NEurope
fex

Cinema Ticket Prices

It's probably about £4.50 at the local odeon. Showroom is... similar. As is Cineworld... Yeah. I cannot remember the last time I bought any food at the cinema - as blackfox said, you have to be an idiot to not just buy stuff before you go in.

I'm all for a bit of piracy, but some movies deserve to be screaming in your face at mega-decibels from all sides. 25-foot femme fatales that could smother a pack of dogs in their bosoms... the easiest place to have sex outdoors with the least people noticing.

It's £10.90 a ticket at the cinema I work at. But then you do get lovely leather sofas to sit on, but still, it's extortion.

Would that be the cinema which they claim has the comfiest seats in Europe? Went to see Peter Pan there with family a few years back.

The Cineworld in Glasgow is just over a fiver with student discount I believe. Only ever go to the cinema if I'm going with a girl, total waste of money otherwise as you can watch it lying in bed at home for free.

I fully agree with buying food. Although woolies is gone so its not so easy where I live now. but for the price of one bag of popcorn I could buy (at woolies) a bag of popcorn, a coke, pick n' mix, and some form of choc bar and still have a few pence left over.

It varies with me. If i go to the Cinema before 11:30am, i get the tickets for £3 or £4 depending on who is serving (early bird special).

If i go later than 11:30am, its the usual £5 a ticket. After 6pm or 7pm, it goes to £5.50 a ticket. Food, if i have any which is usually nachos and a coke sets me back £5 (a deal i think, they are both large as well).

So in total before 11:30am its £9 and after 11:30am £10 in total for everything.

Cheaper than the cinema in town itself. The one i go to is in Spitty Park, Newport (Cineworld)

Only ever go to the cinema if I'm going with a girl, total waste of money otherwise as you can watch it lying in bed at home for free.

A) How?

B) Cinema is more atmospheric, epic, better sound, etc.

I probably budget about £30 for the cinema after buying some food. Don't really bother all that often but if it's a film I really want to see I'll pay the money.

Its extortianate down here in bournemouth. £8 for an adult i think. It takes the piss. It cost less than a fiver in Manchester/Birmingham, and if you had a student card it was like £3!

The trouble with Bournemouth is the one next to the arcade (can't remember what it actually is) is absolute crap. I went there once and the screen was about the size of my TV. Admittedly not all the screens are like that but it's still pretty poor. We always ended up driving out to Tower Park which is a bit of a hassle.

Think thats the ABC. I dont know, if you're walking up to them from Bournemouth the ABC is first, i know that, then the second one is Odeon. Its so confusing, they look exactly the same and all the staff wear Odeon uniforms =/

Tower Park is way better.

Best cinema experience i've ever had though is in the gold premier seats at Star City in Birmingham. It costs near £20 (i'm not sure though, i didn't pay) but you get to go in this amazing room with leather-recliner seats. There's only about 10 seats in the room so theres loads of space and you get waited on with beers and popcorn. So worth the added cost.

A) How?

B) Cinema is more atmospheric, epic, better sound, etc.

a) ;)

B) Meh, I have a big enough TV and 5.1 surround sound speakers. Being able to pause to get a drink/something to eat, not having anyone talking or standing up in front of you, no phones ringing, actually having a decent amount of leg room, being able to stretch out.

I fully agree with buying food. Although woolies is gone so its not so easy where I live now. but for the price of one bag of popcorn I could buy (at woolies) a bag of popcorn, a coke, pick n' mix, and some form of choc bar and still have a few pence left over.

Woolworths always used to save the day. I'd normally get a pick n' mix with mostly jelly beans and it would be cheap. Then one time I went to get a pick n' mix from the cinema, cost me a fiver and there wasn't all that much in the bag, where as from woolies, I would have much more.

I use the Cineworld unlimited card as well. It's a bargain. There are some months I don't end up going, or just going once or twice to get my money's worth but others, I'm never away from the place. One month, I went close to twenty times.

Only thing is, my local cinema doesn't have a 3D screen, so when the 3D movies come out, I have to go half an hour down the road to Ashton under Lyne which is no big deal as they don't come out very often.

hum, i used to get tickets for 4.50 as a student, now its like 5.60-6.00. costs to much!

havent bothered with food or drink in the cinema much latly. usualy i arive just before the screen starts so dont have time to pick owt up.

