NEurope
Kirkatronics

How Much Is Spent On You At Xmas?

It just depends really for me, never a particularly large amount from my parents as I've got 2 brothers and 2 sisters. I don't usually ask for much, last year I got given some money towards my skiing trip, the year before was a 'big' present where I got an iPod Nano.

Christmas isn't about the presents for me, it's just having a good time with family. If I want to buy something I'll just save up and buy it myself.

This thread isn't anymore "show off" than the "post the last shitty thing you bought" or "brag about some shit that happened today in your life".

*cough*

About a £100-£150 I should think. :)

I'm very grateful for it.

Yeah, I love Christmas because we spend the day/evening together (actually two, since we start celebrating on Christmas Eve). It's just all really nice and we have yummy food and just a lot of great atmosphere in the house.

Plus it's nice giving presents to other people. =)

Probably about £20-£40. I still think that's too much.

I have a job so if there is anything I actually want I buy it although I'm trying to cut down. I've helped this loads by renting all my games and films. I also tried to knit myself a scarf...after about a foot I realised it looked awful. :heh:

I should really spend less on other people this year but I always get a bit carried away. This year I'll be better.

I would take part in Buy Nothing Christmas but if I do it the other way around I won't annoy anyone.

BND08_bg.gif

We should consume less.

My mum has given me £100 to spend on myself for Christmas :-

£30 has gone on Call of Duty 5, £10 on Wall-E DVD and the rest has gone on fixing the exhaust of my car.

I'll probably recive some socks and aftershave/shower gel giftpack as a suprise on the day itself aswell.

Hmmmm, who knows! Growing up I was spoilt a little and even now I get a lot spent on me; but then I spend a lot on them too. I don't see a problem with it; yes of course it's about family and friends and having a good time; but why not have a time to give each other presents to show how much you mean to each other. It gets problematic when it's one sided, unappreciated, people spend more than they have etc. No you don't NEED to give presents to show how much you care about each other, but it's nice to, especially if it's presents that are really personal, or you're able to give someone something they couldn't afford themselves!

I like it when a lot thought goes into a present. I don't forget those.

My sister got me a wall clock she quite obviously grabbed from work. That was so lame. Bless her. :heh:

Yeh. The pressies where a lot of thought goes into them are the best. I still have stuff given to me by friends long ago who I no longer have contact with that had a lot of thought put into them so they are kinda special. When I buy stuff, I sort of put effort into it. I mean, for my father it's simply a case of what he likes to watch and then I get something along those lines. With my nephew, it's a nightmare because my sister (his mother) spoils him and buys him loads so I have no idea what to give him. But I normally put the effort in to find him something appropriate for his age and something he'll hopefully enjoy (fingers crossed for Dumbo this year). I don't put any thought into what I get my mother. This is purely because I know exactly what she is interested in and I just get something that would mean a lot to her.

I will admit though that xmas in my house isn't the typical thing. We're supposed to spend time with each other but the only time we all sit down with each other is when we go round to my grandparent's house and it's most of the family. Kind of antisocial but each to their own. I'm fine with it. I spend enough time with my family that I mainly use xmas as an escape from my life for a day. That may seem selfish but my parents and siblings do the same. We all just want a day of escape.

10 quid secret santa.

That was my stuff last Christmas. Although, I think I'll be getting some other stuff from close people, so that'll be something nice.

It depends. If there was something in the £100-150 range that was practical and I 'needed' — like a new monitor, or something like that — then my family would probably buy it for me if I asked for it. That's kind of the key point, though: "if I asked for it."

I was made redundant recently, but prior to that I was earning enough money to buy things if I wanted them; the minimum wage goes a long way when you're a tee-total loner. There's the odd thing that I'd like but couldn't really justify the cost of — an iPhone being a recent example, as my iPod is on its way out and my mobile is busted — but that's not the sort of thing I'd ask for from my family anyway. I guess I feel it's rather conceited to ask for expensive things that aren't pragmatic, as it suggests some kind of expectation.

This year I asked for Valkyria Chronicles for the PS3 — although I, err, bought that and gave it to my parents to give to me — a CD from my sister, and I might ask for another album or two. Christmas gifts are perfect for picking up those smaller things which you keep meaning to buy but never seem to, which in my case tends to be music or books.

Rok..how about no. Does it matter if someone gets lots spent on them? Does that make them a spoiled brat? No. If they're obviously ungrateful for it, then yes it does but otherwise that was a pointless comment that seemed to intend to cause an arguement.

