NEurope
Jav_NE

The Wrasslin' thread

6 minutes ago, bob said:

Is his wife as excited?

Probably. The whole lot of them love watching WWE and AEW.

36 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

@BowserBasher A mate of mine sent me text about it yesterday. Like others you mentioned, he's already booked a hotel for himself, wife and kids. He's stupidly excited for the event. 

Yeah, I'm excited, really hope I can get tickets. I have been to the very first Raw we had here and InsurreXion from way back. The last one I went to was NXT TakeOver London and that was just insane, so I can't imagine what 70,000+ people will be like.

I've been looking at hotels and prices don't seem silly yet. I want to wait to get tickets first though.

7 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Yeah, I'm excited, really hope I can get tickets. I have been to the very first Raw we had here and InsurreXion from way back. The last one I went to was NXT TakeOver London and that was just insane, so I can't imagine what 70,000+ people will be like.

I've been looking at hotels and prices don't seem silly yet. I want to wait to get tickets first though.

Nice! :cool: 

I've only been the once to one of those shows where they were pretty much all nobodies except Cena. It was a fun spectacle though--seeing them pull off those moves and slam each other around live is so much cooler than on telly. 

I'm hoping AEW get their UK plans back on track soon. They had announced plans for UK shows just before the pandemic hit so hopefully they'll get those sorted again.

Only ever live wrestling show I've been to was a Rev Pro/New Japan one a few years ago but that was great. Kinda wish I knew the wrestlers then like I do now because I had no idea who people like Okada, Sabre Jr, Osprey etc were and probably would have been a lot more excited 😆

Spoiler

KZ3rDoJ.jpg-wv78usvtprpW4t59hj_kU6M1-cZ-vvD5lgJRQ229L0uZL7Q3FdJTN7x6WBUF2Gr1oSAJoQUMSq0v4y617MLbLU.jpg

• Like 2

Didn't get presale, and am hoping I can maybe get some this weekend. I did notice that they seem higher than I imagined for the cheapest seats. £112 for the cheapest. I won't care that they are like right at the back as I think the atmosphere there is going to be insane no matter what, and I would love to be a part of that.

Been working my way through the network, started in 1998 and I'm currently at April 24th 2000 one week before Backlash where Steve Austin comes back. Been really fun so far, it's nice watching the stuff i remember watching as a kid. Still got another eight years worth of wrestling untill i'm caught up though lol.

11 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

Didn't get presale, and am hoping I can maybe get some this weekend. I did notice that they seem higher than I imagined for the cheapest seats. £112 for the cheapest. I won't care that they are like right at the back as I think the atmosphere there is going to be insane no matter what, and I would love to be a part of that.

The prices are insane! Double (at least) what we paid for Wrestlemania a few years ago. I know people will be desperate for this as we haven’t had a big event for so long but it really seems like they’re taking the piss a bit with the prices. I’m still kind of tempted though…

• Like 1

Think I may have just got lucky with a pair of tickets. Been checking TicketMaster a bit and noticed resale tickets are popping up now. Some costing more than others but just saw a pair of tickets for a little under £50 each. In the £112 seating area. So I've taken the plunge and gone for them. They are facing what will be the stage and are off to one side. Can't wait. Yeah it's far back and probably high up but I'm sure they will be fine.

Oh wow, never thought I'd see the day but Vince McMahon is retiring (totally nothing to do with his latest scandal I'm sure :p )

STAMFORD, Conn., July 22, 2022 – Vince McMahon today released the following statement:

“As I approach 77 years old, I feel it’s time for me to retire as Chairman and CEO of WWE. Throughout the years, it’s been a privilege to help WWE bring you joy, inspire you, thrill you, surprise you, and always entertain you. I would like to thank my family for mightily contributing to our success, and I would also like to thank all of our past and present Superstars and employees for their dedication and passion for our brand. Most importantly, I would like to thank our fans for allowing us into your homes every week and being your choice of entertainment. I hold the deepest appreciation and admiration for our generations of fans all over the world who have liked, currently like, and sometimes even love our form of Sports Entertainment.

