NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
tapedeck

What Does Wii Need Next?

OK so this is all down to personal opinion. Could be interesting to see what each of us seems to want from our gaming system too! I'll make this simple by breaking it down into areas most people will probably talk about...

*NOTE: This is all about what we want from Wii...not where Wii currently lays in the current climate as per my where Wii stands thread.*

Online:

After 2 years we've got voice chat and we've seen Nintendo's last few major 1st party franchises really hammer home some great online facets (Mario Kart in particular). We've also seen a commitment to updating online games ala Animal Crossing DLC and Mario Kart Competitions. It's fair to say that Nintendo have really improved their online setup. Maybe they finally see it as something that actually matters? But do they still need to improve? Do they need to take a leaf out of MS and SONY's camp? Would Wii suit achievements/trophies of some sort? Will the F/C system forever hold Wii down?

Games:

Nicely, we've seen a commitment from SEGA to deliver exclusive mature content to Wii in 2009. Madworld and house of the Dead are looking like fabulous titles and of course there is The Conduit launching in 2009.

Then there are the teasers Nintendo gave us in October. Sin and Punishment 2, Punch Out! These are just two titles that traditional gamers may clamour for. And of course, those rumours of staple franchises such as Pilotwings/Star Fox/Kid Icarus/Zelda/Mario Galaxy 2 just won't die neither. Then there is EA - a company whom have completely changed with Wii. (For cash or not...you decide.) Will EA continue to heavily support Wii in 2009? Who else will stand out this year? Who do you want to stand out? Squeenix/Namco/Konami? or do we need the western developers to start making better Wii games? Codemasters/Ubisoft etc...

The Console:

Does Wii need a game like The Conduit to really show traditional gamers what it can do? Super Mario Galaxy is still the pinnacle of graphics for the system. Does that matter to you? Is it about time developers started to get the best out of the system? Afterall, it could be argued that there are only a handful of titles which look better than Gamecube games.

My Opinion:

I'm more than happy with Nintendo's online setup. IM would be nice from the dash but meh...I solo game mostly.

To me, in 2009, Wii needs to prove that 3rd party franchises can be established and then continued on the format. Getting a Boom Blox sequel is a great start. Too often have we seen innovative titles like Z&W and Eledees get cast aside as one-offs. These titles are astoundingly original and they deserve sequels. Rome wasn't built in a day and all that jazz...

I can't wait to see what this year brings us.

However, I also think Wii needs MORE staple Nintendo franchises this year. Good ones. Not titles like Star Fox Assault!

Yes, Wii needs to keep 'fresh' (which it will thanks to the (surely, incoming) balance board support and motion plus peripheral). It deserves more than Gamecube remakes but if this brings in money - fair enough. I just hope we see Nintendo pouring some of that money into more traditional games. (Which I'm sure we are all certain is actually the case.)

What about you? Thoughts as ever! : peace:

What about you? Thoughts as ever! : peace:

Playing the Wii is like making love to an..... incredibly ugly, facially disfigured woman.

What's next for the Wii? A replacement that has graphics that don't make you feel like being sick all over your lap. Any of my favourites like F-Zero are simply wasted on the Wii, because the hardware is obsolete and the Wii Remote doesn't work.

- Get the Wii remote to actually work

- Upgrade the console to 4 year old technology

- Pay developers as much as it takes to replace their gamez with games

- Develop an in house 1080p 130fps (Sony style) F-Zero with lasers and 50 player online deathmatches.

I think with Nintendo's online strategy, it better suits younger players. I find it a bit of a pain having to trade codes but I'm sort of used to it now. Basically, all they need to do is streamline it a bit. You know, one FC for the whole console and all online games played on it and that's attached to your chosen Mii. I do feel that having an FC for every game and a separate one for the console does hold it back a little from being a proper online gaming device. I'm hoping this FC trend is just a tester for their next console where they'll do something like I have suggested.

