NEurope

Bloody ridiculous. I was expecting this to kind of reaction to turn up on Kotaku but on here? :shakehead It's a brand new, exclusive title being built and designed from the ground up for the Wii. So what if it is an on the rails shooter. They've said they are committed to recreating the mood and atmosphere which was present in the original title and an on-rails shooter will increase the mood and atmosphere beyond what was seen in the original as you won't be able to get out of the way of the creatures and so it'll be about conserving your ammo and getting those crucial shots in to kill them in as few shots as possible. That there sounds like it's already increased the tension right there.

It may not be the title people were hoping for but it's what we are going to get so you either like it or bugger off because there will be people who will want it, myself being one of them. It's got the original team working on it and so anyone thinking it's not going to be Dead Space are seriously wrong because they will be bringing over what they learnt from that to this.

Bloody ridiculous. I was expecting this to kind of reaction to turn up on Kotaku but on here? :shakehead It's a brand new, exclusive title being built and designed from the ground up for the Wii. So what if it is an on the rails shooter. They've said they are committed to recreating the mood and atmosphere which was present in the original title and an on-rails shooter will increase the mood and atmosphere beyond what was seen in the original as you won't be able to get out of the way of the creatures and so it'll be about conserving your ammo and getting those crucial shots in to kill them in as few shots as possible. That there sounds like it's already increased the tension right there.

It may not be the title people were hoping for but it's what we are going to get so you either like it or bugger off because there will be people who will want it, myself being one of them. It's got the original team working on it and so anyone thinking it's not going to be Dead Space are seriously wrong because they will be bringing over what they learnt from that to this.

If this were a movie, this would be the part where cheesy romantic music begins to play, and birds and fluffy animals appear from the bushes and trees.

Marry me.

I don't understand how you can't be even slightly disappointed by this.

It's another chapter of the game, and given a different perspective.

Does this mean the horror or feel from the original will be lost? No, not at all. Surely with Dead Space, the main selling point of the game is the atmosphere and feeling. As long as they can translate that over to this, it is perfectly fine.

Hell, it has the potential to be better. Give it a chance.

Also, what is with the hate for all things On-Rails? Hmm.

The reason I'm not disappointed is because, as I've said, it's a completely new title and not a shoddy port. Ok, I was slightly disappointed about the on-rails shooter but when you think about it and how tense it'll make the experience it just exemplifies what Dead Space is all about: the mood and the atmosphere and I'm sure this will give us a much tenser atmosphere than the first title.

@ Flinky - We can elope to Belgium :)....... Wait that won't work :heh:

Personally, I just don't like on-rails games unless they give you a little bit of control of movement like Lylat wars had. I might pick this up sometime in 2010 if there's nothing else coming out, but its just not really my genre.

Its not hate towards on-rails, more a felling of cheated once more.

When we hear that's a Dead Space game, we see the trailers on the original Xbox, get gradually hyped because it looks great and the original has fun gameplay, see a vid of it looking beautiful on the Wii, it has multiplayer co-op, and then it turns out that the gameplay is simplified to a light gun game and whats left is the name and the horror theme.

Sorry if I expect a platformer when I hear Mario or a third person shooter when someone says Death Space.

I don't understand how you can't be even slightly disappointed by this.
I don't understand how you can be so narrow minded about this!

Dead Rising: CTYD says "Hi". :P

And also, the Wii can't handle Dead Rising and Dead Space, that's why we are getting these different versions.

Who's to say we won't get Dead Rising 2 in the future, but Dead Rising 1 isn' out on Wii yet.

Also, Dead Rising 2 isn't going to be any more capable on Wii than DR1 is it! What are you expecting DR2 to be able to do on Wii that DR1 can't?! We aren't suddenly going to get another 30 zombies on screen just because it's the sequel. It would no doubt run off the same engine as the port they are working on now.

So why should Capcom announce DR2 on Wii when 1) DR1 isn't out yet 2) They don't know how well DR will sell on Wii 3) The 'port' hasn't been well recieved [despite supposedly being built from the ground up] so why should they expect the sequel be received any better, and thus why should they bring DR2 to Wii. Perhaps it's just one of those games that wont translate well!

