NEurope
Retro_Link

Common Misconceptions

This is incorrect. The ancient Chinese invented the flushing toilet.

So is this. An ancient civilisation on Crete invented it.

Did Hitler have one testicle or was that all a big joke?!

I believe this was true, yes. I think some doctor confirmed it or something.

I believe this was true, yes. I think some doctor confirmed it or something.

As concrete a source as there ever could be. Some Danish guy on a Nintendo forum says that some doctor (or something) may have confirmed it ... he believes. :heh:

Yeah, some doctor who treated Hitler during WOI confirmed this. I forgot if he only ever had one or he lost one though (because of an injury during the war).

1408147-Giza-Pyramid--The-Sphinx-0.jpg

Something about the Great Sphinx: recently scientists/geologists have made the claim that originally, the Sphinx actually had a lion's head, and not a human head. This was probably carved in it later on or something.

As concrete a source as there ever could be. Some Danish guy on a Nintendo forum says that some doctor (or something) may have confirmed it ... he believes. :heh:

I was actually thinking that myself when I wrote it. :p

i think dan's to nice to lie. anything he says is therefor true.

That's very nice. :) Though the issue at hand isn't if I'm lying, but where the heck I got the info from. I don't even remember myself. :p

So is this. An ancient civilisation on Crete invented it.

Coincidentally I spoke to my brother and he said that it was actually an indus valley civilisation. Which was over 400 years ago. The one at knossos (I think that was the city on crete) was centuries after that.

Either way I was wrong (I prefer the term mistaken).

Yeah, some doctor who treated Hitler during WOI confirmed this. I forgot if he only ever had one or he lost one though (because of an injury during the war).

Something about the Great Sphinx: recently scientists/geologists have made the claim that originally, the Sphinx actually had a lion's head, and not a human head. This was probably carved in it later on or something.

Hmmm... Never heard that before! I am aware it was carved from a single rock though and is the image of King Khufu. But its hard to imagine the image of a lion not being totally obvious after a human one. (ears, nose etc)

Hmmm... Never heard that before! I am aware it was carved from a single rock though and is the image of King Khufu. But its hard to imagine the imagine of a lion not being totally obvious after a human one. (ears, nose etc)

It's something that only appeared in the newspaper recently (like, in December). Of course I have no idea if it is actually true or not, or if they will even be able to verify this at all.

i can bach up eenuh on this, i watched alot of docmentories on the sphinx/egypt in my time. the evidence to surgest it was taken from an older, lion statue, is that the weathering on the lion half of the statue is different to that on the face. this was pout down to qa different climate in egypt when the statue was built.

It's something that only appeared in the newspaper recently (like, in December). Of course I have no idea if it is actually true or not, or if they will even be able to verify this at all.

There was a program about it a few weeks ago. Not sure if it was about it being an lion originally but they were saying how the head is too big for the current body. The proportions are all wrong.

I cant remember the exact details, i think the body is too short, but it looked as if it may have been longer originally and carved shorter at a later point when they examined the stone. Quite interesting.

apparently yes. though i belive he lost it in WW1

I thought his mother (a dirty bugger) chopped it off when he was small?

I thought his mother (a dirty bugger) chopped it off when he was small?
Yeah, then I thought she threw it over a conker tree, and it landed in the deep blue sea!

Then the fishes, got out their dishes, and they had scollops and bollocks for tea!

But...but...Some historians told me it was in the Albert Hall, others told me it was splattered up the wall. Who was right? :wtf:

Yeah, then I thought she threw it over a conker tree, and it landed in the deep blue sea!

Then the fishes, got out their dishes, and they had scollops and bollocks for tea!

Scollops and bollocks, or as they call it round these parts, surf and turf.

But...but...Some historians told me it was in the Albert Hall, others told me it was splattered up the wall. Who was right? :wtf:
Albert Hall definately!

There was a program about it a few weeks ago. Not sure if it was about it being an lion originally but they were saying how the head is too big for the current body. The proportions are all wrong.

I cant remember the exact details, i think the body is too short, but it looked as if it may have been longer originally and carved shorter at a later point when they examined the stone. Quite interesting.

Actually it's the other way around, the body is too big for the head. This photo shows that quite well:

egypt_great-sphinx.jpg

Which could mean that the original head (possibly that of a lion) was bigger, but they carved a human head out of it (thus making it smaller than the original one).

Ah yeah, its coming back to me now! Makes more sense. I knew it was something like that, i obviously didn't pay enough attention when i watched it :p

But Sphinxes have human heads as a prerequisite...

Unless it was just meant to be a giant Lion...but then that wouldn't make much sense even existing.

But Sphinxes have human heads as a prerequisite...

Unless it was just meant to be a giant Lion...but then that wouldn't make much sense even existing.

It wasn't originally a sphinx, that's the thing. Lions lived around there at that time, and were a symbol of power (and probably other stuff as well).

Maybe an ancient civilization of lions did it before the humans took over and turned it into a travesty.

i was always led to eblive the outher, was on the kitchen wall.

this would mean either hitler had 0 balls, or a removable one.