NEurope

The more I play this, the more I like it. And I like it a lot!

I have to admit it felt pretty lame in the beginning, but it gets better along the way. Shooting feels genuinly fun and precise (moreso then the original DS) and the story is compelling. The graphics are a bit jaggy, but the animations and facial expressions are excellent. You really feel like you're a real character and surrounded by real people (the living ones, anyway). It's good you're not a mute obey-o-tron with which you should identify. It's upthere with the best IMO. And better unlockables than the next-gen versions: fully animated and voice-acted comics? Beats thrilling concept art right out of the water anyday.

So, I started playing this again, this time on my Wii. I really love the Return to the Megavents level and the Rendezvous with Fate section, too. That part where you put on the space suit, very nice. I'm at Chapter 6 now, and I just do not want this game to end.

The Flamethrower is a truely great weapon. I love toasting shit. Playing some sections of this game is basically like being in the film Aliens. I'm a huge fan. My Mum picked up a cheap Wii Peripheral for a few quid not too long ago, which is kinda in the shape of a magnum, but with a larger barrel. I've been using that, and I must say that I do find it pretty comfortable, haha. I've used a Wii zapper beforehand, but I think I actually prefer this peripheral.

Also, probably playing this in the early hours of the morning before bedtime is not a great idea. I hope I have some glow-worms so I can pop to the loo before bedtime.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Alright, I finished this game yesterday on normal. Following on from my earlier posts, I really, really love this game. For some reason, the feel of the game really reminds me of Eternal Darkness on the Gamecube, because of the tension that you feel throughout.

I also have to admit that the fact this is on-rails did not bother me at all in the slightest. If anything, I thought it helped make the game feel that bit more cinematic. Another game this reminds me of is Alien Vs. Predator 2, which at times scared the crap out of me. I found this was even worse. Playing this in the early hours of the morning didn't help...

So, onto my positives and negatives: (I'm going to spoiler these)

• Very cinematic, and very scary. The bits in the vents (especially in chapter 9) were amazinginly nervy.
  • Graphically and soundwise, this is top notch. Probably one of the best games on the Wii in terms of look and sound.
  • The weapons were brilliant. I loved the flamethrower!
  • This worked well with a gun attachment as well as just the remote. Great control scheme.
  • Some tasty unlockables. Comics with voicework and the challenge mode are both good.
  • The space/zero gravity sections! Along with the sections in the vents, they were the best moments in the game.

• Although it's a great journey, it's a shame this didn't go on for a bit longer.
  • The last chapter is slightly disappointing given the previous chapters before it, especially chapter 9 which was outstanding.

That's really it. I didn't think there was that much wrong with the game.

Seriously love this game. For the developers, thank you so much for this game. What I do want is more though, more of this please. I want more Dead Space for the Wii!

God, a tenner is an absolute bargain for that game. You could do a lot worse.

If you're into your spacey science fiction type of films or games, then you'll love this. I pretty much love every aspect of this game. Might start a second run through once I finish some others first.

Do eeet naaaaw! Get eet! GET TO DA SHOPTOOOO!

I bought this recently after having played the original Dead Space many times over and they have done a good job on this Wii game. The extra content is great as well.

I prefer this to RE Darkside (shaky cam) Chronicles.

Also rumoured that Dead Space 2 is getting a PSP version.

Wii port of the PSP port 100% confirmed.

When they say a Remake of Extraction, what do they mean? I mean, it's not a straightforward port of the Wii game onto the other consoles? It seems very, very unfair for them to just release that as 15 dollars, whereas Wii owners were charged full price. We'll have to see. I don't particularly care as I love the game anyway. Great game.

So I didnt play the original Dead Space but I keep hearing good stuff about this one. My question if is nessesary to have played first one to get a full experience of this game?

No, I haven't, I have the first game still lying on the shelf, I'll get to it eventually. As Extraction is a prequel, there's no prior story to be known (well, there is I believe, but that's not what the first game is about). The gamers who've played the first will love the references and the fact they know what will happen after this game, but aside from that, it's the same experience.

OK so I finally played through this last week... in co-op with Eddage... and I thoroughly enjoyed it!!

First of all the presentation is absolutely first class!!

The voice acting is brilliant, the script fantastic, the characters feel real and you begin to either care for or dislike them... coupled with the great visuals and it genuinely feels like you're part of an interactive movie.

Some have critcised this game for not having that fast paced, perhaps arcade like qualities you would traditionally expect from a light gun game. But it's here Dead Space distinguishes itself!

By bucking the trend it offers a far more engaging style of gameplay, which goes fully in line with it's cinematic storyline.

It draws you in and feels far more real by having breaks from the action, rooms where you have to physically barracade yourself in to escape from the horrors happening all around you. Offering you moments of calm to fully realise what's happening.

And mixing up the characters you play as, telling you the story from different peoples perspectives and right from the get go, having no guarantee over character survival really keeps things interesting.

And another one of the games strengths is it's interactivity. You feel like you're in there!

Also the scattered audio logs that playback through the Wii-mote speaker are by far the best use of it yet (it's feels so much more real than in other games like No More Heroes).

Levels are a mixed bunch. The opening few levels are brilliant, and the game ends in a strong way too. There are brilliant set pieces throughout... however there were a couple of levels around the middle where the setting began to feel a little bit samey. Yes your on a space ship so your theme is confined somewhat, but perhaps they could have thrown something else into the mix. I think they attempted this with one level in partcular... but it fell a little too late and was still not quite diverse enough.

