NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
tapedeck

Where Wii Stand. (A look at how Wii stands...)

No, this isn't a debate on vertical or horizontal Wii set-ups(although that COULD be interesting for a while...)

This is all about an alternative way in which Wii could be viewed:

Let me elaborate somewhat by first stating the top 10 selling game systems of all time:

PS2 - 141 million

Game Boy - 118.69 million

PS1 - 102.49 million

DS - 94.66 million

GBA - 81.36 million

NES - 61.91 million

SNES - 49.1 million

Wii - 43.80 million

PSP - 42.30 million

N64 - 32.93 million

Now I don't want to make sales the barometer for what determines success, because, as gamers we know that's not always the case. (Use the N64 as a good example.) I just think context is important.

It could be argued that social climes, trends and sheer luck are sometimes barometers for sales success. Look at the PS2 and its DVD integration or the DS/Wii and their mantra of "change" for proof that two completely different time-frames and two completely different systems can become massive sales success stories.

What I personally think dictates a success is quality of software available for a system.

Look again at that chart and you can see that those top selling systems actually did have a lot of quality titles available for them. Mind you, there are two sides to every story. The SNES, which housed some phenomenal titles has sold only 6 million systems more than Wii. (At the time of these stats (NOV '08) Which, in fairness, the Wii only has a smidgen of the quality the SNES housed from (primarily) 3rd party developers.(Does this mean 3rd party support isn't as big a deal for Nintendo this generation?!...a whole other argument perhaps!)

Another factor determining a consoles success is sheer variety of content. The PS2 had so many games it was obscene. It seems to mirror what is happening with Wii. The term shovelware gets thrown around a lot. Mainly by the gaming press or those deemed to be "in the know". But remember, one man's shovelware is another man's game of the year. Choice seems to deem a consoles sales success. Quality seems to dictate a loyalty of sorts. As I said before, all of those top ten systems have had large amounts of quality content available for them yet it's all about balance. The N64 housed so many top tier (or quality) titles that it sold millions. Yet it had little to no choice. If the choice was there would we have seen a more pronounced standing in sales? Was "choice" on of the primary reasons the PS1 outsold the N64?

Interesting counter-point: The Sega Megadrive (Or Genesis to some) sold around 30million systems yet that console housed a vast array of choice (yet in comparison to the SNES - its main competitor at the time) had fewer quality titles to chose from.

Deeming the Wii a success can therefore come from these two angles. Are we seeing a sales success through the sheer array of titles available for the system or are we seeing success through an already established (and continued) brand loyalty - garnered through the quality of software available? Or is it both!? This is, historically the way those top 3 consoles have sold. (Gameboy/PS1 housed thousands of titles and lots of quality too).

Or even, when looking at other angles, perhaps Nintendo have created an aura around Wii that, because it is something "new" and "exciting", you have to be part of it - and thus there is no traditional choice (fighters/driving/RPG's/shooters/platformers - previous staple genres) yet that facet of sheer social climate/luck etc...perhaps comes into Wii's successes.

I personally think 2009 is Nintendo's time to focus on staple genres and upping the QUANTITY of these titles available on Wii. Yet everyone will have different wants and needs.

The Wii has the public's wallets behind it. It's had this generations "luck" via the (arguable) social economic climate/blue ocean idea. It has captured old and new gamers alike and it is still selling in huge numbers now (2million in a month in Nov 08!)

2009 will be very interesting. But it looks like Nintendo are on course to create on of their most successful (if not THE) console we will all remember fondly in years to come. If we get the games. The games we've grown to love. If we get the choice, the choice we really want as gamers (and consumers). Wii could be something we look back on and were proud to experience. (With Grandma of course!)

Thoughts as usual...: peace:

I think that the Wii's primary source of success can be attributed to the fact that there is a wide plethora of titles available for the console. As you said, one person's shovelware is another's game of the year and this is true for the Wii. They may be releasing 'casual' titles that many may see as not adequate to facilitate the needs of those that have stuck with the Nintendo brand for however many years but these titles have opened the door to wider success for the Wii and Nintendo. It's made many people realise that gaming isn't just about teenage boys sitting in the dark playing for hours on end; it can be a social activity for all of the family to get into.