“Our global audience can take comfort in knowing WWE will continue to entertain you with the same fervor, dedication, and passion as always. I am extremely confident in the continued success of WWE, and I leave our company in the capable hands of an extraordinary group of Superstars, employees, and executives – in particular, both Chairwoman and Co-CEO Stephanie McMahon and Co-CEO Nick Khan. As the majority shareholder, I will continue to support WWE in any way I can. My personal thanks to our community and business partners, shareholders, and Board of Directors for their guidance and support through the years. Then. Now. Forever. Together.”

• Thanks 2

Dude had to go. He was completely out of touch with his staff and audience and he continued to damage the brand with his antics. It will be interesting to see where WWE goes from here.

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Dude had to go. He was completely out of touch with his staff and audience and he continued to damage the brand with his antics. It will be interesting to see where WWE goes from here.

Yeah definitely.

Despite all of that though and basically thinking of him as evil I am finding it a bit sad. Mostly thinking about the 80s and 90s stuff I grew up on but those parts of WWF I'll continue to be grateful for.

3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Yeah definitely.

Despite all of that though and basically thinking of him as evil I am finding it a bit sad. Mostly thinking about the 80s and 90s stuff I grew up on but those parts of WWF I'll continue to be grateful for.

Absolutely. I mean, his feuds with Austin and him playing the bad guy for a lot of the Attitude era was always amazing to watch. Him and his team produced something very special back then that hasn't been replicated since.

I think had he just swallowed his pride and stepped aside years ago then the WWE would be in far better shape than its in now. 

• Like 1

Taking all the current stuff out the equation, if it wasn't for Vince, would the wrestling industry be the way it is now? I'm sure someone would have done something similar, but Vince taking the then WWF national and international was huge at the time when the wrestling work was territorial and seems to have a thing to keep it that way between all territories. In the 80's and 90' he and Hogan made wrestling mainstream and it hit a whole new set of people, it had gone from it's carney days and something that was just for a very niche group, to a spectacle with WrestleMania and the showbiz that he bought to it.

His on screen Mr McMahon character was the biggest heel of the Attitude era and one of the top heels of all time. You could say he made Stone Cold the mega star he was just because of that feud. He had a few other great feuds and always seemed to be there. 

It seems that reading or seeing documentaries that he helped a lot of guys become who they are today, and it's always been known that he would do stunts/spots before he would ask the wrestlers to do them himself. 

He bought a lot to the wrestling world, did he overstay? Maybe. But everyone knew he would be doing that job until the day he died. WWE was his masterpiece. I'm sure whoever takes over full control, be that Steph or HHH one day, I think the WWE will be in good hands.

• Like 1

So I see Triple H has now been made Head of Creative.

It's going to be an interesting year for the WWE. I doubt they will change things too quickly, there were rumours they weren't going to just yet to keep shareholders happy but I would love to see a big mix up in the entire company. Everything has been stagnant for far too long.

So did anyone actually watch SummerSlam? Pretty much shows HHH is running it from 

Spoiler

IO SHIRAI being called up (Now IYO SKY) and shock of the night for Dakota Kai resigning both are now in a stable with the return of Bayley

Also the Last Man Standing match between Brock and Roman was actually deserving of the LMS gimmick. What a battle and a wreck and possible the new best ring spot ever.

We also seem to have our Clash at the Castle main event with Drew as number one contender, so I really hope they pull the trigger and give us the ending we deserve.

I'm not at the point yet where I'm willing to start watching WWE again but I'm keeping more of an eye on it now that Vince has gone. If it looks like things are actually picking up then I might finally resub.

Been getting back into 2000's WWE i'm about a week or so away from King of the Ring 2000. Very nice three man tag mach against the rock, kane nad the undertaker against vince, shane and HHH. The stuff I really remember is from 2001 onwards though.

Never really watched any NJPW myself but I did hear about Anoki a few years ago where he was slapping random members of the public to give them his "fighting spirit" the line was way outside the ring. Real shame about the guy.