I'm so pleased it's not a direct port of Dead Space on 360/PS3, i was hoping for a fresh experience! Sure it might be on-rails and stuff...but it looks pretty fantastic! Though this is coming from someone who has Dead Space, i suppose the people who wanted to play the 360/PS3 Dead Space on Wii will be slightly dissapointed, i can understand that!

im willing to give it a go.

part of me feels the tension of dead space may be lost, after all, its like your being lead through things, theres no pausing round the corner, no stooping to investigate wen you see the mysterious shadows, hell, there wont be any stopping to stomp the limbs off courpses incase a horrible bat thing comes in to reserect them

that said, on rails actualy works ok. its a fun genra, and with the dissmemberment mechanic, this could work very well. the graphics are great, and a new aspect of the story is enough to get my interest.

its not what i was hoping for, but then that dosent make it bad.

if i went out to pull, hoping for a blond, id not complain i got a brunnette.

After giving it some more thought... I'm in the same camp as I was before.

I'm somewhere in between those silly people who dismiss the whole thing just because it's on-rails and those people who somehow think we don't deserve a more traditional game just because it's on Wii.

I'll take it for what it is at the end of the day (and it does look pretty sweet) but I can't say I wasn't disappointed with the direction they took.

and those people who somehow think we don't deserve a more traditional game just because it's on Wii.
Name one person who's said that!

Name one person who's said that!

It was this little comment on GoNintendo that did it for me:

Ouch, easy on the hating. On-rails means they can fully utilize the hardware so that we get a beautiful game.

Either I've exposed a EA mole or someone is in some serious need of an aspirations boost.

While the amount of hate that is being generated may be difficult to ignore, I hope EA do ignore it for the most part and just plow on with this because it looks great and if they can make it as interesting as the original then I'm sure it'll be just as good. They may well give us another more traditional Dead Space title further down the line but this will do nicely until that time.

Some people are just too hard to please though. Really, we're getting the series, and a new installment, on the console and it gives another mature title to play yet those that want the mature titles moan when a new one is announced. Yes, it's not a 3rd person title like the original Xbox concept or the title sitting on the shelves but really, it's an original look at the series which will increase the tension through the first person perspective and on rail gameplay. Like I said previously, if you're not happy about this you can go elsewhere and moan (perhaps go and moan at EA although they probably won't do anything about it) instead of taking up forum space with pointless posting when there are people who are genuinely interesting in the title.

I think people are 'allowed' to complain about the game being on-rails. Now it might be a very good on-rails game, but it seems the Wii prequel will be a ghost train compared to Dead Space's haunted house.

A huge part of the original is the feeling of unease, the morbid curiosity of not wanting to move forward yet feeling compelled to. If Extraction doesn't allow you any direct control over your movement then this element is stripped away, and with it a large part of what made the first game as good as it was. Fair enough it might be a very good game that's simply very different to the original, but for many that will still be a bitter-sweet outcome as they still won't have another game that plays in a similar manner to the excellent RE4: Wii Edition.

On the upside, if the game is on-rails in a similar fashion to Killer 7 — you control advancement along a set path and can pick routes at junctions in the environment — it could retain a lot more of what made the original, especially if you can turn around facilitating things creeping up behind you. As not much is known about the game at this point it's far too early to discount it for what it is, but at the same time it's unfair to jump on the backs of those who have been left rather disappointed by the reveal; there's no sense in kicking them whilst they're down¹.

¹Somewhat ironically a very useful tactic in the original Dead Space.

I agree entirely with Shino about this, it's very disapointing.

EA announces Dead Space for Wii, a third person action game. Everybody gets hyped; finally EA recognizes that the Wii is the market leader and it's going to give the platform AAA titles, and not that "All-Play" crap and Mario Kart's wannabes. Codecow from Neogaf claims nobody will be disapointed by the graphics. People get even more hyped.