The brand itself didn't carry huge connotations for the market. It's only now that people are thinking of the Wii as more of a practical device than just some games console. The Wii brand is something that'll grow even bigger if current purchasing trends continue. As the market consumerate is increased through the release of 'casual' titles the Wii's popularity will increase because it is this new consumerate who are pushing the Wii's popularity. That's not to say that the 'hardcore' or dedicated Nintendo fans aren't pushing the popularity but these would have been people who would have bought the console regardless of how well it was doing in the market.

So basically, the Wii's sales and popularity can come down to the wide range of titles available and the new market it is aimed at which are eating up the wide variety of titles available. I don't think price has much to do with it's popularity, not now. Originally, yes because it was selling much cheaper than its competitors. Now, however, an Xbox 360 can be bought for about £50 less than a Wii and £20 less with a hard drive available. So it tells us that even with the more sophisticated hardware, people are going for playability over cheaper price tag now. Again, like I've said, it's the titles which are driving the sales.

probably seems like a whole load of rambling but there you go. Too tired to be more coherent.

Nice topic!

Did the Megadrive really only sell 30 million? I thought it was a lot closer to the Snes because I still read about people who believe the Megadrive beat the Snes. How they construe a 20ish million deficit as a victory I do not know.

Again, like I've said, it's the titles which are driving the sales.

That maybe true, but no one can argue that there isn't an amazing selection of titles for the 360 as well. In my opinion, there are more QUALITY titles for the Xbox than for the Wii, and there is just as much 'shovelware' for the 360. Somehow Nintendo has marketed the Wii to the masses and I can't help but feel it's got more to do with their 'family console' approach. In times past this has really been their downfall but this time round they seem to have nailed it.

I think the the true measurement of the Wii's apparent success (again it depends how you define success), won't be known for some time.

The goal of the Wii, like the DS before it, was to bring something different to the industry - a different product, with different contents, aimed at a different market with a different marketing strategy.

Microsoft are very quick to point out the attachment ratio figure as the reason why they are most successful and whilst I don't think it trumps total installed user base, it's still a good thing to think about.

Companies can put out as many games as they want in any genre, but if people aren't buying them, then they'll eventually stop doing so. The Wii has had a lot of unique titles, but not many are doing big numbers. I think we'll start to see less variety, and more examples of Me-too products from publishers with bigger marketing budgets and more savvy.

Also, how long will the system continue to be supported by big name developers is also worthy of note. N64 sales dropped pretty sharp when the lack of Square was being compounded by the lack of everybody else.

But I think the real indicated of the Wii's success will be how many pick up it's successor. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who bought it for the novelty factor and don't use it very often - I can't imagine they will be rushing out to by the new "Wii HD" at launch.

Basically, how much of the non gaming audience has Nintendo turned into gamers? That's what they set out to do, to expand the audience. The Wii's replacement will be the key indicated as to whether they've actually achieved that or not.

I think you're putting far to much emphasis on the idea that software sells a console. If a console has next to zero game it won't sell sure, and a big release like a new Final Fantasy of MGS will boost sales but in the long term it's not the determining factor, this is a misconception I think alot of people have with regards to sales.

I think Wii's success is pretty much down it's launch price, making the public perceive it as affordable, especially when compared to it's competition at the time. More importantly though, it's becoming a cultural phenomenom, having a Wii is now as important as having the latest phone or an iPod, it's the cool hip trendy type thing.

It's beem marketed extremely well, the software is marketed well and the motion controls are a great way of appealing to the masses along with stuff like Wii Fit. Wii Sports and Wii Fit are obviously important pieces of software to help the console sell, but they're just part of the cultural phenomonem for me, hard to explain what I mean by that.

But I think the real indicated of the Wii's success will be how many pick up it's successor. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who bought it for the novelty factor and don't use it very often - I can't imagine they will be rushing out to by the new "Wii HD" at launch.

