NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
James

Microsoft Silverlight

Ok this has probably been done already, but what is this piece of bullshit that you have to download from ITV in order to watch anything, are they on crack? It doesnt work with macs, also i think it dont even work with Windows, nice to see them giving people all the accessibility they possibly can.

Obviously flash player is rubbish for streaming content *cough*Youtube, bbc iplayer*cough*

well thats my rant over with. had to get it off my chest, its shocking!!!

Apparently you can get a mac version of it. But I'd say go with something like zatoo is better than messing around with all these different technologies and applications being flogged by tv companies. But yeah Microsoft sliverlight sucks either way.

I don't see what's wrong with Silverlight :wtf:

Surely a bit of competition in the video streaming market is a good thing, and it's not as if it's locking people into anything anymore than Flash is since it's available for Windows, OS X and Linux through Novell's partnership with Microsoft.

I also don't see how Flash is rubbish for streaming content. Sure, Youtube has it's faults but iPlayer and Vimeo have always worked perfectly for me.

Silverlight does something Flash wasn't designed for. Proper video streaming. Flash has had to be adapted, Silverlight has always had many complex technologies in mind when it was designed... Buh yeah, I think theres a Mac version out there.

There is a mac version. I've seen it being used, though I haven't installed it myself seeing as I've never come across anything that uses it yet.

This is going to have a long way to catch up to compete with flash though.

There is a mac version. I've seen it being used, though I haven't installed it myself seeing as I've never come across anything that uses it yet.

This is going to have a long way to catch up to compete with flash though.

It will grow quickly with the money, and reputation, behind it.

Microsoft has its ways of getting its software to everyone, and with it being free and easy its all good.

It's a mess with the internet now Adobe (Flash), Microsoft (Silverlight) and Sun (JavaFX) have something for rich internet content. Now you need a zillion plugins to surf around properly.

To be honest Adobe needs to get their act together because apparently Silverlight and JavaFX are pretty capable packages. Silverlight will be included default in Windows 7 and is available on Mac and mobile devices, and JavaFX is included with Java (including the VMs on mobile phones), so the competition might get rough for them.

Silverlight will likely wind up replacing Flash, it's far more capable and yields very impressive results. It's also central to Microsoft's "Life without walls" concept that they're pushing at the moment, it's a core component of Windows Live, Windows 7 and Windows Mobile 7.

Silverlight will likely wind up replacing Flash, it's far more capable and yields very impressive results. It's also central to Microsoft's "Life without walls" concept that they're pushing at the moment, it's a core component of Windows Live, Windows 7 and Windows Mobile 7.

They're defiantly going to need Mac tools if they ever want it to get to the point where it could replace flash. PC exclusivity is a mistake Microsoft has made a few times now. Flash is so popular because it works very well on all platforms. You can't even get silverlight 2 player for PowerPC based Macs.

It's pretty annoying Linux has meagre support as well. Although the open source implementation pleases the nerd community, the closed source versions of Flash and JavaFX are actually up snuff in capability with their Windows counterparts.

It's surprising how influential Linux users are on the internet sometimes.

I know there is a Mac version its just a shame it doesn't work when I install it, ho hum.

It's a mess with the internet now Adobe (Flash), Microsoft (Silverlight) and Sun (JavaFX) have something for rich internet content. Now you need a zillion plugins to surf around properly.

To be honest Adobe needs to get their act together because apparently Silverlight and JavaFX are pretty capable packages. Silverlight will be included default in Windows 7 and is available on Mac and mobile devices, and JavaFX is included with Java (including the VMs on mobile phones), so the competition might get rough for them.

My computer already had it installed, it was already on when i went to download it.

My computer already had it installed, it was already on when i went to download it.
Yeah, it's included with Windows Live Messenger now too. Microsoft is making sure you're getting their product.

Sign in to follow this