NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

This Thread Again....New ISP

Well. My parents need a new ISP soon. We'd like to avoid Orange, Virgin and AOL as much as possible.

Sky looked like a good bet, but it's extremely expensive for our location. I remembered hearing good thing about Be, but they don't do it for us.

Does anyone recommend any other ISPs? Speed doesn't matter (I think our cables do 1 or 2 meg at most), only price and unlimited usage.

Why do people dislike Virgin so much? If you live in a telewest area it's the best by a mile.

Why do people dislike Virgin so much? If you live in a telewest area it's the best by a mile.

I've had nothing but problems with them. Not that it matters: cable isn't available here anyway.

Hmm I'd say sky are worth it, depending or what you want it for. I can imagine cables with them are brilliant and the customer service is awesome, always somebody in english and always somebody who knows what they are talking about.

I can only imagine what problems you had with orange, we had the same here late last year.

The crazy low usage caps perhaps? Their reputation for bad customer service?

Hmm I'd say sky are worth it, depending or what you want it for. I can imagine cables with them are brilliant and the customer service is awesome, always somebody in english and always somebody who knows what they are talking about.

The OP said Sky in his area was at a high price which probably means he's not in a Sky enabled area and Sky are just reselling BT's Wholesale broadband, hence why I asked the OP to find out what services are available on their line other than BT Wholesale.

The crazy low usage caps perhaps? Their reputation for bad customer service?

What customer service?

The OP said Sky in his area was at a high price which probably means he's not in a Sky enabled area and Sky are just reselling BT's Wholesale broadband, hence why I asked the OP to find out what services are available on their line other than BT Wholesale.

I'm not in an area for the wholesale broadband, just ADSL.

I'll probably tell them to get BT. They don't really need the unlimited bandwidth. It's just nice to not have to think about it.

Yes I read it ;). But if cube doesn't happen to find anybody else he is comfortable with then at least he knows that sky are a decent company; expensive or not. Which was my point.

Yes I read it ;). But if cube doesn't happen to find anybody else he is comfortable with then at least he knows that sky are a decent company; expensive or not. Which was my point.

Ah ok, sorry I'm being grumpy again, I'll try to cheer up! :yay:

o2/be is whats you needs

Had nothing but trouble with virgin media before i had to switch, internet would die all the time for a few mins or hours and they would slow our speed right down even tho we had barely downloaded a thing. They didnt seem to know what was wrong and didnt seem to care. Every single time i called i got someone from India who barely spoke a word of english and only seemed to know how to read things off of a screen. The main problem was even if they sent someone to look at it .. it could be working again by the time they had got here and they would do nothing and piss off. The very moment you call to say your leaving you get a call center in the uk with some dick on the other end who has no concept of price because even when i had clearly shown him i was getting much faster internet for less money he still insisted his deal was better even tho it worked out more money!

I went from up to 2Mb with virgin for £18 a month to up to 8Mb with o2 for £7.50 a month admittedly i only get a bit above 4Mb but im MORE than happy with that :smile:

Depends on what you need. Firstly, know this: they're all shit and you should hate them.

Then try to pick the one you wouldn't mind so much being screwed over by.

http://www.jdpower.com/ These guys are a good research company (mostly UYS findings) and helps show how shit they all are. In 2006 TalkTalk was the wors for UKt; in 2007 some TalkTalk callers came to my girlfriend's house and we let them in - only to skin them alive.

Anyway - BT are alright. They mostly own the lines and can deal with any problems in that way (especially with old providers being attached - where they just sort it, where as other providers have to contact BT to get rid of the old providers attached, etc). They have a decent list of options to take that suit usage quite well. Decent speeds, as they all seem to have now days (even though the speeds are LIES) and their router they give you is pretty good (the old re-branded Thompson was alright but had one problem which is now fixed with the newer routers).

Depends on what you need. Firstly, know this: they're all shit and you should hate them.

Then try to pick the one you wouldn't mind so much being screwed over by.

http://www.jdpower.com/ These guys are a good research company (mostly UYS findings) and helps show how shit they all are. In 2006 TalkTalk was the wors for UKt; in 2007 some TalkTalk callers came to my girlfriend's house and we let them in - only to skin them alive.

Anyway - BT are alright. They mostly own the lines and can deal with any problems in that way (especially with old providers being attached - where they just sort it, where as other providers have to contact BT to get rid of the old providers attached, etc). They have a decent list of options to take that suit usage quite well. Decent speeds, as they all seem to have now days (even though the speeds are LIES) and their router they give you is pretty good (the old re-branded Thompson was alright but had one problem which is now fixed with the newer routers).

This post is pretty much what I was going to say too, the only thing I would say with BT is never expect any helpful support. Generally nothing goes wrong but if it does (assuming its your computer/router and not the 'service') BT are COMPLETELY USELESS. So you might need to post in here if you need help :smile:

I concur that BT support is useless. On a few occasions when the broadband service had been reduced to dialup speed or completely unusable, ringing them resulted in nothing. It seemed to sort itself out.

the three best UK ISP are: Be, O2 and Sky.

Virgin have to many limits all day round for the record. Their advertising sounds tempting but you reach limits very quickly(100's of mb at times) and get capped speeds for the day. So avoid.

Sign in to follow this