NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
dwarf

Achievements/Trophy Discussion

They're evil and cursed, they make you play shit games no one would normally touch, and they have a really addictive quality which saps the good will out of all human beings.

I'd put the blame on people playing crappy games more on the gamer then the gamerscore....

Also someone said they have replaced extra characters and unlockables... I think DLC has replaced that, nothing to do with achievements.

I'd put the blame on people playing crappy games more on the gamer then the gamerscore....

Also someone said they have replaced extra characters and unlockables... I think DLC has replaced that, nothing to do with achievements.

Don't agree, DLC also has a hand with that, but at least developers have to work to make those and add something, while achievements don't add a thing and it's pretty obvious that in a lot cases devs just praise the heavens that they can fool people into thinking they've added lots of extras by just adding achievements.

The problem is some gamers really do go out and complete (buy) crap games just to get the trophies or achievements. This validates their existence. also even Sony made it compulsory.

I do not like the idea but its disheartening to see how some the hardcore really approved strongly of it that even pc games are adding them.

To be fair achievements aren't new in any way they're just repackaged. Back in the days of the Megadrives and N64s we would do the exact same challenges i.e. completing the game on a certain setting, doing a level in a time limit, to obtain cheats. I tried for years getting the cheats for Goldeneye. Now the cheats are replaced with achievements. Though I must say I preferred cheats as they actually change the game experience once obtained. Maybe i'm wrong but I don't see cheat menus in games anymore. Stupid stuff like unlimited ammo, invincibility etc. I'm all in favour of achievements, as they add extra challenges to games, it's just a shame all you get are gamerpoints and bragging rights.

As for ones i'm actually trying to get on purpose? Well the only game is Left4dead. Headshot the witch, completing it without shooting your mates, without being healed, and completing it all on Expert are the main ones.

Hmmm, I think they're pretty good. I've never liked Achievements on Xbox because it's just a score and gets lumped together as one big whole which in itself doesn't actually represent anything (as I've said in another thread), so I didn't like them, though occassionally when doing something good and getting one I quite liked that, I felt a sense of "achievement", when I get one for fucking talking to the bird in Prince of Persia I just think why bother - cheap cheap cheap. Anyways, Sonys trophies are inifintely better, they make sense to me, yey, I have a trophy for finishing a game, that means soemthing; being able to compare my trophies for a game with someone else is good; more tangible, I like it a lot.

Now, personally, I really that bothered, like Diageo said, I like Smash Bros. LBP, Mario Karts etc ways of doing it; you do something and you get a reward - some clothes, a new kart, some music - THIS will make me do them.

Now HOME is opening up a great new world with achievements so that's great.

Ultimately though, it's about what you have to do. Most of the time you get the for just playing the game? How is finishing ONE level an achievement? It's bollocks and annoys me more than anything. The easiest trophy in any game should be just finishing it, the rest should be 'extra' things. Obviously you can stumble on them, but some are painfully easy!! Pointless almost.

Oh, and people playing games because of easy achievements (i.e. Jordan and Letty), well...that's just....I don't know; but my brain cannot comprehend why anyone would do this!!!!!

AND LASTLY: What I hate in general about 360/PS3 is when you're playing a really atmospheric game, like Dead Space and you get an achievement it pops up in a little box...really breaks me out of the game, can you turn this off?

And likewise, can you turn off the system telling you every 5 minutes every time a friend logs in and out of their console!??! Does my head in!!! :D

AND LASTLY: What I hate in general about 360/PS3 is when you're playing a really atmospheric game, like Dead Space and you get an achievement it pops up in a little box...really breaks me out of the game, can you turn this off?

And likewise, can you turn off the system telling you every 5 minutes every time a friend logs in and out of their console!??! Does my head in!!! :D

You can turn off notifications from the guide on the 360.

And I'm still confused as to how the PS3's system is any different to the 360's except for in name.

And I'm still confused as to how the PS3's system is any different to the 360's except for in name.

Thanks, I knew you must be able to do it.

The difference is about the detail, saying a football team has won loads of trophies is not as impressive as saying a team has won 19 league titles.....

Shit analogy I know.....

They're just easier to break down. There's more information like level, then Gold/Silver/Bronze and the the Platinum trophies.

It doesn't make too big a difference but it's nice to have.

Thanks, I knew you must be able to do it.

The difference is about the detail, saying a football team has won loads of trophies is not as impressive as saying a team has won 19 league titles.....

Shit analogy I know.....

But it all still comes down to the individual achievements/trophies for the individual games. Having 19 league titles isn't impressive if it's a pre-school league.

I have to say I think it's a great feature to have, whilst playing a game it's also nice to have the sideline achievements too. It also means if I don't pick up all the achievements through one completion I'm more likely to pick up and start the game again and effectively get my money's worth of gaming.

I'm a bit surprised at how much I like having the trophies. I liked to think I was above it, but i'm just not, and it actually sometimes factors into my decision about purchasing/playing a game, though, for the moment, im still buying and playing games with trophies, and in this new year all ps3 must have them.

I think though that it's nice to get a little thing saying that you did well at something in the game, but it required a little skill or imagination, and it's one you can't read from the list, e.g. I got a little trophy for taking a pic in Wipeout. Nothing amazing, but felt nice anyways, and I didn't know there was a trophy associated to that.

I think it's awesome. I play mostly co-op games with Shorty, and the achievements add an element of competitiveness as well as co-operation. When one of us suddenly gets an achievement and we don't know why... well it's cool!

Generally speaking the gamerscore can be overlooked. Nobody with 11,000 is going to laugh at some 'noob' at 9,000. It's only interesting when tehre are people, like HOT, who have insane gamerscores that lead me to guess he doesn't do much else besides play his games to death. To an extent I think that takes the joy out of a game, but that does depend on the game and the achievement.

For me, I hate games with excessive numbers of achievements only obtainable online. I don't have Live! Pah.

Yeah I agree. I can compare my achievements with my friends in each game as well on the Xbox. :s Harder achievements are generally higher points, so I don't even understand how the gold/silver trophies make any difference.

I'd put the blame on people playing crappy games more on the gamer then the gamerscore.....

QFT! Games should be about gameplay and having fun and not about how many numbers you have on your gamecard.

QFT! Games should be about gameplay and having fun and not about how many numbers you have on your gamecard.

But if you're enjoying racking up the points then surely that is the fun for some people?

I love achievements.

But I don't love the 'get all 900 notes' achievement and its elusivity.

Sign in to follow this