NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Emerald Emblem

Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympics

A Spanish magazine has possibly unveiled a new Mario and Sonic Olympic game for the 2010 winter Olympics in Canada:

Who are these two and why do they come to see each other? Find out all the details on the mystery game in the next magazine. But before that, here are some clues: games, Olympics, It's cold, It's winter...

mario_sonic_winter.jpg

If there's ice hockey in it, basically team Nintendo/Mario vs. team Sega/Sonic then I'm up for it. Didn't buy the first one but if it does have ice hockey and it plays alright with no stupid motion controls, then I'll consider getting it.

I'm curious about this. Loved the first but I rarely play it anymore

Exactly, it's one of those games you can play to death but then never touch it again.

I used to love those old Winter Olympic games made by USGold. They were mint at the time but now...In my mind...WE NEED A REMAKE.

If this houses significant improvements over the original/awesome ski moments and bobsleigh balance board antics (or even exists at all) I'll be delighted.

I'm hoping that this might make us of WiiMotion+ then. I've only played a few games on the original, was kinda like a work out :heh:

I used to love those old Winter Olympic games made by USGold. They were mint at the time but now...In my mind...WE NEED A REMAKE.

Like Winter Gold? Now that takes me back!

I loved the old one, so much fun and u really worked up a sweat, which was great.

Hope this is true, and MP would make it unbelievably good.

Eurogamer had this to say...

A secret source has confirmed to Eurogamer that a second Mario & Sonic at the Olympics game is currently in development.

As reported by Go Nintendo, news of the sequel has appeared in Spanish magazine Nintendo Accion. They've got the name of the game down as Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympics.

A SEGA spokesperson declined to confirm or deny the report, simply telling Eurogamer, "No comment, I'm afraid."

However, a person who knows about this sort of thing has since confirmed the sequel is in the works, and will have a wintry theme.

It's not the most surprisingest of news when you consider how successful the first Mario & Sonic game was. It was released for Wii in November 2007 and DS in February 2008, and five million copies were sold in the first three months alone.

Also in this months ONM it states that the next issue has a big exclusive, could be this.

Like Winter Gold? Now that takes me back!

Hell yes.

This is looking more and more likely. Awesome!! Mario and Sonic sitting in a tree...

Seems like the perfect opportunity for Mario and Sonic to team up again and again and again and again...Let the cash cow and the milking commence! :heh:

First one was great fun, good that it might be getting a sequel. :smile:

Hopefully both Balance Board and Motion+ will be used if so.

If this houses significant improvements over the original/awesome ski moments and bobsleigh balance board antics (or even exists at all) I'll be delighted.

haha I remember that.. Classic game even if after ten years I never worked out how to play all the games :D

Officially confirmed:

TOKYO (February 12, 2009) - SEGA® Corporation and Nintendo Co., Ltd today announced that two of the biggest video game heroes, Mario™ and Sonic™, will be coming together again, this time taking their rivalry to the snow and ice in another officially licensed Olympic-themed smash hit Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games™. Heading to stores late in 2009 on the Wii™ home video game system and Nintendo DS , Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games will take players to Vancouver, Canada, host city of the official 2010 Olympic Winter Games. This gaming experience invites players of all ages and skill sets to face-off in some of the most intense winter competitions available for the Nintendo platforms.

Developed by SEGA of Japan, under the guidance of Shigeru Miyamoto, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games will take players to lifelike Olympic venues where they can choose from a legendary cast of playable characters, including new faces to the series to be revealed later this year. Following the phenomenal worldwide popularity of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, which has sold over 10 million copies worldwide, this fresh gaming experience will feature completely new Olympic Winter Games events from the official competition schedule including Alpine Skiing and Speed Skating with more events announced throughout the year.

Tailored to the specific system controls, Nintendo DS and Wii gamers will enjoy completely unique experiences thanks to each platform having its own specific gameplay features and modes. Players of all skill levels will enjoy the intuitive controls of both the Wii and Nintendo DS systems, in both single and multiplayer gaming modes. The Wii game will offer an even richer multiplayer experience offering co-op and competitive gameplay where the Nintendo DS brings an intense competitive element using the Nintendo DS wireless capabilities. Additionally, one of the new features to be found in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games is the inclusion of the Wii Balance Board™ which can be used in some events featured in the Wii version, allowing for a more interactive and realistic gaming experience.

Published by SEGA across Europe and North America, and published by Nintendo in the Japanese market, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games is again licensed through a worldwide partnership with International Sports Multimedia (ISM), the exclusive interactive entertainment software licensee of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

We are extremely happy to again team up with Nintendo and ISM on what promises to be another global success. says Naoya Tsurumi, CEO, SEGA of America and SEGA Europe. "Sonic will partner with Mario once more beneath the spotlight of the legendary Olympic Games. Together they will face new athletic challenges that will provide gamers with more of the exciting experiences unique to this series."

SEGA has been a valued publishing partner of Nintendo for many years and Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games is the ultimate representation of that relationship, said Reggie Fils-Aime, president and COO, Nintendo of America. "We look for this game to continue the tradition its predecessor started by bringing new events, new characters, and new gameplay experiences to fans worldwide."

To once again have Mario and Sonic and friends compete in Olympic sports and events in a winter setting is tremendously exciting for the Olympic Movement and the millions of gamers worldwide who enjoyed the characters' previous match up, says Raymond Goldsmith, Chairman & CEO of ISM.

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games will be in stores late 2009. For more information about the game, please visit http://www.sega.com or http://www.olympicvideogames.com.

Press release

I love M&S at the Olympics..the game is hilarious when playing in multiplayer etc..so this is a day one buy for me! Sure it seems like a cash-in..but i think the games are quite polished and use the wii-mote to it's full potential! and now the wii balance board too!

Here's some details from Gonintendo.

- still no word on online play

- difference game mechanics and modes for Wii, DS versions

- Wii confirmed events: Speed-skating, downhill skiing

- DS confirmed events: snowboarding, bobsled

- both versions of the game will share a ton of events between them

- confirmed characters thus far: Mario, Sonic, Luigi, Shadow, Bowser, Daisy, Blaze, Yoshi, Waluigi, Wario, Tails, Peach, Eggman, Knuckles

Game needs butt-controlled balance board bobsleigh. I can see it working anyway.

Anyway I guess it's obvious this'll appeal to anyone who liked the original and wanted more but wont appeal to many other people.

Original still sells insanely well though.

Never got around to playing the first one , but this one could be more appealing due to my preference for winter sports.

Game needs butt-controlled balance board bobsleigh. I can see it working anyway.

Haha.. amazingly that was the first thing I thought of when the rumours of a Winter Olympics began.. it would be great :yay:

I'm much more interested in this game than the previous game (which, although I like, I never bought it myself..)

This will be a big seller and a big deal for some but the original for me wasn't quite as amazing as it could have been tbh aside from the obvious "zomg! Nintendo and Sega characters in the SAME GAME" thing but after that it's just a collection of mini-games, some work and some don't, it was flawed but fun.

Hopefully they will make use of Wii motion plus for this sequel but I'm yet to see any evidence that they won't just simply rush it out to coincide with the actual Olympics.

Lets hope thats enough time for them to implement Motion Plus then. :heh:

You know what would be fun? If they'd put a full blooper reel like they did in Mario Tennis on the GC.

I'm looking forward to this game, it's fun to play with friends.

Fleetingly played the original, but played the DS version for quite a while the last week.

I love the concept, and the Wii felt a lot better than DS, so I might consider this game.

Sign in to follow this