NEurope
Jav_NE

The Wrasslin' thread

Anyone following AEW? I don't; but I caught Tyson's appearance the other day. Tyson is, as mad as it sounds saying this, a still very underrated fellow. He's often been thuggish; but he's got quite a good mind and a lot of hearty respect for power/strength in the old school warrior creed senses - and he had a respect for the 'art' of pro-wrestling. I'd love to see them get a boxer who take a few pulled but slightly stiff/shoot standup punches with Tyson into a big of a boxing setup turned wrestling madness match(you'd have inner circle and is it the pinnacle involved too ofc? it wont end as a 1 vs 1 clean that wont work a good story for Tyson or the firm cos if his legendary prowesss as an actual killer boxer).

Another load of WWE releases:

Braun Strowman, Aleister Black, Lana, Murphy, Ruby Riott and Santana Garrett.

Surprised by Strowman and Black. They looked like they were gearing up with something for Black and Strowman always seems to have been a favourite of theirs. I assume he must have just squandered one too many chances. From what I read he did have a bad attitude.

Wow. Very surprised over Strowman, they just repackaged Black and it seemed like it may have been good, not surprised by Lana nor Murphy, Ruby a bit as she and Liv seemed to be doing ok back as a team. 

Finally got around to starting Chris Jericho’s first autobiography and I’m really enjoying it. One of those ones like Bret Hart’s where I’m just flying through it because I can’t put it down.

• Like 1

Cancled my wwe account a few months ago due to a financial situation. Will need to resubscribe and continue watching. I stopped just before Over the Edge 1999 can't really remember the story lines very well. I think Val Venus was donig something with that woman who used to run around with Marc Merro. I'll get back into it in a week or so.

Spoiler

The crowd reaction was just insane. I may not following wrestling like I used to but I still love moments like this.

Edited by Happenstance

Tonight is one of my favourite annual PPVs (or should that now be “premium events” according to WWE terminology!?) - WWE Royal Rumble.  I’m excited as, on the face of it, it’s less predictable than some years. Excited by a Mickie James appearance too, and I can’t see WWE allowing it but I’d love to see her enter wearing the Impact title belt!

Ive been trying to avoid spoilers so I’m predicting Bianca Belair (or Ronda Rousey as surprise entrant) and Big E as the Rumble winners.  Here’s hoping it’s a good one though, especially with the high quality matches having taken place recently across all the various promotions.

2 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

@WackerJr what was your reactions to in after seeing it? I thought it was an OK show, Bit annoyed about the mens Rumble though.

I was underwhelmed by the event sadly.  I didn’t think it was a bad one by any means, it was solid even, just not particularly memorable for me.

I loved Mickie James’ appearance and well done to everyone involved for using her Impact theme and acknowledging her as their champ, it looked good on both companies.  I also thought the mixed tag & Women’s Title match were better than I was expecting, even though the winners were predictable, they all got a decent showing.

I agree completely on the Mens Rumble. Nobody ‘got over’ and I don’t think any wrestler looks any better than before they started.

Spoiler

Brock appearing and winning was such a letdown and just lazy.  I’m ok with him vs Roman at Wrestlemania, but it would’ve been easy enough to run a story for that to happen and to give someone else the rub of winning the Rumble.

I feel Kofi’s failed attempt pretty much summed up the Rumble - so much promise and could’ve been amazing, but the end result ultimately ended in disappointment.

14 minutes ago, WackerJr said:

I was underwhelmed by the event sadly.  I didn’t think it was a bad one by any means, it was solid even, just not particularly memorable for me.

I loved Mickie James’ appearance and well done to everyone involved for using her Impact theme and acknowledging her as their champ, it looked good on both companies.  I also thought the mixed tag & Women’s Title match were better than I was expecting, even though the winners were predictable, they all got a decent showing.

I agree completely on the Mens Rumble. Nobody ‘got over’ and I don’t think any wrestler looks any better than before they started.

Spoiler on Men’s Rumble winner (Hide contents)

Brock appearing and winning was such a letdown and just lazy.  I’m ok with him vs Roman at Wrestlemania, but it would’ve been easy enough to run a story for that to happen and to give someone else the rub of winning the Rumble.

I feel Kofi’s failed attempt pretty much summed up the Rumble - so much promise and could’ve been amazing, but the end result ultimately ended in disappointment.

Mixed tag was what I thought it would be. Not that it was bad, just expected. Roman and Seth was easily match of the night for me. I'm with you on the mens Rumble finish.

Spoiler

I can only assume that the plan was to have Haymen turn on Brock at Day 1, and for it all to be a ruse. As that didn't happen they needed to do something and for some reason give Brock the title then. Thus having the Haymen turn happen at the Rumble.

Brock already had his reason to then face or challenge Roman, he didn't need to win the Rumble for that to happen.

I don't mind Rousy winning the Rumble if it finally gives us the Becky/Rousey one on one match we should have got last a few years ago.

I didn't know how they were going to handle Mickie and her being another companies champ, but I'm glad that it was acknowledged and she got to have that.

I'm glad they didn't try to hide the fact that Kofi's feet did hit the floor. It was pretty clear and I don't think they could have got away with it.