Basically, how much of the non gaming audience has Nintendo turned into gamers? That's what they set out to do, to expand the audience. The Wii's replacement will be the key indicated as to whether they've actually achieved that or not.

That's definitely the other interesting point. Can the Wii holds peoples attentions for the whole of it's lifetime, and if it does, can the predecessor convince them to part with another £180 for what many casuals may see as 'the same' thing. Can you really sell Wii Fit because it's HD?

I think the other interesting thing is by then Sony and Microsoft will have seen what Nintendo did and be quick to jump on the bandwagon, as always. They're not going to ignore that casual market, and while I don't think they'll go all out supporting motion controls and party games, they'll be stepping on Nintendo's toes for sure.

The Wii was Code-named "Revolution" NOT because it would revolutionize the way we play games like we though. The terms revolution was more meant as a kind of war where the peasants rise up against the aristocrats usually because of corruption ect. Nintendo did just that. Sony was way ahead of them for the last few generations. And Nintendo rose up against them and defeated them.

Gaming was going downhill. Every generation saw the release of sequels that were very similar to the earlier games but with a few more features, modes, ect, plus a new setting and story. Unfortunately these games were getting more and more complicated. Every generation new buttons were added to the controllers so new features could be added. There were really few places to start for new gamers. And most of them didn't look that attractive to the average person.

Nintendo changed all of this with the Wii. They released and affordable, durable, box with both games that were great for newcomers, and also fun for gaming veterans. And also games that were deep enough for the hardcore, but also simple enough for the everyday player. And games that were designed for the hardcore, but also had easier difficulty modes, ect that made them easy for a newer gamer to adapt to.

2007 was about making sure the hardcore didn't feel like they had been forgotten by releasing games like Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, ect. As well as welcoming the casual gamer, and marketing the Wii to casual gamers with games like Wii Play.

2008 was about fully securing the casual market with games like Wii Fit and Wii Music, as well as trying to keep the hardcore gamers interested with games like Brawl and Mario Kart. Brawl and Mario Kart are also games that are easy for casual gamers to move up to once they feel comfortable with the console.

2009 is going to be the year Nintendo tries to re-claim the Hardcore market. They have what looks to be an amazing first/second party line up, as well as a 3rd party line up thats looking better than ever. And there are a lot of Nintendo 1st and 2nd parties that have games in development due out late 2009 early 2010 that we don't even know about yet. With games like the Conduit and Mad World upcoming, even the core PS360 users aren't going to be able to deny that the Wii has some great hardcore games. And games like Sin and Punishment 2 and Punch-Out Wii are easily going to keep Nintendo's fan-base occupied.

The thing to keep in mind for now is for defiantly the transition in between genres. What most people here don't seem to understand is, casual gamers aren't people who just buy A Wii to play Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Wii Fit. Casual gamers also buy and love games like Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Guitar Hero, ect. When the casuals see that the New Mario Kart ect. isn't coming out on the Wii but this new console from the same company, they perhaps aren't going to rush out and buy it, but it will for sure be in the back of their minds and consider buying one perhaps with christmas money or if they happen to see one in a store. Or maybe their friend gets one and they get addicted. And by then many more people will have HD TVs and probably will be looking at a console that works better with them. If the next Nintendo Console is called "Wii HD" it will sell some units just because people think the word HD means "New", "Good" ect.

Nice topic!

Did the Megadrive really only sell 30 million? I thought it was a lot closer to the Snes because I still read about people who believe the Megadrive beat the Snes. How they construe a 20ish million deficit as a victory I do not know.

I thought the same thing but after looking at multiple sources it seems that the good old Megadrive didn't sell as much as the SNES. Apparently the SNES still sold long after release whereas the MD trailed off after the Saturn disaster. I guess brand loyalty goes a long way?

I loved the SNES and MD but I always thought the Sonic titles were the best games for the MD. They looked so vibrant and there was nothing as fast on the SNES. Inferior MD ports even made me glad I had a SNES. (Even though the lure of Sonic circa 1990's was huge in Europe!)