As for achievements/trophies, I'd love to see Nintendo expand upon what they set up in Smash Bros Brawl. I don't want a number sitting next to my name for accomplishing something in a game. I'd much prefer that for accomplishing it I unlocked something in the game and if they applied this across their titles, it would be good. It would be a way to get more people to play the games more just to unlock those little extras, be it music or characters.

Now games. I think what SEGA is doing is great and I believe that EA have the Wii format as the basis for all of their sports titles now (believe this was the case for the latest set) so I can only presume that they'll build upon that this year. We've seen quite a bit of attention from Japanese developers who are willing to make unique, console exclusive titles for the Wii, with there being many set to get a release this year. I do think though that the likes of Konami and Square-Enix do need to do something. Konami having done overly much. They've given us two fantastic games in Elebits and Dewy's Adventure but apart from that their other output has been pretty substandard. I'm not asking for a Metal Gear title on the Wii, although it'd be nice, but I think they just need to put more work into their titles or continue to be original with things like the two good titles they've released. Square-Enix have given us Chocobo Dungeon so far and while it's not a bad title, it's not really the game most people'd want on the Wii. We've got FFCC: Crystal Bearers coming at some point (dare I say this year in Japan) but not much else. They've taken to the DS in a big way so I do expect them to shift their focus slightly to the Wii, perhaps when the FF XIII titles are done.

As for Western developers, they need to start bringing stuff to the Wii, and not these crappy Catz or Dogz titles. Ubisoft say they are working hard to produce quality Wii titles but they aren't showing any of this effort with their current released. We'll probably have to wait until the release of Red Steel 2 to see if they have upped their quality. I'd definitely like to see them give the Wii Beyond Good and Evil 2. As unlikely it is from the teaser trailer they showed, it's still very much possible and could work out extremely well for them. Where they'd be taking a huge gamble making the game for the HD consoles and running the risk of it possibly falling on it's face again sales wise releasing on the Wii would have a lower risk and could possibly yield greater return for them. Plus, the controls of the Wiimote for the camera and disk launcher are perfectly suited. We are starting to see a slight shift in the Western developers' mind frame, however many still see it as the console to release a quick cheap 'casual' title on. Hopefully, from GDC, E3 and Leipzig, we'll see a great input of bigger franchise titles from the western developers.

As for Nintendo, they are focusing on two halves at the moment. They've cornered the 'casual' market and have a loose grip on the 'hardcore' but it is in the 'hardcore' that they need to focus now. Their October conference was great and we can look forward to oads of quality titles from them this year (personally, all I care about is S&P2 and as long as that gets released in Europe I'll be happy with that) but I do hear people talking a lot about new Zeldas and Marios. Yes, they'll come eventually but I really don't think there is any need to rush them out. Personally, I think they should revisit some of their older, untouched franchises, like Kid Icarus or Ice Climbers or anything else. Perhaps they could even go out of their way to team up with third parties to get modern new entries into old franchises held by those 3rd parties (a new Blaster Master title would be great on WiiWare for example).

Anyways, I've rambled on for too long so I'll wrap up here.

This is easily my biggest gripe with the Wii and I think the panel on GTs Bonus Round got it right when they said that online play wasnt a big part of Nintendos plan when creating the machine. The FC system is appalling, it would have been alright if the console had 1 code say your sytems code and then that would be that but for every game to have a seperate one is very annoying.

The only thing I would like Nintendo to nick off the 360 is to have a setup where you can see what everyone is playing and be able to contact your friends instantly. This would make it a hell of alot easier to organize races on say Mario Kart or fights in Brawl. Sure you can just pop on the net but if your like me who has a PC down stairs and the Wii upstairs its too much of a hassle.

Im hoping that a 3rd party releases a headset for the Wii. Im not a big fan of Wii Speak at all due to it giving off too much of an echo ( depends on the setup ) and no offense to alot of people but I dont want to hear some 2 year old shouting on in the background especially if a game like Monster Hunter uses it as you really need to concentrate on whats going on when fighting.

