NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Charlie

Tennis Season 2009

I know we have a few tennis fans on the board so I thought I'd create a thread for this year's tennis. The Aussie Open started last night, Federer and Djokovic both won in their first round matches in straight sets. Murray plays tonight at midnight UK time and will be live on the BBC, as will all his Aussie Open matches!

Can't wait for it personally, he's got a real chance of causing some damage over the next 2 weeks!

He's been the best player in the world so far but it's obviously very early days in the season. Here's hoping he does a little better then he did last year at the Aussie Open. He seems to be handling all the media pressure quite well.

He seems to be handling all the media pressure quite well.
Wait til Wimbledon, haha!

So what's it to be then... Murray's Mound, Murray's Mountain, Mount Murray [ :shakehead ]

Not a huge tennis fan, though I'll watch Wimbledon and the occasional other matches.

Hewitt was my favourite and I always like to watch him. But now that he's slowing down in the game, Nadal is my other favourite.

I like the players with heaps of personality, energy and enthusiasm out on the court. Real characters that make any match exciting and entertaining.

lol, Henman was not one of these! :indeed:

I don't dislike Tennis, but I prefer team sports, not to mention sports where being a fan means something.

Tennis is all about the individual, watching tennis or being in the crowd doesn't really mean anything. I also don't like the Wimbledon hype every year, with day tripping fans who change allegiances over night. Don't get me wrong there's some hardcore tennis fans there, like this American gentlemen I got talking to in London during the last Wimbledon. But there's a lot of people who go now just for the hype of the event. Not to mention this little hill that keeps getting blooming renamed.

Wait til Wimbledon, haha!

So what's it to be then... Murray's Mound, Murray's Mountain, Mount Murray [ :shakehead ]

:

It really should remain as Henman Hill. It feels arbitrary to rename it anything else, like they used to do for Rusedski etc. It will always be Henman Hill in my mind at least.

Not a "we love Andy Murray thread" is it? :heh:

I'm still a Federer fan- he's a class act and always will be. They were saying on Sky last night after a Federer interview that you get the feeling that he's not playing for ranking any more, just for the Slams. I'd still love to see him get back to world number one again, but if he can get another Grand Slam title this year that will rock too.

Not a huge tennis fan, though I'll watch Wimbledon and the occasional other matches.

Hewitt was my favourite and I always like to watch him. But now that he's slowing down in the game, Nadal is my other favourite.

I like the players with heaps of personality, energy and enthusiasm out on the court. Real characters that make any match exciting and entertaining.

lol, Henman was not one of these! :indeed:

You obviously didn't watch Henman during his years of being the hopes of British tennis, every one of his Wimbledon matches was exciting.

I don't dislike Tennis, but I prefer team sports, not to mention sports where being a fan means something.

Tennis is all about the individual, watching tennis or being in the crowd doesn't really mean anything.

How does a fan of Arsenal mean anything more than being a fan of Andy Murray or another tennis player? You affect the outcome of the game just as little for either one if you're at it and nothing you can do individually will affect anything about the team/player.

Not a "we love Andy Murray thread" is it? :heh:

I'm still a Federer fan- he's a class act and always will be. They were saying on Sky last night after a Federer interview that you get the feeling that he's not playing for ranking any more, just for the Slams. I'd still love to see him get back to world number one again, but if he can get another Grand Slam title this year that will rock too.

Not at all. :heh:

I love Federer too - I always have (see the mancrush thread) but if he's playing Murray I'll want Muzza to win.

You obviously didn't watch Henman during his years of being the hopes of British tennis, every one of his Wimbledon matches was exciting.

The matches may have been exciting but Henman himself is boring, a plank of wood has more personality!

Personally I'll be supporting Murray solely because he's British (yes I'm ridiculously patriotic) and will probably watch his match tonight, got nowt else to do!

Wonder what the odds would be at the bookies for one slam each for the top 4 mens. Murray for Australia, Nadal French, Federer Wimbledon and Djokovic USA.

You obviously didn't watch Henman during his years of being the hopes of British tennis, every one of his Wimbledon matches was a let down.
That's what I said! :heh:

How does a fan of Arsenal mean anything more than being a fan of Andy Murray or another tennis player? You affect the outcome of the game just as little for either one if you're at it and nothing you can do individually will affect anything about the team/player.

I don't think being a fan means more. I just think football for fans is a more involving sport.

Firtly there is vocal support, tennis you'll get the odd person shout "c'mon [player name]" but its a sport where you spectate quietly. Vocally you can encourage but you can do the opposite and intimidate an opposition.

Secondly theres funding, tennis fans go to spectate the sport, generally you pay to watch all the games on that court during the day, so it matters not to the tournament organiser who you are there to watch, football clubs rely fans of the team to fill their seats, randomers come and go, but the fans are the main source of income.

[My intentions weren't to start a debate, so I apologise now]

That's what I said! :heh:

Haha, although to be fair to you, one match each year was a let down (the one he lost).