Mind you, when DKC hit...My life changed forever and ALL of my mates wanted (and bought) a SNES! ;) They then discovered that Street Fighter was awesome with 6 buttons and titles such as Zelda, Mario were incredibly deeper than some of the top-tier Megadrive titles available on the market. Not to mention titles like Starfox/Stunt Race FX which totally drove the SNES into the limelight once again.

Nintendo were even innovating on their software back then. From battery saves in NES carts to Super FX chips, it's been the plethora of software coupled with that stance of quality which has enabled them to stay in the console race time after time.

It's just a crime that Sonic (once held in such high regard - and envied) has fallen so far. Still an amazing character design though! Both before AND after his Dreamcast redesign.

Microsoft are very quick to point out the attachment ratio figure as the reason why they are most successful and whilst I don't think it trumps total installed user base, it's still a good thing to think about.

Attach ratios are pretty much useless stats in the end, because a console that sells a lot, automatically has a lower attach ratio, specially if it sells at huge rates.

The Wii was Code-named "Revolution" NOT because it would revolutionize the way we play games like we though. The terms revolution was more meant as a kind of war where the peasants rise up against the aristocrats usually because of corruption ect. Nintendo did just that. Sony was way ahead of them for the last few generations. And Nintendo rose up against them and defeated them.

The codename was primarily because of the gameplay style, because that's what it matters for marketing wise, but of course it can be applied to whatever we want, since it was a revolution in so many ways.

But I think the real indicated of the Wii's success will be how many pick up it's successor. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who bought it for the novelty factor and don't use it very often - I can't imagine they will be rushing out to by the new "Wii HD" at launch

The Wii's success is its own and has nothing to do with how the next console fares, but what Wii means to Nintendo and the market in the long run, that's another story.

Well, a converted customer could still buy another console, so there's no accurate way of measuring that except for an overall increase in game sales equivalent to the newcomers, but that's really hard to measure.

I also agree that marketing and public opinion is the main reason behind the success of any console, not just games, however having a shelf full of all kinds of games for all ages and well known names like Mario certainly has an impact on customers.

Thinking about it a little more, DS and Wii changed things, for the first time we see games that sell for months and months, even years, we see forumites instantly going "BOMBA" when a game doesn't sell 2 millions in 2 weeks, yet in a few months they sold really well, so maybe games have more impact than before. Case in point being Wii Fit that's still in the tops after months and no doubt shifts consoles .

For example, PS2 was a pretty bad console at launch and for quite a while and it sold like hell, to me it only proved its worth late in its life (now it's a fantastic console), yet, it always sold a lot. That was all marketing and brand. In Japan however, the huge amount of RPGs and anime games no doubt turned millions of buyers. That and the fact that lots of people bought multiple ones because they broke down. So it's not very black & white.

Attach ratios are pretty much useless stats in the end, because a console that sells a lot, automatically has a lower attach ratio, specially if it sells at huge rates.

Selling a lot of consoles doesn't have to reduce you're attachment ratio. If it does, you've got to ask yourself why people are buying your console but not it's games.

Besides, there's no money in hardware - if they sold 100 million Wiis, but sold no games, they wouldn't recoup the R&D costs incurred in building the thing in the first place.

Selling a lot of consoles doesn't have to reduce you're attachment ratio. If it does, you've got to ask yourself why people are buying your console but not it's games.

Besides, there's no money in hardware - if they sold 100 million Wiis, but sold no games, they wouldn't recoup the R&D costs incurred in building the thing in the first place.

Actually there is a lot of money in hardware, since they profit from every one sold. And it's a fact that it reduces the attack ratio, specially when it already comes with games.

Actually there is a lot of money in hardware, since they profit from every one sold. And it's a fact that it reduces the attack ratio, specially when it already comes with games.

I understand the principles with the numbers so it's not that i don't get where you are coming from. It's just that when we are talking such high sales figures for the console, every additional one unit sold makes only a small impact on the ratio. Over time, that person would normally be expected to get additional titles that would help to maintain the healthy attachment ratio figure.

And as for making money on sales, the reported 6$ operating profit per unit isn't what I'd call a lot.