Games

I think 2009 is looking like a killer year when it comes to games. Looking back 2008 wasnt that bad but it as Tapedeck said it would be nice to have some 1st party big guns to play. Im personally hoping we get some RPGs this year, yeah there have been plenty announced but whether they make it over here is another story. This generation has been very poor for us RPG fans but the Wiis lineup is very promising.

Speaking of games that need to come out over here I really want to hear from Capcom in regards to Monster Hunter. With MHG announced im hoping they do the decent thing and release it over here aswell. You people have no idea how much I love the series and if even if the MHG port gets a release I will play it to death despite playing the PSP version til my fingers bled :)

Overall

Im happy with the Wii at the moment ( still prefer my 360 ) especially with the 1st quarter titles we are getting aswell. Is it a classic console for me? At the moment I would say no. It has a LONG way to go for me to put it in the same league as the NES/SNES/N64 but then the console is only 2 years old and I think this year will see a shift from developers, gone will be the mini game complations and hopefully what will be left are titles that really do the console justice.

@ Pyxis - :shakehead Do you have a Wii? Cause if so, you'd know that the Wiimote works fine. The console may not have the hardware to compete with the 360 or the PS3 (which I'm sure is what you were moaning about when talking about it being obsolete) but it's perfectly appropriate. That attachment rate for HDTV's and HD in general isn't really that high at the moment so if you think about it, it was a smart move to for Nintendo not to go with HD. As for F Zero on the Wii, it wouldn't be wasted. Not all Wii titles have to use the Wiimote and I'm sure that if, or it really should be when, F Zero appears on the Wii, it'll allow you to use a Gamecube controller. While I agree that the Wiimote wouldn't be appropriate for playing F Zero due to the reaction speeds needed to play it, the hardware for running it is perfectly fine.

@ Pyxis...

I think it was an ironic statement. I think so... Unless the human condition has considerably deteriorated even more so over the years.

Lets not start nit picking about what people think about the Wii. If they feel like that then fair enough, they are entitled to their opinion. Lets keep this thread positive.

Honestly it needs nothing. It just needs to keep making Nintendo obscene amounts of money for the next few years while they are elbows deep in the development of the Super Nintendo II

Playing the Wii is like making love to an..... incredibly ugly, facially disfigured woman.

That cracked me up, lol. :laughing:

What I want from the Wii.

Decent efforts of the developers in terms of graphics and controls.

So many games don't recognize movements I make in one direction that work in the other. For instance swinging the Wiimote left is hardly ever recognized but swinging it to the right is most of the time.

I want an online lobby. I have to have the laptop besides me in order to properly arrange something with friends when I try to play online.

Games-wise im quite happy with the content although I'd rather have the next Zelda (or Kid Icarus or whatever) instead of four casual titles but with things like Sin & Punishment 2 on the horizon I think it's looking good.

Ninty should also open up the Mii system for any dev to use.

Very quickly because I'm busy.

ONLINE:

What I want?

- Well, as everyone else, the banishment of multiple friend codes would be a start; what we're Nintendo thinking, there's no logic to i, just lazy lazy thinking.

- Be able to customise my Miis

- Nintendo's take on achievements/trophies

- To be honest I'd like their takeon Home too, but I just think it's impossible with the Wii, it's so hard to set up games etc. it would be great to make it easier

- For wiiconnect 24 to actually be on 24/7. The wii being always online would be great, thats what was supposed to happen....they lied

GAMES:

- I was very happy with the games in 2008, just disappointed with the end of the year and the 'effort' put in to Animal Crossing, which is a joke.

- The 3rd party support seems to be coming, great news, I think more and more of them will come to the Wii. Would like to see some Eastern games come over (Capcom Vs and Taiko Drum Master for e.g.)

- And then a whole batch of Nintendo goodness, and a BIG one for next xmas. Punch Out, S&P2 is a start. Pilotwings, Pikmin 3, Kid Icarus, Galaxy 2 would be amazing!! A look at Zelda Wii for 2010 would be great too!!