• Like 1

Was thinking of re-subscribing to the WWE Network. I was watching from the start ot 1998. I stopped right before the Over The Edge PPV in 1999. I ended up shellingout for BT Sports last year to watch Smachdown and Raw but I didn't see the point since I wanted to watch what I remembered from when i was a kid. So I was watching those wrestling youtube shows like wrestling with regret and whatculture wrestling. I've also been watching reliving the war from wrestling bios. Really need to start getting back into it.

Kind of surprised given that they helped create AEW but to be honest they've barely been used for a while now and when they were it wasn't exactly must watch tv. Be interesting to see where they go next.

2 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Be interesting to see where they go next.

As soon as this came out there are loads of "Cody back to WWE" rumours coming out. I don't think he will unless he's got something big out of it. Even then I just don't know.

3 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

As soon as this came out there are loads of "Cody back to WWE" rumours coming out. I don't think he will unless he's got something big out of it. Even then I just don't know.

I’ll just never understand why he keeps going back. Vince loves screwing over the Rhodes family and I can’t see this being any different.

3 hours ago, Happenstance said:

I’ll just never understand why he keeps going back. Vince loves screwing over the Rhodes family and I can’t see this being any different.

The only reason I have seen that I think would work in his favour is getting the rights from McMahon for the Rhodes name, like fully to include his dads too. But why would Vince give that up so easily?

1 minute ago, BowserBasher said:

The only reason I have seen that I think would work in his favour is getting the rights from McMahon for the Rhodes name, like fully to include his dads too. But why would Vince give that up so easily?

I know he was recently allowed to start using Rhodes again but was it not all of it?

So i've been working my way through 1999 on the network. Just got through the RAW after Fully Loaded. Yove got a Big Show and Undertaker storyline where Kane is choosing between X-Pac and the Undertaker, so Undertaker is interfeering in most of Kane's matches. They're pushing HHH for the WWF title at Summer Slam so he's cutting a lot of promos about it. I think the match ends up being a triple threat match between Austin HHH and Mankind with Mankind winning the belt since Austin didn't want to drop the title to HHH.

The Acolytes became tag champions and start defending against the Hardey Boys on RAW the night after so I was really expecting them to retain, holding it for one night would just be a waste.

Jeff Jerred is walking around with Debora talking about how nobody is going to see puppies, guy became Intercontinental champion at the PPV after Edge won it from him at a house show apparently.

Mr McMahon is apparently "out of the company" after Austin won the first blood match but he comes back in like September so he's only really gone for two months.

There is also a Test and Stephanie McMahon story line going where Test is going out with Stephanie which will be abandoned soon because you know what happens.

Smackdown starts a week after Summer Slam so my watch time is pretty much going to double from then on.

Edited by martinist
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

I know he was recently allowed to start using Rhodes again but was it not all of it?

I think Vince still owns all the stuff for Dusty Rhodes, as NXT does the Dusty Classic Cup. Maybe Cody is wanting to get that trademark back in his family.

Despite having not watched WWE in years at this point I still tend to pick up their games so I'm just downloading WWE 2K22. I've heard good things about this version so I'm actually quite looking forward to playing it.

It is being given a lot of promos and adverts on their shows, and does seem to be getting some good things said. Don't think it's on Switch though so I probably won't get a chance to play. Haven't actually played one since probably GameCube days.

Well I'm enjoying it so far. Taking me some time to get used to the new counter system but one thing I'm really glad is back is the choice to have button mashing for kick outs. For some reason I could just never get the timing right the old way.

Only real complaint would be a knock against the WWE product I guess and say the roster is just a bit boring. I just did a Rumble and barely knew who anyone was and because they all seem to wear the same attire it just made it all the harder to figure out.

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Only real complaint would be a knock against the WWE product I guess and say the roster is just a bit boring. I just did a Rumble and barely knew who anyone was and because they all seem to wear the same attire it just made it all the harder to figure out.

Yeah, I'd say part from maybe the top 5 or so guys, if you don't watch the product you won't know them. They seem to have picked a lot of guys that just don't get TV time, have been released or they seem to have a lot of legends on it. Glad you seem to be enjoying it.

I'd love to give it a go, but I don't think they will be releasing any on Switch anytime soon after the debacle of the one they did put on it.

WWE Bring first Major Stadium Event to UK in 30 years

It's finally happening! WWE are bringing a major stadium event back to the UK since SummerSlam '92. The event will be at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff, Wales, on Saturday, September 3, 2022 and is being billed as one of the Premium Live Events (formerly PPV) so this isn't a one off event like we used to get.

The WWE page has a link to get presale register. I've signed up and am hoping that the prices won't be too much to get a pair. People are already booking hotels and stuff ahead of time, as it seems it may be a better option than driving right to the stadium, not sure what i'll do yet if I get some.

• Thanks 1

@BowserBasher A mate of mine sent me text about it yesterday. Like others you mentioned, he's already booked a hotel for himself, wife and kids. He's stupidly excited for the event. 

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

@BowserBasher A mate of mine sent me text about it yesterday. Like others you mentioned, he's already booked a hotel for himself, wife and kids. He's stupidly excited for the event. 

Is his wife as excited?