I understand the principles with the numbers so it's not that i don't get where you are coming from. It's just that when we are talking such high sales figures for the console, every additional one unit sold makes only a small impact on the ratio. Over time, that person would normally be expected to get additional titles that would help to maintain the healthy attachment ratio figure.

And as for making money on sales, the reported 6$ operating profit per unit isn't what I'd call a lot.

With the Wii perhaps, but for the 360 and Ps3 however you'd expect some sales to not benefit the ratio, what with some people buying them for their media capabilities or HD player or whatever.

That aside even the Wii will lose ratio as more people buy the console, simply because the later adopted are more likely to be people who follow video games less and were less bothered about the console when it came out. It follows if they're less bothered, they'll buy less software.

And er, the $6 thing is an estimate of one site, other sources cite profits per console sold as high as $50....

Exactly, I just wanted that point to come across :P That and with 2 million Wii's sold just in November, the ratio tumbles fast. Both 360s and Wii's attach ratio is pretty healthy contrary to common opinion though.

Even if it was just 6$ won, it's better than losing money though :P Nintendo always released few games, now they're publishing more than usual, but they made it so that consoles alone give them money. We're talking about 262.8 million in profit just with hardware taking into account td's numbers and the unofficial and possibly way off 6$. This is more for business chat I suppose.

Another intelligent and amazing post by Tapedeck : peace:

Hmmmm, I think the key to success in terms of consoles shifted is the mainstream, the sheer volume and variety of games; the NES, SNES, PS1, PS2 and now the Wii has the most games released for them, I don't think it's a coincidence.

But obviously there are many other factors, Nintendos loyalty, price and the accessible control method have all played a part; but ultimately, the huge figures are the 'amount' of games. Sounds simplistic and a bit shitty but I really think it's true.

I think what happened was the price and the new control method god people interested in the Wii, it launched very strongly; the accessibility got people playing other peoples Wii's and in turn bought one themselves; keeping sales strong. This then encouraged money whoring developers to create thousands of shit for the Wii; this then encouraged more people to buy Wiis due to the above, and now the huge selection of games. Now the Wii is so successful bigger game developers are now moving their software to the Wii, meaning even more people will buy the Wii into the future. So although other factors kick started the Wii, I think the software is what has and will keep the Wii selling and selling.

It's a shame, as obviously we want the quality games to be the deciding factor, but that just isn't the case. Then what happens is perception changes, usually wrongly for said consoles. N64 was a hardcore gamers machine because it didn't have all the thousands of shit the PS2. Nevermind the fact that PS2 had probably more quality titles, doesn't matter! The N64 was more purist; the same attitude is playing out now. People are ignoring the amazing games for the Wii, dismissing them, not even knowing about them, because people are focussing on the shit....it's a shame, but inevitable!

As for where we'll go. Well, I think Nintendo will focus on the more traditional games this year. I personally think they've "grabbed" they every day person now; what they need is to show the gamers they've lost what they're missing, and hopefully they'll do that this year with some big first party games, and some great help from third parties.

I have no doubt that people will look back on the Wii as one of (of not the) greatest console there's been. All I know is that I love it, I love my family loves it and it's offering me experiences I've never had before!!

@dazzybee

You're placing way too much importance on what software really does for a consoles sales. Halo 3 didn't reaise the 360 sales by much, neither did MGS 4 for the PS3, SSBB for Wii, SMG, Metroid Prime 3, Gears of War, GTA IV or any of the big major games for their respective consoles. They showed a spike in the launch week but the numbers were insignificient.

The Wii is selling so well mainly because the masses see them advertised on TV, because they've played Wii Sports and Wii Fit at their friends are it's become a cultural phenomonom that everyone has to be a part of, just like everyone has to own an iPod, the latest phone or wear what's in fashion. Maybe not to that extreme but it's a similiar type of thing.

I just find it hard to imagine Nintendo putting a great focus on their core audience. They're money is in their new found audience, and tailering their big series and money makers to that audience. It really depends on expectations, I'm sure we'll see another Zelda and Mario and Pikmin, but I'm also expecting those not to reach their maximum potential in order to appeal to the Wii Fit and WIi sports buyers, who'll have alot more software made for them in the future.

