NEurope
Slaggis

Dvd not wanting to play in my Laptop...

I'm trying to watch United 93, but everytime I put it in my laptop (Dell 1520, pretty powerful laptop) it freezes any video player that I attempt to play it with.

I can play the other DVD's I bought yesterday, and my older ones but not this one. It's the right region and all that jizz, so does anyone have any clue as to why it doesn't play? (It sound like it's attempting to load, then stops - and yes the disk is clean with zero scratches).

With a computer, you're not going to have to worry about region encoding, so it wouldn't have anything to do with that. Is the software you're using to play the DVD up to date?

With a computer, you're not going to have to worry about region encoding, so it wouldn't have anything to do with that. Is the software you're using to play the DVD up to date?

Yes you are. Drives still have region encoding on them, you can change it up to 5 times then it becomes permanent. Try having a look at the cpu usage when playing that dvd compared to others. For some reason it may be hogging up your cpu resources.

I've tried windows media player, the dvd player that comes with the pc and media player classic and each time the computer freezes and I have to restart windows explorer.

WMP and MPC aren't usually used to watch DVDs are they?

Can you try VLC from videolan.org?

Yes you are. Drives still have region encoding on them, you can change it up to 5 times then it becomes permanent. Try having a look at the cpu usage when playing that dvd compared to others. For some reason it may be hogging up your cpu resources.

They do, but not in the same way DVD players do.

I would say decoder, but since it's playing other movies that's probably not it. WMP will usually tell you if a codec is needed, and a DVD shouldn't need one regardless.

Really I'd go with what DCK said and try VLC. Another option could be trying Dvix or Winamp, winamp isn't that great for videos though.

oh and yes DCK I use WMP to watch movies :)

They do, but not in the same way DVD players do.

As I said, you can't change it up to 5 times. Which you obviously can't do on a DVD player.

I would say decoder, but since it's playing other movies that's probably not it. WMP will usually tell you if a codec is needed, and a DVD shouldn't need one regardless.

Really I'd go with what DCK said and try VLC. Another option could be trying Dvix or Winamp, winamp isn't that great for videos though.

oh and yes DCK I use WMP to watch movies :)

Yeah, I would say WMP is something a lot of people use to watch movies on.

Anyway, I already tried VLC, I just forgot to mention it. *facepalm*.

Still not working. I looked at how much CPU is was using, and it seemed about the same as the others. Really odd. It works perfectly in a DVD player.