- Loads of new experiences with the BB and motion+. I love Wii Fit, and Shaun White and all the motion controls; for all this to be expanded upon is very exciting to me. First and third party developers better take advantage of them!! I mean, the balance board could be used in so many great (optional) ways, like for lightgun games, suing it to lean round walls, or dodge bullets etc. (wasn't there an arcade lightgun game that did something similar?)

@ Pyxis - :shakehead Do you have a Wii? Cause if so, you'd know that the Wiimote works fine. The console may not have the hardware to compete with the 360 or the PS3 (which I'm sure is what you were moaning about when talking about it being obsolete) but it's perfectly appropriate. That attachment rate for HDTV's and HD in general isn't really that high at the moment so if you think about it, it was a smart move to for Nintendo not to go with HD. As for F Zero on the Wii, it wouldn't be wasted. Not all Wii titles have to use the Wiimote and I'm sure that if, or it really should be when, F Zero appears on the Wii, it'll allow you to use a Gamecube controller. While I agree that the Wiimote wouldn't be appropriate for playing F Zero due to the reaction speeds needed to play it, the hardware for running it is perfectly fine.

Yep, I had a Wii and sold it, because when I had it, there were no good games on the horizon and I found the controller really difficult to use. I didn't like aiming at the sensor bar instead of the screen and having to sit 2 metres away from my 20 inch TV in order to get the remote to work with the sensor bar. There are other things I didn't like about the remote and I really wondered whether it was just me or not and I don't think I'll ever find out if things have improved unless the Wii drops below £100 and comes with Motion Plus. I would be really disappointed if I bought another Wii to then find out that the new games coming out now still have dodgy controls... Argghh!!! It's too much money to make the risk and it really really sucks for me, because I'm a huge Nintendo fan and I'm having to skip a home console generation. I wouldnt mind the graphics if the console wouldn't cost so much.

The Wii controller was originally being developed for the GameCube and I think we would be in a much better situation now if the Wii Remote was the actual controller for the Gamecube launch (yep, the idea wouldnt have been around then, but it would have been great if it was). If that was the case, hardcore gamers would have chosen 3rd party games on the GameCube format back when Nintendo actually had 3rd party support because the gaming experience would have been unique and by now, we would have a more refined controller and a GameCube repacement with decent specs. The GameCube would have had the Xbox market all wrapped up.

The main thing I want is for games to do something which controls that make it impossible to do on another console. I've no real interest in the casual range of games, I'd rather play FPS's on the PS360 (Good online / graphics > Controls for me), and thus far I don't think any of Nintendo's offerings have really done anything I couldn't have done with a GameCube control, albeit if the motion and pointer slightly added to the experience.

I just want more Zack and Wiki's and er... innovative software.

A few RPG's wouldn't go amiss although I'm skeptical as to whether they'll feel any better then the host I played on the PS2 last gen, or whether the Wii controls will add anything to them.

At the end of the day I just want games that I would actually go out and buy, which hasn't happend since Smash Bros, and really hasn't got much on the horizon for me either.

Honestly it needs nothing. It just needs to keep making Nintendo obscene amounts of money for the next few years while they are elbows deep in the development of the Super Nintendo II

QFT.. The Wii is the most successful console of this generation. I also think that Shigsy is getting less and less interested in making games. He has done Pikimin because he is into gardening and has turned the Wii Remote into a banjo because he loves his banjo.. What's next?

Better Online is a must IMO

F**K FC's, there just ridiculous.

Obviously better effort from 3rd party developers, as many people have mentioned. No more GameZ.

About Achievements/Trophies, i don't think they will ever happen on the Wii.

Pyxis, then why post in here? You haven't played the Wii in a long time and have come in just to slag it off. Please leave and let this thread continue its intended action.

Oh, and Nintendos storage solution better be bloody good!!

