NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Falcon_BlizZACK

Martial Arts Thread

I use to do Karate years ago, left with a purple belt with 3 black tabs which I think was 2 belts away from a junior black or something like that. Entered a few tournaments and what not, reached round 3 and lost. Thinking back thats when I decided to drop out plus I'd rather go out and play with friends than do karate back then, of course my mum wasn't happy at all lol

Looking back, I wish that I didn't leave but too busy right now to start again. I might join my uni's boxing group thing though *shrugs*

Um, what? theres 3 arts to it, and takes a year to master the most 'western' one, which i'm doing atm. It's easy to learn, feels great to do, but hard to string together, improves your memory (remembering the flow of things) and gently tones your body and economicises the mind and body to act as one.

i loves it

You lost me, Tai Chi or Shuri-Ryu? I'm guessing the former, 3 arts how/what?

I would like to know peoples impression of TKD. A lot of people do not respect it's sport/art duality.

It would seem to me to be a very good sport and one which require a heck of a lot of skill. I'm not sure I agree with your duality point - it's incredibly popular I found, everyone did it over Judo....(infidels!) and I can understand why, it looks cool and it seems very hard to master! Being able to perform some of the techniques or fighting in such a way could definitely be considered art in my view.

It would seem to me to be a very good sport and one which require a heck of a lot of skill. I'm not sure I agree with your duality point - it's incredibly popular I found, everyone did it over Judo....(infidels!) and I can understand why, it looks cool and it seems very hard to master! Being able to perform some of the techniques or fighting in such a way could definitely be considered art in my view.

Ahhh, thats nice to know! A lot of people - even other sects of Taekwondo - criticize the Olympic style. Because we fight for points, they argue that in real self defensive situations the Olympic (WTF) style practitioner won't prevail because of too many habits built on the sport rather than self defense. If you look at most WTF TKD fighters (including me) we fight mostly with our hands down (for the added agility), we get shunned for doing so.

I would say though TKD is probably the easiest to master, once you pass the basics its so easy to 'get it' because everything else goes according to it. Really to pass a grading all you need to know is your 20-24 move pattern, like every 3 months. Most become Black belts in as little as 3 years.

Ok, I didn't originally post in this thread as I haven't done much but wanted to tell you anyway as it hasn't been mentioned yet. I did a type of kung-fu called Kamon wing chun last year, it was actually very hard on my body and I decided I needed to quit smoking before I could take it seriously (which I have now done). With any luck I can go back to it this year tho :D

http://www.kamonwingchun.com/

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TB2-oMLruRw

Well I've finally done it and signed up for lessons! I'm going to be learning Wing Chun. I hope that this body of mine can do it.:)

I will probably go 2-3 times a week for about 6 hours a week if I can manage it. I have an appointment for this Tuesday.

Sign in to follow this