17 hours ago, martinist said:

Been getting back into 2000's WWE i'm about a week or so away from King of the Ring 2000. Very nice three man tag mach against the rock, kane nad the undertaker against vince, shane and HHH. The stuff I really remember is from 2001 onwards though.

Ooh that's like prime Attitude Era stuff. Some great wrestling then.

OK I know there's not much interest in this thread for todays WWE, but if anyone has been keeping up, the change in leadership is really paying off. Weekly shows are being praised and the stories are actually making sense. Commentators are now making calls to other federations that wrestlers have been in, and even NXT is being mentioned when it comes to those that were in there too. 

One of the most talked about things in wrestling at the moment though is the whole White Rabbit stuff going on in WWE. It started with just a song being played at live event. Nothing in that, they do it all the time, but then it was like every live event and people started recording it and putting it on social media. Then during the song, you'd get eerie red lighting accompanying it. Things are now bleeding into the weekly shows, with small things such as the lights going out for a second and a QR code getting shown. Which has been sending people all over to try to decipher the clues in it. The general census is that this is all tying to Bray returning. But this is easily one of, if no the best, returns of anyone to WWE, or possibly any federation.

I could just never get into Bray Wyatt. There's something about him that never clicked for me and then The Fiend just annoyed me. No selling is one of my big wrestling pet peeves so I was happy when he was gone.

So tonight is my 2nd favourite event of the wrestling calendar: WWE Royal Rumble.

Despite some exciting moments & surprises over the past couple of years (Mickie James & Christian for example) I’ve been disappointed overall.  Here’s hoping tonight can get back to the fun, unpredictability & surprises that this event can bring.

My predictions are for Cody Rhodes to win the Mens, with Rhea Ripley winning the Females.  They surely too favourites for each?  I know there are rumours of The Rock and Stone Cold and while I’d love to see them, I think they are just rumours.

Still, surprises I would love to see, despite their unlikeliness, include Nick Aldis, Mickie James, Matt Cardinal, Chelsea Green, and Dark Asuka.

Watch me look back on this post in the morning and how wrong I was about it all…. 😂

15 hours ago, WackerJr said:

So tonight is my 2nd favourite event of the wrestling calendar: WWE Royal Rumble.

Despite some exciting moments & surprises over the past couple of years (Mickie James & Christian for example) I’ve been disappointed overall.  Here’s hoping tonight can get back to the fun, unpredictability & surprises that this event can bring.

My predictions are for Cody Rhodes to win the Mens, with Rhea Ripley winning the Females.  They surely too favourites for each?  I know there are rumours of The Rock and Stone Cold and while I’d love to see them, I think they are just rumours.

Still, surprises I would love to see, despite their unlikeliness, include Nick Aldis, Mickie James, Matt Cardinal, Chelsea Green, and Dark Asuka.

Watch me look back on this post in the morning and how wrong I was about it all…. 😂

Felt it was a good show. Rumbles were pretty much called for a while and probably went right. But the storyline right now is The Bloodline and if Sami doesn’t come out of this with a title I’m going to be very disappointed. They have all been killing it lately but Sami revitalised this story and is probably the most over guy on the roster right now. 
The ending to the show just shows that. Best 20 minutes of a show for a long time, simply great storytelling. Not many people can get that chant and it actually mean something. But damn that was something else. This needs the ending we all deserve and not the one just for the rumble winner. 

• Like 1

Well there we go then, looks like Endeavour have bought WWE and will be merging it with UFC. Vince will be staying on to run the new company with two others. Was really hoping he'd get forced out.

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Well there we go then, looks like Endeavour have bought WWE and will be merging it with UFC. Vince will be staying on to run the new company with two others. Was really hoping he'd get forced out.

Saw this today too, they are not exactly merging it with UFC. It's more that the two brands will be run under the Endeavour company, from that I've read anyway. As of now it seems that its business as normal and no major changes to how things are being run though.

Anyone else watch WrestleMania. Possibly one of the best in recent years even with a couple of wrong depictions in my opinion.