It'll be an interesting year for the Wii as I think it'll properly dictate what third parties will ultimately offer the console and where Nintendo want to focus their developement studio's. The one thing we're guarenteed is more software, and no doubt alot more of it, whether much of it will actually bother anyone on here is another question altogether.

jammy. I wasn't saying that the AAA games cause big sales; but the sheer volume of games do.

You do realize that Nintendo actually only has 1 casual team (EAD 2 I think) who have been responsible for Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Animal Crossing, Wii Music, and Now Wii Sports Resort. Just about all of their teams are still focused on hardcore games and a few of them on bridge titles. The reason people think Nintendo aren't developing for the core anymore, is most of those teams released games in late 06/07/early 08. And since the kind of game we're talking about takes 2+ years to make, it seems that Nintendo isn't releasing any games, well, thats all going to change next year and in 2010 too, when these teams finish their projects and release them.

We've already heard about Sin & Punishment 2, Punch Out Wii, Dynamic Slash, Mario & Luigi 3, and Cosmic Walker. We also know Zelda, Pikmen, Kid Icarus, and something from the Mario Team are coming. Genius Sonority also by now probably have something just about done. And Retro should have a project announced this year.

@dazzybee

You're placing way too much importance on what software really does for a consoles sales...

I have an example that possibly merges the two:

Gameboy. Great device in the 80's. Looked the part, functionality was incredible (battery life at the time), it was easily accessible and housed few buttons.

Launch game...TETRIS.

Looked simple. Could play with two buttons. Addictive. Easily understood but with addictive depth.

After that thousands of sytems were sold on the strength of that one title. More quality titles came out of the gate. Super Mario Land and so on...

People were led to believe the system was housing fantastic games. Also kept kids quiet in the backs of cars! ;)

Next thing the market is saturated with thousands of games and the system caters to all needs. Yet most people are probably still playing TETRIS and other launch games.

How many times has this happened since? The term KILLER APP is still mentioned today.

Wii Sports:

Addictive. Easy to understand. Few buttons needed. Hidden depth to it. Keeps family members entertained. All can play together. Family time is important, a common interest, an exercise benefit.

After that the market is saturated with me-too clones (ala TETRIS and Yoshi's Cookie etc etc *names escape me atm*.)

It's HOW to get people to keep playing that is the real conundrum. Launch your killer app at the right time and people will flock to the system (Mario64/Rogue Leader/Wii Sports with Twilight Princess (as back up). Then you need that dangling carrot.

HALO 3

MGS4

GTA 4

WII SPORTS 2

MARIO GALAXY

Of course there are always the A* suprises (Bioshocks of this world).

But keeping those whom initially invested in a system interested is, in my opinion the hardest thing a console manufacturer will experience.

By that measure: Software is hugely influential to a continued success. Again, look at what DKC did for the SNES.

We're really arguing with something with far too much scope to be able to prove. For me the variety of software is a consequence of the consoles success, not the other way round.

If the Wii Library wasn't riddled with shovalware and forgetable games, but still had the marketing buzz from Wii Sports and Wii Fit it'd be selling the same. People are initially buying the console because it's this cool, affordable, must have item which everyone has to own.

Everyone can interpret it differently I guess. I don't think the Wii audience is really looking at what sort of games they can buy before they buy the console, as long as it has the ones they saw on the advert where everyone was having fun they don't care.

You do realize that Nintendo actually only has 1 casual team (EAD 2 I think) who have been responsible for Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Animal Crossing, Wii Music, and Now Wii Sports Resort. Just about all of their teams are still focused on hardcore games and a few of them on bridge titles. The reason people think Nintendo aren't developing for the core anymore, is most of those teams released games in late 06/07/early 08. And since the kind of game we're talking about takes 2+ years to make, it seems that Nintendo isn't releasing any games, well, thats all going to change next year and in 2010 too, when these teams finish their projects and release them.

