NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
martinist

Installing extra hard drive

I am making a mess out of somthing that should be extreemly simple.

I bought an extra HDD on sunday and i can't seem to install the damn thing.

I hook up the SATA-II cable to the drive and the motherboard, and connect the power.

When i turn it on and go into the BIOS, the drive isn't there. Not in SATA 2,3,4 or 5.

I think i have this all hooked up correctly but My BIOS just doesn't seem to know its there.

Look at the jumper on the HDD (its a small piece of plastic on some pins). If this is set to master, its not going to work. Theres usually a diagram on the printed side of the disk. Set it to cable select (if you're feelin' lucky... punk) or slave.

DSC00513.jpg

^^^

There doesn't seem to be any kind of jumper on it.

DSC00514.jpg

DSC00515.jpg

^^^

That is basicly how i have it installed, nothing appears in the BIOS though

Oh jesus, sorry. I didn't read that the drive was SATA.

< idiot.

Okay, first things first. Check that the drive is getting power. Turn the computer on and put your ear close to the drive. Can you hear it booting/accessing?

>_> i've been on the phone to tech support for ages...still can't get it to work. He mentioned somthing about getting a USB device to run the drive from outside the case. Which would mean i wouldn't have to screw around with all this crap.

My back hurts lke hell from opening and closing this case. I don't want to just throw the drive away, the damn thing cost me a bundle. Is there any sort of USB device i can use to get this HDD to run from outside the case?

Yeah, a USB caddy... But either way it doesn't matter if the device isn't

working.

You should probably take this to a local computer shop (reputable and one that isn't PC world...) to see if they can install it for you.

Its an extremely easy procedure so if they quote over £40 that's a joke.

The thing is...its a Dell, and my power supply is way low. The guy said i may only have enough power to run a single drive at a time, with this I don't have to bother about power, so i may as well give it a shot.

Only computing shop we have around here is a place called Cypher. In a back ally neer the Nith, ran by an old man, i doubt i'll get anything out of him.

Got an external enclosure this afternoon, the drive has been initialized and is now formatting. I'm a happy chappy.

lock and delete this thread please

Sign in to follow this