Then they announce that their mature, highly hyped title is a lightgun shooter when Wii fans have been crying for years for something that slightly resembles the glorious experience RE4 was.

They don't know what they want; on one hand they want to deliver mature content on the platform; on the other hand they are basically afraid of doing something that might be to a turn off for beginners; i.e. controlling the character's legs.

For all the people who are claiming that a linear path isn't going to damage the "horror" feeling: have you ever played a true horror game (Umbrella doesn't count as RE is everything but horror nowadays) that doesn't let you move the character? Horror games depend on the psychologic relationship you have with the character; you know you are putting your character (you) on the line when you go through that door. I doubt this game will give someone more than a few scare jumps. And also, local co-op for a horror game? There is a reason why the first one didn't have multi-player.

I think most people are doing damage control about this because is a more mature game for Wii. The market leader shouldn't have to put up with lesser versions; and yet, we are in a position where sometimes we even contemplate buying games we normally wouldn't so they keep throwing us a bone. Games that are pure profit to cover the expenses of their other endeavors. Pure financial suicide.

This generation is so backwards it isn't even funny.

So you jumped to conclusions! that's not EA's fault!

I for one had no idea what to expect from Dead Space Wii.

We all knew it wasn't going to be identicle to the original and compromises made somewhere because the Wii just isn't capable.

Yes the assumption was we might get something along the lines of the Xbox demo, but maybe that just wasn't sustainable across the entire game.

EA are evidentely putting every effort behind this game and it annoys me that some people are being so narrow minded. You're not a games developer who can call the Wii capabilities so leave that to the experts; and EA and the Dead Space team are just that, and that's who we have working on this game, so cut them some slack.

They will want to do their new franchise proud in everyway they can, and it sounds like they have every intention of doing so and delivering something truely special with this edition in the series.

So cut them some slack, as there are countless developers and franchises out there who won't take a risk on Wii full stop.

So you jumped to conclusions! that's not EA's fault!

I for one had no idea what to expect from Dead Space Wii.

We all knew it wasn't going to be identicle to the original and compromises made somewhere because the Wii just isn't capable.

Yes the assumption was we might get something along the lines of the Xbox demo, but maybe that just wasn't sustainable across the entire game.

EA are evidentely putting every effort behind this game and it annoys me that some people are being so narrow minded. You're not a games developer who can call the Wii capabilities so leave that to the experts; and EA and the Dead Space team are just that, and that's who we have working on this game, so cut them some slack.

They will want to do their new franchise proud in everyway they can, and it sounds like they have every intention of doing so and delivering something truely special with this edition in the series.

So cut them some slack, as there are countless developers and franchises out there who won't take a risk on Wii full stop.

Why are you being so defensive? Maybe you should calm down a bit.

It is my opinion as a Dead Space fan. I never said anything about technical limitations and inabilities of the platform, nor did I ever used the Xbox demo version to hype myself for this version or assume it was going to be like that. Infact, if you read my posts I said the game looks good.

If by jumping to conclusions you mean assuming that a third person action game, would be still be a third person action game on the Wii, then yes, guilt as charged.

But please, if my opinion offended you so much because I don't agree with what EA is doing with this version, please, feel free to ignore my comments.

Edit: lol D_prOdigy post

Peer Schneider is awesome.

By now, you've probably seen the Dead Space: Extraction announcement. I just watched the trailer -- and it asks an important question:

deadspacewii_468_1234980862.jpg

The answer is simple: why, in a straight line from start to finish, of course.

Why are you being so defensive? Maybe you should calm down a bit.

But please, if my opinion offended you so much because I don't agree with what EA is doing with this version, please, feel free to ignore my comments.

oh for gods sake!

I'm disappointed because I just wanted more of the same. Don't get me wrong, this will most likely turn out to be good, and as a Dead Space fan I'll probably get it. But I just got my hopes up for the gameplay from the original enhanced with Wii controls, à la RE4WE, the ultimate version of RE4.

As great as Resident Evil 4 is, I do wish people would stop pumping it up so much. It wasn't the only great game last generation.