NEurope

During its fiscal third quarter earnings call today, Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello announced a Wii version of last year's horror shooter Dead Space is on the way. No other details were revealed, but IGN has heard it will be an original take on the game that makes full use of the Wii remote.

"We're bringing core intellectual property to the Wii," Riccitiello said. "Wii is the market leader -- they're getting half of our emphasis in terms of title count."

Dead Space was released on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC last October and received high praise for its beautiful graphics, creepy atmosphere, and gruesome alien zombie dismemberment. Oh, and zero gravity gameplay. Electronic Arts credits the game as one of its major sales drivers during its fiscal Q3.

IGN

Awesome! The latest IGN weekly hinted at this!

Funny how Capcom who brought us Resi 4, aren't yet of the same opinion!

Fantastic news! Whether it's a port or a new installment, I'm extremely happy regardless.

Fantastic news! Whether it's a port or a new installment, I'm extremely happy regardless.

Looks like it will be down port. :)

*prays for a new game*

I LOVE this game on the PS3. Would struggle to play through again on Wii however good the controls are. Would love a sequel, but doubt it :( Great news though. Hope Wii really starts to dominate, get all the games, exclusives, destroy the market :)

On another note, I will say that the graphics and technicals are a huge factor in this games brilliance; and though the controls bug me and I know the Wii controls will be stunning; it will be very interesting to see how this is handled. Can't wait!! What a year it;s going to be for the wii!!

Ea have constantly been supporting the wii same with sega. I never understand why capcom always gets the credit..

I;m sure they will make a good version of this.. better than dead rising i'd say and if it's a struggling ea they MUST be confident it will sell well..

Wait... What?

Dead Space is a technical marvel and an incredible show piece in terms of graphical achievement. That achievement creates an incredible atmosphere. Why do I sense another Dead Rising: CTYD? :-/

Sounds great. Hopefully this kind of title gets ported for launch in the future like CoD:W@W was. But getting it a year late isn't that bad as long as we get it.

Wait... What?

Dead Space is a technical marvel and an incredible show piece in terms of graphical achievement. That achievement creates an incredible atmosphere. Why do I sense another Dead Rising: CTYD? :-/

If they're prepared to take their time with the port and produce the equivalent of Resi 4 Wii [and not Dead Rising], I doubt any of the atmosphere will be lost.

If they're prepared to take their time with the port and produce the equivalent of Resi 4 Wii [and not Dead Rising], I doubt any of the atmosphere will be lost.

Lets hope so. EA should not outsource this, it should be done in house by the original developer.

Wait... What?

I think this could be the reason.

Looks like it will be down port. :)

IGN beg to differ.

No other details were revealed, but IGN has heard it will be an original take on the game that makes full use of the Wii remote.

Lets hope so. EA should not outsource this, it should be done in house by the original developer.

The original team is making Dante's Inferno, so unless they have a small team working on it at Redwood Shores, the game most likely is being handled by another EA studio. Or it will be outsourced.

Yeah, pretty much. I actually didn't read the article before posting it and thought I'd dive in there quickly, then read your link after posting it and was disappointed :heh:

I was trying to avoid giving this away in the IGN podcast thread lol.

But yeah, definitely a good announcement, very interesting when you consider the sort of market it's aimed at too. Good to see EA branching out further, albeit there is still a bit of cheek to it with Dead Space 2 heading to PS360 (Albeit maybe that'll have a Wii version?)

Either way, hard to get too excited before screenshots. Dead Rising Wii sounded promising too...

Cool. Was expecting this a little bit after hearing about it going multi-platform. Hopefully they do a good job so I can pick it up.

Great, more love for the Wii folk.

Let´s just hope it won´t get the Dead Rising Wii treatment :Þ

Great, more love for the Wii folk.

Let´s just hope it won´t get the Dead Rising Wii treatment :Þ

^^^^ pretty much what i was going to say

That's like asking the sun not to rise tomorrow. It's pretty clear from the Dead Rising thread that people won't give the game a chance regardless of weather it's a port or a given a wii like twist.

Very nice, I think the game is quite doable on the Wii it just a lower poly count, closed spaces and smaller textures should help.

dead space is a great game, alot of that was brought about from its presentation. hopfully the wii can deliver somthing to do it justice. if it looks as good as resi 4 did, then it shouldtn be a problem

dont remeber to many moments with alot of enemys at once, so that side shouldent be a problem.

its the physics im worried about, the zero g sections, mixed in with dismembering the enemys, that might prove a hard task for the wii.

im just interested to see if they do any clever features for wii controles.

I finished the original game and had to force myself to play all through out. Its got nothing on RE4. Was fairly dull and mundane aside from the various 'shock moments'. The core gameplay was very weak and keeps repeating when its not even interesting. Presentation was bog standard for a multiplatform game. Clearly hugely overrated.

Not worth your time unless you were really desperate for a horror game.