NEurope
Dog-amoto

Christmas dinner

So what are you having?

I usually go out for a meal with my family. We've done this for the past 17 years and I normally have steak but this year I'm going to my girlfriend's parents and we're having a proper more traditional turkey dinner (yes, I know that goose is a more traditional Christmas dinner but not nowadays)

The reason I ask this question is that quite a few of my pupils I speak to over the year aren't bothering with anything too fancy this year and are just having an Indian!?! I also noticed a few takeaway menus come through my door saying that they are open on Christmas Day.

So anybody having a tikka masala or a Hawaiian pizza??

I was in town the other day and the local post-pub only (becasue if you go while sober you'd throw up) place is advertised being "OPEN 24 HOURS CHRISTMAS DAY!" How absurd.

Anyway as far as food. My nan will cook the traditional turkey with a variety of potatoes and vegetables and I'll just replace the turkey with fake chicken (I don't believe Quorn do fake turkey...maybe they do this time of year? who knows) and veggie gravy.

So yeah pretty traditional. Looking forward to it, been too lazy to cook myself a sunday dinner (and this is essentially a bigger version) for weeks.

We have a home cooked Christmas roast.

Turkey

Pork/Beef

Mashed potatoes

Roast Potatoes

Sprouts

Stuffing

Gravy

Turnip

Onions

Beet Root

Carrots

Broccoli

Gravy

My Nannan is an amazing cook, everything she makes i love!

We always have a great dinner, specifically duck, and it's a big part of the Christmas tradition for us, most likely because Christmas Eve is the climax of the Christmas holiday in Denmark, not Christmas Day as in most of the world.

I was in town the other day and the local post-pub only (becasue if you go while sober you'd throw up) place is advertised being "OPEN 24 HOURS CHRISTMAS DAY!" How absurd.

Anyway as far as food. My nan will cook the traditional turkey with a variety of potatoes and vegetables and I'll just replace the turkey with fake chicken (I don't believe Quorn do fake turkey...maybe they do this time of year? who knows) and veggie gravy.

So yeah pretty traditional. Looking forward to it, been too lazy to cook myself a sunday dinner (and this is essentially a bigger version) for weeks.

I didn't think they could with the licensing laws n all that? Or are they open for meals all day but not alcaholic drinks? Can't imagine a pub being open without beer available though...

Also to answer the thread question it shall basically be a bigger version of sunday roast for our house.

Having divorced parents makes a shit out of any of these popular gatherings. I have solved this years thusly:

Since I'm working Christmas Eve [lazy pricks] Dads pub is closest which I'll go to when I finish work, stay the night there. Open presentings there and get back to Mummys and open presentings there, along with the dinner. Then back to Daddys to get drunk.

My dinner will consist of Turkey, Mash, Peas, Roast potatoes, Gravy... that's it.

We don't really have a traditional dinner we stick to, heh. We also celebrate on Christmas Eve with a big meal and handing out the presents.

This year we'll be getting our food from a caterer I think, as it's nice and easy and we simply have to warm it up in the oven. =P

I think we'll be having some small things first like mini pizzas and mini sausage rolls and whatever. Then a salad with salmon, then tomato cream soup, for the main dish we'll have vegetables with salmon and croquettes, and for dessert I think there will be tiramisu or chocolate mousse... or both. X3

On Christmas Day we might have some nice food too since grandpa is coming over, but it won't be as big as the meal on Christmas Eve.

I'll be cooking a Turkey with roast potatoes, stuffing, sausages wrapped in bacon and gravy, if the missus wnts any veg, she can do it herself.

The one day in the year that my Dad cooks, and my Mum gets drunk. Best family time all year.

Probably be having turkey, roasties, veg, stuffing etc.

Christmas pud custard and creeeeammm for afters :D

I didn't think they could with the licensing laws n all that? Or are they open for meals all day but not alcaholic drinks? Can't imagine a pub being open without beer available though...

Also to answer the thread question it shall basically be a bigger version of sunday roast for our house.

Sorry I should have specified. Its a crummy takeaway place, not a restaurant.

Sorry I should have specified. Its a crummy takeaway place, not a restaurant.

lol, ok. Suppose if anyone is really lazy they can just get xmas dinner there then! :heh:

We always go out as we have a big familly and theres no way my mom would cook for 15+ people. She did it once when we were younger and has ever since taken us to hotels, haha.

