Cephalopods is a survival horror game with old school pixel art graphics and an innovative fully voiced dynamic narrative system.

http://www.spookysquid.com/notc/index.htm

Just a heads up, Indie game packs are being sold on sale on Steam during the current sale. There appears to be a different one everyday.

They're amazing value at £3.99. Bought every single one despite having a game in each one.

I had to bump this thread to discuss Lone Survivor:

http://www.lonesurvivor.co.uk/buy.html

Made by one guy called Jasper Bryne and available to download from either his site direct (DRM Free) or Steam it is a must buy if you ask me!

lone-survivor-20120420043625102-000.jpg

A 2D side scrolling survival horror that for me evokes the same sentiments that the likes of Silent Hill did back in the day. The game uses pixel art style but I feel like it almost looks like a canvas at times. Despite the pic I posted above there is emphasis on avoiding combat and surviving. I'm yet to finish but I really recommend it. If your not sure about it check out ign's review

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/122/1223463p1.html

also giant bomb did a quick look and there is also a demo to play through your browser on kongregate.

I’m seeing the last post for the first time, but I appreciate the recommendation, it’s been on my Steam wishlist for a while, but haven't bought it so far. I’ll have to download this later.

Anyway, some indie games:

Contrast

[Contrast official site]

Should be out this month.

Routine

[Routine official site]

No release date.

Slender: the arrival

[slender: the arrival official site]

Out now. Sort of sequel to the original Slender, with a new team behind it and a bigger budget, but in cooperation with the creator of the original.

Game Dev Tycoon certainly worth a look. It is very similar to the pc/ios/android hit Game Dev Story however just about offers enough to be different enough. Also as someone who played games back in the days of Commodore 64 it's nice to see them represented rather than starting with the MSX and NES type consoles.

I just find Game Dev Tycoon too much of a rip off of Game Dev Story that I dont really like the idea of giving them money for it. Especially after they got a load of good press for the pirating stuff they added that stopped people who didnt play being able to progress when they basically copied the game themselves.

I just find Game Dev Tycoon too much of a rip off of Game Dev Story that I dont really like the idea of giving them money for it. Especially after they got a load of good press for the pirating stuff they added that stopped people who didnt play being able to progress when they basically copied the game themselves.

Yeah I guess....if I'm honest in the end I did only play the demo and was this close to buying it before I just reinstalled Game Dev Story on my phone and now I'm away.

Dooo eeeet! :p

I’ve been eyeing this one for some time:

Kentucky Route 0

A point & click advenure which seems to put the focus on characters rather than puzzles. Or so they say. Love the artstyle. Oh, and it’s episodic, the first 2 (out of 5) chapters are available.

[Kentucky Route 0]

This one I saw on another forum recently:

Papers please

This looks so depressing.. I like it. You play an immigrant inspector and you decide who can cross the border and who don’t.

[Papers please]

And you can get the free beta [here].