NEurope
Jav_NE

The Wrasslin' thread

Just watched the Smackdown segment that featured him and it looks like The Rock has lost a lot of bulk. Makes sense given how in the past he said it would be too hard to wrestle and still remain as big as he was. Dude is looking old now though. 

14 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Just watched the Smackdown segment that featured him and it looks like The Rock has lost a lot of bulk. Makes sense given how in the past he said it would be too hard to wrestle and still remain as big as he was. Dude is looking old now though. 

When fifty one years old *you* reach, look as good *you* will not, hmm?

• Haha 2

What a difference a week makes.

Spoiler

So after last week I think everyone knew that the WM kick off thing wasn't going to go the way they wanted. Only seen the recap on Smackdown but Roman said only he decides who he faces at WM, he chose Rock. Rock came out and was booed, crowd chanting we want Cody, seemed to say a few heel things. Cody came out, said no one tells him what to do and he wanted to face Roman at WM, words back and forth about the two wresting families, Rock said "you talk about Romans, your talking about mine" slaps Cody.

Onto Smackdown, HHH opens the show, says people don't seem to know who runs things, few digs at the Rock saying you don't just come in and make the rules. And that there is  only one person makes the choices, HHH. Says that WM main event will be Roman Vs Cody for the WWE title. 

I'd like to think this was all part of the storyline. And this was the plan all along as it looks like Rock is now part of the Bloodline, or at least in Romans corner now. Have Rock come in, try to sabotage the main event, they must have known the fans wouldn't have wanted it so use that to turn Rock heel to join Roman which then makes Cody's job even more difficult at WM and his eventual win (it really better happen now) even more of a huge moment. If it wasn't the case and HHH really has gone above the Rock on what was supposed to be a part of his deal to join the TKO board then that's some balls he has to do that. Either that or Rock knows that this is the right call and has altered his deal and we get Rock/Roman at some other point.

Either way, I'm glad we are getting the match that everyone wants as there wold have been some major backlash had it not happened, and to be fair, the crowd would have just shat all over Rock/Roman at WM if that did go ahead.

This really is the best time of the year for wrestling, but this is just extra spicy this year.

Been watching a few old wrestling clips on YouTube this evening and it's got me full of nostalgia. Kind of tempted to sub to the Network for a bit and rewatch the attitude era in it's entirety.

2 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Been watching a few old wrestling clips on YouTube this evening and it's got me full of nostalgia. Kind of tempted to sub to the Network for a bit and rewatch the attitude era in it's entirety.

Funny enough I've been doing the same but for the late 80's/early 90's era of WWF. I subscribed to the Network and have been watching through episodes of Prime Time Wrestling from 1989 and it's fantastic. One of my favorite moments I've caught so far, is Roddy Piper in one studio screaming at Rick Rude in another studio via a video feed. They threaten each other so much they decide to meet up, but end up going to each others location at the same time: (should be timestamped at 22 minutes in)

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 1

Well as usual I had no interest in buying the new WWE game and now it's coming up to release date I'll probably end up pre ordering it. I'm so weak 😆

Subscribed and started the rewatch. Was originally gonna begin with Summerslam 97 then work forward from there but decided to throw in Wrestlemania 13 first for Bret Hart Vs Austin.

• Like 2

Just sat and watched this classic. It's still amazing after all these years later.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

They did these again for the last WrestleMania that was in Hollywood, I didn't find them as great as these ones though. They weren't bad just didn't seem to have the same spark as these. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

They did these again for the last WrestleMania that was in Hollywood, I didn't find them as great as these ones though. They weren't bad just didn't seem to have the same spark as these. 

I haven't watched it properly in years and so I never knew this. I'll have to take a look.

I know it's been said time and time again but I really hate the amount of blurring on old WWF stuff. Tried out Showcase mode this morning on WWE 2K24 and along with any mention of WWF on belts and turnbuckles etc (which I thought the requirement for ended years ago after a deal was made with fake WWF?) but we've now also got Howard Finkel and Mean Gene blurred (Hebner I get). It's so distracting.

43 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I know it's been said time and time again but I really hate the amount of blurring on old WWF stuff. Tried out Showcase mode this morning on WWE 2K24 and along with any mention of WWF on belts and turnbuckles etc (which I thought the requirement for ended years ago after a deal was made with fake WWF?) but we've now also got Howard Finkel and Mean Gene blurred (Hebner I get). It's so distracting.

Why are they blurred out? Were they part of some scandal or something?

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Why are they blurred out? Were they part of some scandal or something?

Hebner was with him getting fired for selling merch separately from his car. I'm assuming Mean Gene and Finkel are license rights issues with both guys having passed away.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Hebner was with him getting fired for selling merch separately from his car. I'm assuming Mean Gene and Finkel are license rights issues with both guys having passed away.

Yeah, I knew about Hebner but thought I had missed something with the other two.

Sting's retirement match last night as well. Crazy career and longevity.

1*a4EFKuXnNfc5xuNGWpiqcQ.jpeg

• Like 1

Just sat and watched The Rock v Hogan. Forgot how back and forth the crowd were during that match. Moves that were used were garbage (Hogan was never great in the Ring) but the crowd made the match come alive 

Official WWE YouTube video are garbage. There's an advert every 2 mins.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Just sat and watched The Rock v Hogan. Forgot how back and forth the crowd were during that match. Moves that were used were garbage (Hogan was never great in the Ring) but the crowd made the match come alive 

Official WWE YouTube video are garbage. There's an advert every 2 mins.

That's a great example of the wrestlers being able to shift a match on the fly, especially the Rock (I think even Hogan tells this story) where they realise the crowd are cheering more for Hogan so the Rock effortlessly starts working more heel behaviour in.

• Like 1

Got me in the mood for later attitude era stuff (my plan to go through in order hasn't gone that well 😆). Think I might rewatch OSW's Wrestlemania X7 review.

• Haha 1

All this wrestling gaming and ppv watching has put me in the mood for a new wrasslin book. I was originally gonna get Bobby Heenan's book but it doesn't seem to have had an ebook release and physical copies seem a bit expensive so I went with the Titan series (Titan Sinking, Titan Shattered and Titan Screwed) which cover between 95 and 98 in the WWF. 

10 hours ago, Happenstance said:

All this wrestling gaming and ppv watching has put me in the mood for a new wrasslin book. I was originally gonna get Bobby Heenan's book but it doesn't seem to have had an ebook release and physical copies seem a bit expensive so I went with the Titan series (Titan Sinking, Titan Shattered and Titan Screwed) which cover between 95 and 98 in the WWF. 

Have you read Jim Ross' book? Apparently that's a good read. He has a new one out in May as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Have you read Jim Ross' book? Apparently that's a good read. He has a new one out in May as well.

I'd forgotten about that one actually. Had it on my wishlist for ages hoping it would get a 99p sale on kindle. Might get it when I'm done with these Titan books.