What also annoys me is that fact you pay for you ticket, then your subjected to 30 minutes worth of adverts before the film even starts. I don't mind the trailers there fine. But its the television style adverts that I'm being forced to watch. Whats even worse is they say the films starts 7pm, its more like 7.30 by time the movie starts.

I either want my cinema tickets heavily reduced if I'm going to have to watch adverts, or I pay full whack and they take them off completely. I pay my license fee to the BBC and in return I get ad-free telly. I receive channel 4 for free therefore accept that advertising is needed and I cannot complain.

What also annoys me is that fact you pay for you ticket, then your subjected to 30 minutes worth of adverts before the film even starts. I don't mind the trailers there fine. But its the television style adverts that I'm being forced to watch. Whats even worse is they say the films starts 7pm, its more like 7.30 by time the movie starts.

I either want my cinema tickets heavily reduced if I'm going to have to watch adverts, or I pay full whack and they take them off completely. I pay my license fee to the BBC and in return I get ad-free telly. I receive channel 4 for free therefore accept that advertising is needed and I cannot complain.

i was saying this to a friend a while ago. isn't advertising ment to help cover the costs? why is my ticket so expensive?

i'm the same, i dont mind trailers, but adverts? they are to far.

Don't get me started on the bloody film start time. It just makes planning after cinema activities bloody awkward, especially if you're meeting different people who haven't gone to the cinema with you after. I've made plans to meet people at the pub after seeing a film, obviously thinking 'right the film starts at 7:30 it's two hours long, it'll be finished at 9:30 I'll be at the pub at 9.45, but no. The film didn't start until 8:15 and so by the time I got to the pub my mates had buggered off somewhere else, I was not happy!

As for prices.... I think it's about £6.80 at my local cinema for a standard ticket.

Everyone knows the start time is half-an-hour early at least. Plan ahead next time Eddage!

I agree with the advert stuff though. In fact, on the flipside, i never watch BBC. I shouldnt have to pay the license for it when i dont watch it. It should be optional whether to have it switched on or not. I pay for Sky and i'm quite happy to sit through adverts on there.

I love trailers, and the adverts don't annoy me as much recently. I don't think I've had more than about 10 minutes of adverts in a good few years now.

Everyone knows the start time is half-an-hour early at least. Plan ahead next time Eddage!

I agree with the advert stuff though. In fact, on the flipside, i never watch BBC. I shouldnt have to pay the license for it when i dont watch it. It should be optional whether to have it switched on or not. I pay for Sky and i'm quite happy to sit through adverts on there.

Well I know now. But it was never always that way, there was once a time when the films started when they said, at least they did around here. That's why I was caught out when they started messing with them!

I hardly go Leicester Square anymore. You're looking at £14 a ticket.... What a joke.

I tend to go to the Odeon in Greenwich which was £8.50 on Friday when I went to see Slumdog.

Never buy stuff in the cinema anymore, that's just as much as a joke as the ticket prices. Always get some sweeties and some drink from the shop and smuggle them in via the missus bag.

However, sometimes I give in and get some popcorn :(

Cinema tickets are getting stupidly expensive. without a student ticket i have to pay upwards of around £7.20 :(

Thankfully I work at John Lewis and we can order our tickets for £4.50 each but we can only order 12 every 3 months and if you don't get any at the beginning of the 3 month period, they usually sell out and you're waiting again. Not cool.

I barely go anymore because of the cost. I'd probably go twice a month if it were cheaper, as it is, i go like once every few months when theres something worth seeing.

Their loss.

Always get some sweeties and some drink from the shop and smuggle them in via the missus bag.

Not sure what the policy is in London, but in a lot (certainly my main two locals) you can bring in other food. They did a thing on it on Watchdog like a year ago....can't remember exactly what they said though...but yeah.

Maybe if theres no sign up saying you can't bring in food, it could be protested. Its not national policy blah blah blah.

The price is a joke though. Its almost hilarious.

Not sure what the policy is in London, but in a lot (certainly my main two locals) you can bring in other food. They did a thing on it on Watchdog like a year ago....can't remember exactly what they said though...but yeah.

Maybe if theres no sign up saying you can't bring in food, it could be protested. Its not national policy blah blah blah.

The price is a joke though. Its almost hilarious.

The majority of the cinema's I go to have signs up about not bringing in your own food. Bollocks to them.

Nothing like a cheap bag of strawberry laces from the shops whilst watching a film in the cinema :)