Doesn't make fuck all difference to me how much who gets spent on what.

But for someone to start a thread saying they get £600 for Christmas acting like it's the norm, then they are spoilt, most people don't get anywhere near that, and they know it.

And for the record I'm not having a penny spent on me at Christmas.

I don't get told how much, I don't want to know either. I've spent over a £100 on the people I love and I'd happily if I had the money spend ten times as much.

It's always about the thought of thinking about somebody at a potientally really nice time, rather than giving a present and leaving!

But for someone to start a thread saying they get £600 for Christmas acting like it's the norm, then they are spoilt, most people don't get anywhere near that, and they know it.

He assumed it was the norm, and then discovered it reeeeeealy isn't. To be fair, that is hardly his fault, and that hardly makes him a "spoilt brat".

He assumed it was the norm, and then discovered it reeeeeealy isn't. To be fair, that is hardly his fault, and that hardly makes him a "spoilt brat".

The blame has to go with his parents to be fair.

Rok's got a pretty good point.

In parts of the world £600 is more than most people make in their lifetime.

There is a difference with someone being grateful for something and actually realising how significant a sum of money is relative to different people.

Shame I'm being hypocritical. It's hard not to be but I'm trying to change.

Hang on, lets be fair now.

Look back at the first post:

Was chatting to someone at work today and realised i actually recieve ALOT more than most people do.

Let's R-R-R-Rewind. He says ALOT more than most people do.

So, he isn't making a thread to brag. My theory is that he chatted to someone at work, realised he received a lot more than them, and was curious about if he was the only one to receive that huge amount in gifts and money, or if there were others, too. What is the norm? There is no norm.

What is the norm? There is no norm.

And this is why I love you. You dirty Man U fan. :heh:

Yeah leave the guy alone; who gives a shit if gets 10 grand spent on him of his parents can afford it and it doesn't affect his appreciation etc. And don't even get me started on the Daily Mail bullshit about "some countries can use £600 to supply water for a thousand villages for 40 years" - THAT'S NOT HOW THE WORLD WORKS!!!!!!

And this is why I love you. You dirty Man U fan. :heh:

Thank you, squire.

As for gifts: a mate bought me a fish-shaped xylophone last year for my birthday. Basically, in the first year of Uni, I was in the shop with her, and mentioned how coool it was, and how one day it would be mine.

Two years later, I was unwrapping it as a gift. That's a gift! It didn't cost the world, but the price wasn't relevant. The memory was attached to it, and I treasure that more than almost everything.

Considering im yet to be asked by anyone not much I expect.

Now my parents are split my dad won't put much thought into it, nor will he know how much is usually spent so at best im expecting a stock present (deodrant, chocolates etc) and maybe £20.

My mom is broke so I've not even bothered saying anything. I'm sure she'll get me stuff I like (or receipts). I did mention the other day I saw a nice scarf in H&M so I hope she gets me that at least.

But on the bright side, for the first time in four years I've not lent my mom £1000. And I have this (perhaps misguided) idea Christmas may be a bit less dramatic...or at least my nan'll have a load of gin. Actually thats what else im expecting; a bottle of Gordons. Which'll be nice, not had some in ages.

i know that the amount to be spent on me is exactly £300. my mum said thats how much they would spend this year.

its actualy a lean christmas in my family's terms. we had a fair amount of money most of my life, though the past few years have seen a decline. i guess you could say i was ungreatful as a kid. it wasn't that i wasn't greatful, it was more that i didnt appreciate the value of money.

if my parents shop smart, my christmas list should come to less then £200, the kicker is the games ive asked for. they wont shop around so will spend alot on them. also, ive asked for new trainers for the gym, i dont care if they look good or not, im going to be a sweaty, grunting man in them any way, i imagine they will want to spend around £70 on them.

as for me buying gifts, i recon ive spent around £70 so far.

my sister has spent so much on me, my parents, outher relatives. i feel like a jerk that all she will get from me is two books. her generosity is just anouther way of putting me to shame.

the best gift however, is despite a scare from my grandad, the family are still all going, and we even have a lovely new baby joining us. reading how outhers have lost loved ones makes me apprciate just how precious time with loved ones is.

I don't know how much ill get spent on me this year, I know my dads renewing my passport for me and getting me some new cricket gear for the summer and my mums getting me a new Xbox which i bought for her when Sainsburys were selling them cheap a few months ago. Other than that i don't know.

I do know that I've spent about £500 on gifts for family and my girlfriend and her family :) I've been saving since the summer so I could treat them :)