You can't deny it was fantastic supporting him through the years and saying "oh well, maybe next year" year after year.

Dead Ringers did a fantastic sketch about him once but I haven't been able to find it anywhere since. :(

I love tennis. :) I don't watch it that often but when I do (mainly Wimbledon) As I forget when any of these other tournaments are on, I find it exciting to watch!

For the men I love Nadal:

nadal1_narrowweb__300x448,0.jpg

LOOK AT THE POWER

and

Tsonga!

r219029_857822.jpg

RAWR!

And for the women:

Jankovic

Jankovic1.jpg

and

Sharapova:

MariaSharapova.jpg

:grin:

Jankovic is soooo ugly, and since womens tennis is always a beauty contest Ivanovic wins everytime.

The only reason I like Jankovic is for the Jamie Murray - Jankovic "will they won't they?" the tabloids were pulling at Wimbledon a few years back.

I'm sure I've said it before, but I don't really like womens tennis because like Gizmo pointed out, its basically just a glamour contest. I kinda like Patty Schnyder, but she rarely wins anything... ah well...

Our local hero hewitt crashed out first round :( Its sad to see really. He obviously hasnt got what it takes to keep up with the new boys on the block anymore, but he still puts in 100% every game. Almost made the upset today, but alas, it wasnt to be :( I suspect he'll announce retirement soonish...

Well you guys let this thread die when you should have been enjoying Murray's early success... but now he's been beaten, ah well. :grin: Come on the Verdasco! Vamos!

Federer squeaked through in a five setter against Berdych, but at least he's still in there, up to the quarter finals. Allez!

As for the women, Patty Schnyder who I mentioned before went out early on. :( However Safina is still going strong and I've found another woman to support- Dokic! Now there's a blast from the past. Its been good to see her back... especially as she's been doing so well thus far! Its Safina v Dokic next, so I'll be hoping the winner of that one goes on to take the womens title.

I love Nadal, as he's the Tennis version of Carlos Tevez. Works hard, always battling, and he's just a pure Brute-force steam-rolling Tank. Look at those arms!

I love Nadal, as he's the Tennis version of Carlos Tevez. Works hard, always battling, and he's just a pure Brute-force steam-rolling Tank. Look at those arms!

Nah I hate Nadal. I wouldn't compare him to Tevez because while I don't mind the Tev that much (wish he played for a different club though...), Nadal is just a twat.

Nah I hate Nadal. I wouldn't compare him to Tevez because while I don't mind the Tev that much (wish he played for a different club though...), Nadal is just a twat.

Not really a fan of Nadal either. He takes so long to serve the ball. I've loled a few times at him getting a warning for taking so long. He only needs to throw the ball up.

Not really a fan of Nadal either. He takes so long to serve the ball. I've loled a few times at him getting a warning for taking so long. He only needs to throw the ball up.

Ha yeah. The amount of time he wastes is really annoying. Especially the way he picks at his bum. :nono:

Down to the semi's now for both men and women, here's how its shaped up:

Nadal v Verdasco

Roddick v Federer

Ideally for me, I'm looking a Federer v Verdasco final. :heh:

Zvonareva v Safina

Dementieva v Serena Williams

Don't really care about it as long as Safina wins the title. I heard that she's womens number one now which is great. I knew she had been getting better and better, but I didn't realise she was so close to eclipsing the very top players in the rankings. I hope she can stay at the top a while, win some slams and not turn into a glamour girl.

Nadal v Verdasco

Roddick v Federer

Zvonareva v Safina

In the mens game, Nadal or Roddick to win.

In the womens game, I've never heard of Zvonareva or Safina! where have they come from!

Serena Williams is a man, whilst Dementieva is a great player and an absolute babe!!

So Dementieva to win, and...

elena20dementievaasg005ro2.jpg

... new balls please!

Ha yeah. The amount of time he wastes is really annoying. Especially the way he picks at his bum. :nono:

Down to the semi's now for both men and women, here's how its shaped up:

Nadal v Verdasco

Roddick v Federer

Zvonareva v Safina

Don't really care about it as long as Safina wins the title. I heard that she's womens number one now which is great. I knew she had been getting better and better, but I didn't realise she was so close to eclipsing the very top players in the rankings. I hope she can stay at the top a while, win some slams and not turn into a glamour girl.

She isn't guaranteed.

Williams vs. Safina final

Champion will be No.1 and runner-up will be No.2; Dementieva will be No.4.

Williams vs. Zvonareva final

Williams will be No.1; Safina will be No.2 and Dementieva will be No.4.

Dementieva vs. Safina final

Champion will be No.1 and runner-up will be No.2; Williams will be No.4.

Dementieva vs. Zvonareva final

Dementieva will be No.1; Safina will be No.2 and Williams will be No.4.

I was rooting for Jankovic until Bartoli kicked her ass :(

Sign in to follow this