The Wii is a perfect 'second' console. In an ideal world, the PS360 would be capable of everything the Wii can do, but its not. So most gamers have a HD console, then the Wii as an added 'extra'. When I want to have a serious gaming experience, I play my PS3, pop in CoD4, see who is online, invite some friends to my game and chat using my wireless headset. Although I love that, I don't want that all the time, sometimes I just want to relax on my sofa, gather a couple of family members, and have a laugh on Mario Kart. So what does the Wii need next? IMO, nothing. Just expand and refine what it does now.

The cool thing about NINTENDO® is that they always deliver and never let their fans down. No matter how long it takes, their cast of characters/franchises is just something that Sony and Microsoft lack BIG TIME for me.

The cool thing about NINTENDO® is that they always deliver and never let their fans down.

Thats HIGHLY debatable

Online:

Drop the Friendcodes immediatelly. Then add a messenger channel, which enables you to see what friends are online, and what they're playing, and chat. You get access to a message board, and there'll be personal information, like the appearance of your Mii, age, email and acheivements.

Games:

Nintendo increase emphasis on their old franchises. Nintendo also make sure to get third/second parties to fill upp the gaps in the Wii game library.

If I'm blunt, I would just like Nintendo to keep to their word on what is happening with the Wii. Some of the ideas that were ''coming soon'' for the wii just haven't come into place. That annoys me. Nintendo seem to have become lazy due to the profits they are making.

People seem to believe that the 360/PS3 "talk to everyone" system is without flaws? I understand why nintnedo use them and kinda agree with the decision, though tweaks can be made.

I hope mariokarts system of being able to add people with a confirmation message rather than straight code swapping is made standard with wii releases. A Metriod:Hunters style rivals list would be welcome. Even with the PS3/360 system, finding a good game is still a hit and miss affair, when you find one it would be nice to be able to play them again without giving them the preivilages given to friends.

Setting up games is still a little bit of a pain. I dont use it as much as i should do but the message board and Connect 24/7 help with being able to set times for games but the idea of a channel where you can see who is online playing what for those inpromtue play sessions would be nice.

Games

As I've got older I have seemed to become more excited by the design behind games so whilst im interested in the next itterations of franchises, its the games that will play with conventions and do something new that Im excited for. With the motion+ on the way, Im excited for some great new gameplay experiences.

In my mind the Wii has huge potential for an RTS that seems not to be on the radar yet. Playing ProEvo gets me in the mood for a hugely fast paced RTS.

Something that I feel I am missing from the Wii is a game to truely get involved in, something with real depth of story and character development.

P.S.

dazzy - i didnt understand your comment on the 24/7 not being 24/7 (not as sarky as it sounds)

Oooh and ninty announced the storage solution at TGS, playing content off the SDcard. I think this is a pretty nifty solution as it is low cost, fill one and you can cheaply get more. If it was a HD I could see it being overpriced (like the 360's) and people calling Ninty out for profiteering.

F-Zero with lasers

These three words discount anything you've previously said, and result in my desire to see you burn.

Online:

No more friend codes. They just make it hard to find your friends. The other day I was trying to get connected with someone in Animal Crossing. I had to find my friend code and give it to them, and now I have to wait for them to send me back theirs. I should have to type in their username and then they should get a thing to confirm that they want to add me as well. If Iwata is so concerned about his daughter getting abducted by some pedophile she met playing Mario Kart, I think he's rich enough to hire bloody Chris Hansen (SP) as a body guard for her.

Games:

The Conduit NEEDS to do well to show developers that hardcore games do sell on the Wii as long as they're good. Its really only 3rd party games that the Wii is lacking and there are already some great 3rd party games for it, so its going in the right direction.

In terms of first party games, I will quote what I said in the "How Wii Stand" thread:

Nintendo actually only has 1 casual team (EAD 2 I think) who have been responsible for Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Animal Crossing, Wii Music, and Now Wii Sports Resort. Just about all of their teams are still focused on hardcore games and a few of them on bridge titles. The reason people think Nintendo aren't developing for the core anymore, is most of those teams released games in late 06/07/early 08. And since the kind of game we're talking about takes 2+ years to make, it seems that Nintendo isn't releasing any games, well, thats all going to change next year and in 2010 too, when these teams finish their projects and release them.