Perhaps they could have had you watch a video log from back on the planet and then had you play through it or something?

Or another high point... the zero gravity parts... perhaps an entire level based outside the ship?

Negatives...

- The boss battles were ok, but a tad frustrating at times and perhaps not as stand out as they should have been.

- The weapons again are mixed. We found there only to be about 5 or so useful ones out of the 10 or som available.

- Also, this game isn't scary (or at least anywhere close to what you might be expecting)... but that could be a positive or negative.

Overall I think Dead Space Extraction is a fantastic experience, and one that many many more people should experience. It's one of the most cinematic, and engaging games on Wii... it doesn't matter one bit that it's 'on-rails'... it's delievers on all fronts. When playing it, it didn't occur to me that it should be any other way.

If you're purely after an arcade style shooter, choose HotD: Overkill.

Otherwise you should definately play this. It's a first class experience, and one of the Wii's finest!

The only real dissapointment for me was that it wasn't a little longer, as come the end of the game I was just left wanting more!! :D

Edited by Retro_Link

I've played through, and cleared, quite a few similar games on the Wii in the last couple of years.. including Ghost Squad, House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return, House of the Dead: Overkill, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles and, most recently, Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles. I've enjoyed them all, even though they are all quite different :hehe:

I spotted Dead Space: Extraction for £7.99 a few weeks ago but after looking at the back of the box, I decided against it. I've watched a few videos since then and I'm just not sure about it.. there is something about the style of it that just doesn't seem to click with me. I'd maybe feel different if I got my hands on it, but I'm not sure if I ever will.. even at that price :eek:

OK so I finally played through this last week... in co-op with Eddage... and I thoroughly enjoyed it!!

First of all the presentation is absolutely first class!!

The voice acting is brilliant, the script fantastic, the characters feel real and you begin to either care for or dislike them... coupled with the great visuals and it genuinely feels like you're part of an interactive movie.

Some have critcised this game for not having that fast paced, perhaps arcade like qualities you would traditionally expect from a light gun game. But it's here Dead Space distinguishes itself!

By bucking the trend it offers a far more engaging style of gameplay, which goes fully in line with it's cinematic storyline.

It draws you in and feels far more real by having breaks from the action, rooms where you have to physically barracade yourself in to escape from the horrors happening all around you. Offering you moments of calm to fully realise what's happening.

And mixing up the characters you play as, telling you the story from different peoples perspectives and right from the get go, having no guarantee over character survival really keeps things interesting.

And another one of the games strengths is it's interactivity. You feel like you're in there!

Also the scattered audio logs that playback through the Wii-mote speaker are by far the best use of it yet (it's feels so much more real than in other games like No More Heroes).

Levels are a mixed bunch. The opening few levels are brilliant, and the game ends in a strong way too. There are brilliant set pieces throughout... however there were a couple of levels around the middle where the setting began to feel a little bit samey. Yes your on a space ship so your theme is confined somewhat, but perhaps they could have thrown something else into the mix. I think they attempted this with one level in partcular... but it fell a little too late and was still not quite diverse enough.

Perhaps they could have had you watch a video log from back on the planet and then had you play through it or something?

Or another high point... the zero gravity parts... perhaps an entire level based outside the ship?

Negatives...

- The boss battles were ok, but a tad frustrating at times and perhaps not as stand out as they should have been.

- The weapons again are mixed. We found there only to be about 5 or so useful ones out of the 10 or som available.

- Also, this game isn't scary (or at least anywhere close to what you might be expecting)... but that could be a positive or negative.

Overall I think Dead Space Extraction is a fantastic experience, and one that many many more people should experience. It's one of the most cinematic, and engaging games on Wii... it doesn't matter one bit that it's 'on-rails'... it's delievers on all fronts. When playing it, it didn't occur to me that it should be any other way.

If you're purely after an arcade style shooter, choose HotD: Overkill.

Otherwise you should definately play this. It's a first class experience, and one of the Wii's finest!

The only real dissapointment for me was that it wasn't a little longer, as come the end of the game I was just left wanting more!! :D

All the different accents got a bit annoying though, it was like a United Colors of Benetton advert thrown into a video game...

Although the South African dude was hilarious :heh:

With regards to the boss fights, if you don't die you're fine, it's just that when you do die you're thrown back in with half of your health which inevitably leads to more, slightly cheap fealing, deaths.

I've played through, and cleared, quite a few similar games on the Wii in the last couple of years.. including Ghost Squad, House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return, House of the Dead: Overkill, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles and, most recently, Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles. I've enjoyed them all, even though they are all quite different :hehe:

I spotted Dead Space: Extraction for £7.99 a few weeks ago but after looking at the back of the box, I decided against it. I've watched a few videos since then and I'm just not sure about it.. there is something about the style of it that just doesn't seem to click with me. I'd maybe feel different if I got my hands on it, but I'm not sure if I ever will.. even at that price :eek:

I've owned both HotD: Overkill and RE:UC.

HotD: Overkill is a good game and has great replayability, it's pure arcade fun and laughs! But it's difficult to stress just what a different type of game it is to Dead Space, despite them both being lightgun games.

It's more similar to RE:UC in that they are both more story led and slow paced... but IMO Dead Space is way, WAY better! In every aspect! So if you enjoyed RE:UC, you should definately give DS a go!!

All the different accents got a bit annoying though, it was like a United Colors of Benetton advert thrown into a video game...

Although the South African dude was hilarious :heh:

Yeah but all the accents were a lot of fun! :p

South Africa/Eckhardt FTW! :D