Should be nice. Homecooked meals are better, but meh. You get the atmosphere and thrill of being out this way, then when we get home about 5 o'clock the video/board/card games come out and the day continues well into the night. I think we'd get bored if we were home all day.

Christmas dinner, in recent years has been the realm of my dad.

The menu this year:

Turkey

The most awesome roast potatoes in existence

Sausage meat stuffing

Pigs in blankets

Assorted Veg

Gravy. Lots of Gravy.

Relatively simply, but very tasty.

Christmas dinner, in recent years has been the realm of my dad.

The menu this year:

Turkey

The most awesome roast potatoes in existence

Sausage meat stuffing

Pigs in blankets

Assorted Veg

Gravy. Lots of Gravy.

Relatively simply, but very tasty.

*high five*

Can't beat simple really, thats always the way ours are. Roasties are the best! :D

Im a Vegan so I normally have the standard veg , nomrally Neeps , spruts,carrots .

As for the Turkey replacement i havent quite figured it out yet , im gong to look in holland and barret and a health food shop on monday , thinking maybe Beech Smoked Tofu or some sort of Special veg/nut cutlet thing .

Usuallu we have a massive roast, turkey, chicken, roast potatoes, veg, sausages, lots of different stuffing, etc.

This year, however, we'll be in Austria(4 days, wooo :heh:) so don't have a clue what it's gonna be like!

For me, it's simply the exact same sort of thing I'll have for a Sunday roast, except with turkey as the meat.

Its the traditional dinner for myself this year

Turkey

Beef

Gammon

Roast Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Peas

Carrots

Sprouts (i won;t be eating them, disgusting)

Parsnips

Pigs in Blankets

Gravy

Its the traditional dinner for myself this year

Turkey

Beef

Gammon

Roast Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Peas

Carrots

Sprouts (i won;t be eating them, disgusting)

Parsnips

Pigs in Blankets

Gravy

Sprouts are lovely! Never had parsnips though.

For the past 2 years we've gone to a restaurant as my gandma has had enough of being the chef (She is 70 something, so i don't blame her). This year we will be going to a restaurant (yet again) having a 3 course meal, with the main one being a carvery. This will be the time where i pile my plate high with anything edible, mainly to get my moneys worth, as it is £30 pp.

Starter:

- Tomato and red pepper soup

Main - Carvery

- Turkey

- Beef

- Gammon

- Roast Potatoes

- New potatoes

- Stuffin

- Yorkshires

- Litres of gravy

Desert

- Chocolate gateaux with creeeaaaammm

Wow, writing that has made me hungry. To the kitchen!!

Pretty much a traditional roast Turkey dinner at mine.

Turkey

New or Mash Potatoes

Roast Potatoes

Yorkshire Pud

Pigs in Blankets (Read: Essential)

Gravy

Veg

I can't imagine having anything else, a take away on Christmas day sounds absurd.

For the past 2 years we've gone to a restaurant as my gandma has had enough of being the chef (She is 70 something, so i don't blame her). This year we will be going to a restaurant (yet again) having a 3 course meal, with the main one being a carvery. This will be the time where i pile my plate high with anything edible, mainly to get my moneys worth, as it is £30 pp.

Starter:

- Tomato and red pepper soup

Main - Carvery

- Turkey

- Beef

- Gammon

- Roast Potatoes

- New potatoes

- Stuffin

- Yorkshires

- Litres of gravy

Desert

- Chocolate gateaux with creeeaaaammm

Wow, writing that has made me hungry. To the kitchen!!

I've never had yorkshires with my Christmas dinner before, I bet that's really sweet actually!! Neither have I been out for dinner before, I'm not sure if I'd like it or not?! Is everyone really cheery 'cos I'd like it then, oooh and people dressed as elves and stuff?

Not sure what I'll have for my dinner yet but I'm sure it'll be awesome 'cos Shorty's mum makes the best grub!

I've never had yorkshires with my Christmas dinner before, I bet that's really sweet actually!! Neither have I been out for dinner before, I'm not sure if I'd like it or not?! Is everyone really cheery 'cos I'd like it then, oooh and people dressed as elves and stuff?

I wasn't sure if i'd like it the first time we did it, but it's surprising fun. There's usually around 12 of us in 'our group', so a fair few get tipsy and it's just a good laugh. I don't think people will be dressed as elves :( but it would be amazingly amazing if they are. :)