We've already heard about Sin & Punishment 2, Punch Out Wii, Dynamic Slash, Mario & Luigi 3, and Cosmic Walker. We also know Zelda, Pikmen, Kid Icarus, and something from the Mario Team are coming. Genius Sonority also by now probably have something just about done. And Retro should have a project announced this year.

Hardware:

Its good that developers like High Voltage are beginning to prove that the Wii isn't just a repackaged Game Cube. HD would be nice, but for now isn't really that big a deal. It will come with the next console. And that should be out around when HD really becomes important. Wii games can still look great on a 50" TV provided you buy a set of component cables. While games for other consoles might look better and have more features, some of the control schemes for Wii games have been good enough to convince me that good controls can replace the things that only the HD consoles have.

The Wii hardware wise, is missing very few things. All that really needs to be added to the console is proper storage, and hopefully that comes in the form of proper SD card support in the spring.

Overall:

The only thing Wii needs next is continued and perhaps improved support from 3rd parties. As I've already mentioned, the Nintendo games are still coming, its just the teams all seemed to release their games at the same time and so while they're working on the next games, it looks like there's nothing coming. The Nintendo teams aren't sitting around playing Brawl, they're hard at work on the next great experience. I've played my Wii more frequently in the last 6 months than I ever have since I got the console, and with all the games it looks like we're going to get this year, I don't think thats about to change.

- Get the Wii remote to actually work

- Upgrade the console to 4 year old technology

- Pay developers as much as it takes to replace their gamez with games

- Develop an in house 1080p 130fps (Sony style) F-Zero with lasers and 50 player online deathmatches.

-They did that in 2006.

-Why would they just discontinue the console mid lifespan and release a new one?

-If you're only going to look at shovel-ware and not look at all the great games coming in 2009 why post?

-Because the Wii can render 1080p at 130 FPS quite easily right? Frame rates don't need to be that high, the human eye can't even see that fast. And why should Nintendo try to be like Sony. Look at how poorly the PS3 is doing. And F-Zero is a racing game, not a shooter, you don't have 50 player DM with weapons, you have 30 player races.

I'd like a few more adventure games.

And the online thing. I don't mind having a code for every game, but if I add someone, then it would be much better for them to get a message telling them so and giving them the option to add me or not.

The cool thing about NINTENDO® is that they always deliver and never let their fans down.

Yeah I'm loving all the storage on my external hard drive. And they sell those accessories so cheaply. And the games come down in price. I'm glad you don't still have to pay £35 for a 3 year old game.

What I have always wanted since the Gamecube was a Nintendo console where by all my relative needs in terms of genres were met. Just at least one of each would do. I wanted a good driving simulator, a deep RPG, strategy, beat-em-ups and sports sims without the typical Nintendo port short comings (of lesser content).

I should have just stuck with the ps2, but I think once you grow attached to a Nintendo game/world/character, you instantly 'love' Nintendo and yes, the quality back then of 1st party games was something you could only experience on a Nintendo console. But those who weren't quiet swayed by their Nintendo experience probably feel they have no need for Nintendo at all.

Software

Basically I find myself still wanting that beat-em-up, RPG, strategy and driving simulator with the Wii. There are too many action/adventure type games. Also the promise of a 'revolution' with the Wii remote hasn't been recognized imo. I expected far more creativity and expression going into the software to aid the device two years into the consoles lifespan.

Hardware

As a sound junky, I remain forever disappointed that there is no digital output for Dolby Digital surround sound. DPLII just doesn't cut it. It would have been so cool for a game like Brawl... Hearing one character's wails as it is being smashed into the fray on one rear speaker, while hearing another on the other speaker. Its a bit annoying that they choose to simplify the Wii to such an extent while the Xbox and PS2 readily had this feature available. I'm hoping some of these hardware shortcomings will be rectified in the Black version (if we ever get it)... But I'm doubtful.

And being doubtful [of Nintendo] is a reoccurring theme.

Sign in to follow this