We've already heard about Sin & Punishment 2, Punch Out Wii, Dynamic Slash, Mario & Luigi 3, and Cosmic Walker. We also know Zelda, Pikmen, Kid Icarus, and something from the Mario Team are coming. Genius Sonority also by now probably have something just about done. And Retro should have a project announced this year.

IT's a shame to see EAD concerned with so many games like that now, they used to be the pinnacle of Nintendo software excellence. The stuff some of their resources have turned too and still good games, just not for me :/.

I'm sure they'll still release lots of Nintendo titles for their main audience, I didn't say they wouldn't, just I don't think we're their primary focus now. What this does to their software line-up and the software itself remains to be seen, I wasn't suggesting Nintendo are going to abandon their core audience or anything... just, not care so much?

You do realize that Nintendo actually only has 1 casual team (EAD 2 I think) who have been responsible for Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Animal Crossing, Wii Music, and Now Wii Sports Resort. Just about all of their teams are still focused on hardcore games and a few of them on bridge titles. The reason people think Nintendo aren't developing for the core anymore, is most of those teams released games in late 06/07/early 08.

I had been starting to feel like we were gradually getting away from battering these "terms" about. I thought people had gotten over their phobia of the casual and hardcore and we'd got back to enjoying the games themselves...?

By that measure: Software is hugely influential to a continued success. Again, look at what DKC did for the SNES.

It added years onto the Snes lifespan because Nintendo revealed DKC at a time when the PS1 and Saturn were appearing, and people thought that DKC was for Snes successor. Imagine their surprise and delight! :grin:

IT's a shame to see EAD concerned with so many games like that now, they used to be the pinnacle of Nintendo software excellence. The stuff some of their resources have turned too and still good games, just not for me :/.

I'm sure they'll still release lots of Nintendo titles for their main audience, I didn't say they wouldn't, just I don't think we're their primary focus now. What this does to their software line-up and the software itself remains to be seen, I wasn't suggesting Nintendo are going to abandon their core audience or anything... just, not care so much?

There are 6 EAD teams, EAD 2 is the only one developing for the casual market.

I had been starting to feel like we were gradually getting away from battering these "terms" about. I thought people had gotten over their phobia of the casual and hardcore and we'd got back to enjoying the games themselves...?

Honestly, we need terms to describe that. Personally, I'll play casual games as long as they are fun and can keep me entertained. But I think anyone can see there is a difference between something like Wii Sports, and something like Metroid Prime 3. They are different games made for different audiences. And there's nothing wrong with identifying that. A good console has games in all 3 categories like the Wii does. The problem is when people begin to reject a console because they think all the games are for a certain market, that is obviously not them. But there's nothing wrong with identifying that two games are different. As long as that doesn't cause you to not enjoy a game just because its for a certain audience.

There are 6 EAD teams, EAD 2 is the only one developing for the casual market.

There are 5 EAD teams, of which one seems to be the permanent Wii Fit / Wii Music / Wii Sports people, one focused on the Brain Training titles, the Zelda people and the others who normally do MArio Kart and made Nintendogs. Even the Zelda team were forced to waste time making expanded market junk like Link's Crossbow Training, albeit they still produce good games, unfortunately ones I like are becoming less frequent.

There are the other team hopefully working on SMG 2, which'd be nice. I hope it's not as piss easy as the first though :/.

My mistake, but lets not forget that even EAD 4 has made some great titles, (New Super Mario Bros.). And EAD 2 still makes games like Animal Crossing, and Wii Sports is still a great game. EAD 1 has never actually made a bad game, and currently have a secret project in the works since Mario Kart Wii came out. EAD 3 may have made Links Crossbow Training, but most likely in a couple months, since nearly all the resources were re-used from TP. And EAD Tokyo currently has a project going that will most likely be another amazing game.

It added years onto the Snes lifespan because Nintendo revealed DKC at a time when the PS1 and Saturn were appearing, and people thought that DKC was for Snes successor. Imagine their surprise and delight! :grin:

Yeah...I was one of them!

Slowly...we will immerse every thread into a DKC fest. :laughing:

Sign in to follow this